User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2021-02-12, 05:49
32 posts

Sep 2016
I wish i could one day experience qw without the slide to a stop when, say let go of right strafe. One have to tap the opposite movement key to stop on a dime. I think this leads to a very floaty feel. What would qw feel like without this weird behavior? What if one could stop the instant one release movement key?

And this is not what idrive solves or helps. (not that i use idrive)
Beeing a piano player, this slide to stop movement feels like playing piano with sustain switch on.
I don't think removal of this would lead to anyone having more of an advantage over someone, it would just give qw more of a crisp feel.

This could also be enabled/disabled with a server command if majority don't like it or feel it's not pure qw enough.
2021-02-12, 08:24
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
2021-02-12, 19:07
133 posts

Dec 2008
You can try that by increasing sv_friction value.

Launch ezquake.
Set sv_friction to 0 in the console.
Start single player game.
Observe the effect.

Now do the same with sv_friction 20.
This is not perfectly what you want to try but something similar.

Compensate decreased speed of movement with larger sv_maxspeed.
Again you need to restart single play mode from main menu.

This highly affects with how we do start accelerating. Thus hardly it will be changed.
2021-02-17, 10:24
61 posts

Mar 2006
yeah in counter strike you have to "counter strafe" aka tap the reverse strafe key to stop instantly so you get the best first shot accuracy. It still has quake 1/QW movement at it's core.
2021-02-18, 04:00
32 posts

Sep 2016
tried the sv friction 20, its totally not what I meant. Feels slow like a turtle.
I mean keep other movement, like keep acceleration when one start a strafe from standstill. But remove the slide to stop.

At least it would be fun to try how it feels. I Imagine it would feel more crisp, which would help like at low/bridge dm4.

If there was a command that was like stopmoveright etc, one could make some + \- alias that would stop movement on release.
2022-04-03, 18:12
1 post

Apr 2022
sv_stopspeed - default is 100, lowering causes the player to slide more whilst increasing allows the player to stop moving immediately. 300 feels good. I know I'm a year late, but hopefully this will help out any future googler as this is the top result for the topic.
  6 posts on 1 page  1