Mar 2006
A QW player named Retroactive is having a problem with EZQuake, goes like this:

Quote:
Computer: Dell insperon 1300
Vid device: intel 915gm
Issue: The console doesn't retain text.
Client: Ezquake

Description:
If I load up a map and pull down the con, any commands I type will not be retained in the log..or the con is blank/empty/without font

I have a feeling it has something to do with the console modifications that ezquake does to it, specifically that it's transparent.

Any clues fellas?

I think this issue is the same to what another player I know who reported problems with FuhQuake. He sees console text in-game, but if he goes to console it is blank"

Quote:
INTEL(R) EXTREME GRAPHICS 2 REPORT

Report Date: 05/04/2006
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 08:59:41
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4396
Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 509 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 96 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 8 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2793 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2572
Device Revision: 02

When in console ... no console text!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/trance1/LOA/fuhquake000.jpg

Quote:
Yes no messages. I drop down the console and it's blank. i can't even see if i type anything... but if i die, i drop it down and see everything fine.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/trance1/LOA/fuhquake001.jpg
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2006-05-25, 04:44
805 posts

Mar 2006
I have a friend back here in Brazil with the same problem! He is using a motherboard with chipset Intel 845G.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5108/a9bh.jpg
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2006-05-25, 06:09
182 posts

Mar 2006
Yeah, this is bothering me.

Well, here is my concern ... those stupid Intel cards come with a lot of computers, especially the cheap ones.

And Retroactive's computer is a laptop, so as far as I know, there is 0% chance of him ever upgrading.

And I'd bet that desktop computers that come with those play Quake 3 and Quake 4 just fine. Will those players buy a video card for their computer when all their other games work just fine?

Here is another thing of note, it is my understand that ancient old GLQuake doesn't have this problem on either of these player's computers.
--------
2006-05-25, 07:00
4 posts

Apr 2006
I've got an Intel 865G and there's definitely something screwed up with the Intel chipsets, quake 3 and quake 2 run just about perfectly. However, it can't run GL Fuhquake or GL Ezquake properly, various issues/bugs include missing console text or the console/conback just flashes continuously...
2006-05-25, 08:56
405 posts

Jan 2006
At work i have the same problem, i'me goto advanced propertys of device and turn off almost all "extensions" like triple bufferising, texture compression etc, playable now, may be issue in one of this option but i not check this since i'm not really play at work. But this really strange/weird, cos q3 work ok without this trick, seems qw ogl engine contain some bug or something.
<3
2006-05-25, 12:52
182 posts

Mar 2006
Hopefully, there is a commandline setting or cvar setting that fixes this.

Dell sells a lot of cheapo computers and I think all of them come with these (shitty) video cards. In fact, I would imagine all of the computer manufacturers sell a large majority of computers like these (except the AMD ones, of course).

Sure they could use software mode, but that's mighty ugly compared to how nice GL looks.
--------
2006-05-25, 21:37
54 posts

Mar 2006
This happens on my work PC as well...

It is a microstar motherboard with onboard video
2006-05-28, 02:28
182 posts

Mar 2006
Do any of you with this issue have trouble running ZQuake (GL) or FTEQW in GL?

Just curious if this is an engine specific problem or if it affects multiple engines. I am going to guess it works perfect with ZQuake based on the comments that GLQuake runs fine.
--------
2006-05-30, 03:49
182 posts

Mar 2006
I tried some different GL clients on an Intel on-board video laptop today.

EZQuake: Wouldn't Start
FuhQuake: Wouldn't Start
ZQuake: Wouldn't Start
MQWCL: Wouldn't Start
FTEQW: Started and seemed to work just fine.

This was done on an Intel 82852 Graphics Controller in a Dell computer that was 2 years old.

I was kind of surprised ZQuake and MQWCL didn't start. GLQuake worked fine so I expected those clients to work. Go figure.

Anyway, based on this, if someone has one of these on-board video display adapters that seems to hate FuhQuake and EZQuake in GL, FTEQW is definitely worth trying to see if it works ok.
--------
2006-07-23, 09:06
810 posts

Jan 1970
ive got a crappy intel card as well, (82865G) and i was googling hoping to find a solution to the blank console issue, but it seems knowone has one :S
As for the console flashing problem, for some reason i think it has something to do with how many lines are in your autoexec file, because when i hid a line using # it didnt flash, and also when i added a command to the list. The console flashed when I had 22 working commands in my autoexec file and didnt when i had 21 or 23.
2006-08-16, 23:07
810 posts

Jan 1970
I have the same problems. WinXP SP2, Intel 82865G, FuhQuake 0.31 Build 650.

First I had a problem with the flickering console and menu. I realized that this only occurs in 32bpp mode, so I am stuck with 16bpp. No flickering problems now, but not without a price. Then I ran into the blank console problem. Console is fine at startup. Console is fine while in observer mode. Console "breaks" upon entering the game. No text, just conback. Console is back to normal when I die, return to observer mode, or disconnect. I have no solution for this, besides buying a new video card.
2006-08-19, 07:42
810 posts

Jan 1970
I have no idea what the crosshair has to do with the console text not appearing, but after I applied a crosshairimage I am no longer experiencing this problem. If you have an Intel graphics card, try it for yourself and tell me if it works for you. If you need a crosshair image, you can use this one that I made, just download it to the appropriate directory (in my case it was c:\quake\fuhquake\crosshairs\). Then you'll need to set a few variables:

crosshairimage "reticle"
crosshairsize 3
crosshairalpha 0.5

As soon as I issue the crosshairimage command the console text shows up, and when I remove the crosshairimage, it goes blank again. *shrug*
2006-08-19, 10:56
1011 posts

Feb 2006
interesting, sounds like some blending issue with the drivers
2006-08-19, 20:39
810 posts

Jan 1970
It's hard for me to tell if it's a driver problem or software bug. I'm gonna say driver problem, but others have said Q2 and Q3 work fine for them. I can't confirm this myself, though.

The crosshairimage thing also seemed to cure the same glitches I was getting with Qrack. I can't say for EZQuake, it doesn't run right at all on this system. ; ) But if anything, give this a try and tell me if it works for you Intel graphics card sufferers, I mean users.
2006-08-19, 20:46
810 posts

Jan 1970
Oh and why isn't there a con_alpha cvar in FuhQuake? (or am I blind) : (
2006-08-19, 21:00
1754 posts

Jan 2006
scr_conalpha
2006-08-19, 22:25
182 posts

Mar 2006
Hexed wrote:
I have no idea what the crosshair has to do with the console text not appearing, but after I applied a crosshairimage I am no longer experiencing this problem. If you have an Intel graphics card, try it for yourself and tell me if it works for you. ....
As soon as I issue the crosshairimage command the console text shows up, and when I remove the crosshairimage, it goes blank again. *shrug*

I'll see if I can get someone I know with the problem to confirm this solves it, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Nice work 8)
--------
2006-08-20, 18:10
810 posts

Jan 1970
Thanks Peppe.

Thanks Baker, it seems like a stretch to say that this little workaround is going to work for anyone else but me, but it's worth a try.
  18 posts on 1 page  1