User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2021-01-15, 20:31
223 posts

Aug 2011
Hello,

I thought Iīd try to get a discussion going about the features of unezQ. Some of them seem like nobrainers to allow, while others might be more controversial. These are the features: Click here

And this is my rundown of them and what I think:

cl_autoshownick: Since you can already bind every button to have an additional ";shownick", if youīre so inclined, this will not change anything. I myself wonīt be using this, as I prefer to decide when shownick is shown and not. But others might want it. And since the functionality is already there and allowed, why not make it easier and more professional looking.

teaminlay: I think this is a good middle-ground for the teamoverlay_off camp and the teamoverlay_on camp. This basically justs pastes whatever teamsay your teammate have reported onto your screen, and you can decide how long it will stick there. You still have to pay attention to this part of the screen and judge whether the information is relevant or obsolete, which means that I likely will not use it, since I prefer (and am used to) reading the teamsays presented at the top of the screen. I donīt think there was much complaining about removing the "player_1 rides players_2īs rocket" from the top of the screen to allow those lines for teamsays, so I donīt really see why this should be much of an issue either. Itīs just another way of presenting the information that your teammates still have to give you, and you still have to read and figure out whether itīs relevant or obsolete.

cl_smartspawn: The weird (buggy?) spawn system in QW has always bugged me. Sometimes you jump on spawn and sometimes you shoot on spawn. Sometimes neither. But it always seems to be out of ones control and arbitrary. I think this is a good command that will make the game feel more polished. Ofcourse it will change how the game is played at certain times, but Iīm all for removing the randomness of it.

+pogo/-pogo: I donīt really like this command, as it changes one of the fundamental aspects of QW; the movement. There are some aspects of the game that are sacred to me and I really like, and this is one of them. There is a certain skill element to have to time your jumps when speedjumping, albeit quite easy, but you still have to do it. If you want to jump, you press the button

scr_sbar_drawarmor666: If this is already in then there isnīt much to say.

Regarding rulesets I think that the above features should be allowed in atleast smackdown (minus pogo). Maybe QCON can be the conservative choice for some conservative organizers?

I also think that clients should be in complete compliance with the rulesets, allowing and disallowing the same things, so we can have a more free client side while having discussions primarily about the rulesets, what they should allow and whatnot. That way conservative organizers can choose QCON and we can whine about QCON being too strict, instead of having this incredibly messy discussion where people donīt know whats going on, and rather than trying to figure out all the inīs and outīs itīs easier to just say no altogether.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2021-01-16, 14:10
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Probably these opinions are less about the gameplay impact and more about the implementation, I don't have strong opinions other than rulesets & teaminlay.

rulesets being changed without disconnecting: I don't understand why you would want this, it gives the ability for someone to change ruleset after someone has checked which ruleset they are using, but just before match starts. Given that NA Discord recently banned a player for doing this when changing the fairpacks mode (by changing the mode and then spamming text and going /ready, so that it was hard to spot on the console), it seems odd to allow people to change rulesets in the same way.

cl_smartspawn: on high ping, I don't think this will fix the issue where your client can send fire command but you're gibbed server-side by the time your +attack arrives at the server, and you then respawn? I think this is like the lagteleport problem, where the server should block +attack if you've died and haven't acknowledged that packet, and then block +attack again if you've respawned and haven't acknowledged that packet?

cl_autoshownick: again, if this is accepted I'd prefer to see it supported by the server and not the client sending /shownick commands

+pogo/-pogo: again, server-side (change in PM_CheckJump?) if accepted

teaminlay: has this been drastically changed since first implemented? this originally included circumventing teamoverlay being voted off server-side (by sending specially formatted mm2), so that using unezquake gave you teamoverlay even if the other team didn't have it. Which means these should be blocked by the server if teamoverlay is voted off (and at this point we go back to previous 'discussion' about it). I think if it needs to work over multiple mods then move it out of ktx and into mvdsv, but I don't understand why circumventing teamoverlay setting on the server is necessary. It's not clear in the example video if 'billy' has teaminlay enabled or not, or is sending automatic updates.

armor_pent_666: have implemented this in 3.6, as it makes the two huds consistent (the original was added in December 2008).

Have discussed with bogo before about what should be in client & server, and appreciate that they feel lots of servers in NA will struggle to be upgraded (same issue but to lesser extent in EU).
2021-01-17, 15:35
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
For Thunderdome 1on1 I can't accept "+pogo/-pogo" only.
Other described things are for teamplay or isn't important.
2021-01-19, 09:53
68 posts

Jul 2013
on the video showing the team inlay the information changes without any mm2 bind? so basically just another team overlay? don't understand the difference just seems like a way around something that is not wanted by majority
2021-01-19, 16:34
223 posts

Aug 2011
sae wrote:
on the video showing the team inlay the information changes without any mm2 bind? so basically just another team overlay? don't understand the difference just seems like a way around something that is not wanted by majority

I don't think that's how it works. I think he's pressing mm2 binds by the sound of his keyboard. Take a closer look. At any rate, what I'm arguing for is for the mm2 messages to display in a teamoverlay format.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2021-01-19, 18:00
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
sae wrote:

They're configured to do both. To quote Bogojoker: "The point was experimentation. We are configured to do both with the few variables we have. I believe /teaminlay_duration 0 stops the auto report and then only shows team messages in the inlay for 5 seconds"

In other words you're right as the default of /teaminlay_duration is 1 meaning an auto report happens each second making it basically client side teamoverlay. However if you put the default value of that to 0, it would work how Carapace described it (both ways are possible).

Keep discussing! =)
  6 posts on 1 page  1