User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Strategies & Tactics
2020-06-21, 14:30
14 posts

Apr 2012
# How to perform the dm6 tube to GL rocket jump

Player performs a circle jump as they enter the top opening of the tube.
Player performs a 180.
Player lands and immediately rocket jumps at the edge of the bottom of the tube.
Player flies through the air and lands on the upper level by the GL.
The crowd goes wild.

While you can jump straight to learning the jump, I found that breaking it down into smaller parts helps a great deal.

For learning the jump, we will assume you are performing it immediately upon entering the MH room from GA room via the teleporter. Performing from the MH side of the room is basically everything in this guide only reversed. Some players may find one side easier than the other. We will focus on the teleporter side of the room. One of the advantages of beginning here is that it requires no setup, and multiple attempts in a row are as simple as teleporting into the room again.

## The first jump

The player will perform a circle jump beginning within the MH room. The distance between the teleporter exit and the tube entrance are nearly perfect for the setup to this first jump. You will want to jump just as the player enters the tube. Jumping too early will likely cause the player to stumble on the step-up entering the tube. Jumping early enough to clear this step-up is far too early to land in the correct location. You'll want to practice this jump such that you're not jumping before the step-up.

It is possible from this first jump to clear the tube entirely. You may want to practice this just to get a sense of where the edge of the tube is. Once you can clear the tube, you'll find that slightly dialing back your circle for the first jump is going to be an ideal setup.

## The second jump

### Forwards
The second jump will occur immediately after landing the first.

The placement for the second jump will be right in the middle of the edge of the tube. The ramps on the side of the tube are not part of this trick. In fact, if you jump from those ramps you will likely bump your head which will prevent the rocket jump from being successful.

I recommend to practice this second jump without making an attempt to perform the rocket jump at all. Simply perform the first cirlce jump, aim to land in the middle of the tube, and perform the second jump. You should feel as though you are about to fly over the teleporter. You will clip your feet and you will teleport back to GA. If you find that you're entering the teleporter lower than this, you may be hitting you head inside the tube. This suggests you are not landing far enough down the pipe with your first cirlce jump.

TIP: You can buffer your second jump. Practice pressing your jump key immediately after your circle jump. Use this moment to concentrate fully and ensuring your jump is lined up perfectly straight. Use the teleporter or the textures on the tube as a visual guide to line this up consistently. You should find that by applying the second input first and then correcting your air control, you'll have more consistent jumps into the top of the teleporter.

### Adding the 180
Next, we want to take everything from doing this second jump forwards, but add a 180 into the mix.
If you are buffering your second jump input, you'll want to do the following:
1 - Circle jump, find your visual aid to get a good straight jump
2 - Buffer the second jump
3 - Perform micro alignment change if necessary. Then let go of your movement keys! (more than likely, if you're way off at this point, you may just not want to commit to the rest of the trick)
4 - Perform a 180 using only your mouse. Use the textures on the tube to line this up.

You should then pop up into the air and fly into the top of the teleporter backwards. You will sometimes not be aligned and bump your head. Get a feel for what the good version of this pop feels like. This is the key to the trick.

### Just shoot
Assuming you are already buffering the second jump, and if you are able to perform the second jump with the 180 as described above, you really just need to shoot a rocket. Get the muscle memory down for the above before even trying to shoot.

One of the most common things that will happen when you begin to add the rocket is that you'll miss the GL ledge completely, landing very near the top of the NG steps. If you find this happening, you are probably missing the edge of the tube with your rocket -- shooting the steep ramp just below the tube exit instead. To correct this, you will want to concentrate on aiming your rocket to be above the lip. This can be counterintuitive, as the results of your jump are low, you would want to fire more directly down. However, the tube->GL jump is as much a distance trick as a height trick. Aim your rocket closer to the angle you'd use to rjump to RA from RL on dm6, or rjump to RA from the floor below steps on aerowalk.

When you get it, you're going to clear the ledge by a mile. I find i either miss the jump entirely (not shooting the lip of the tube), or I land on the downramp after the GL.

--gnz, amateur dm6 rocket jumper
2020-06-21, 14:31
14 posts

Apr 2012
2020-06-21, 17:46
172 posts

Sep 2013
Excellent description!

While I'm not flawless at this jump (who even plays dm6!), all of the components you mentioned (out of tele setup, restrained first jump, buffering 2nd jump, and focusing on the lip landing placement) are the things that I think about when attempting. So it is great to hear about the little pieces involved in this trick in this kind of way.

Are there similar tricks on other maps that you could break down?
* aero 2 jump to red
* aero ramp jump to cells
* dm2 jumps involving the high mega
2020-06-21, 22:58
14 posts

Apr 2012
BogoJoker wrote:
Excellent description!

While I'm not flawless at this jump (who even plays dm6!), all of the components you mentioned (out of tele setup, restrained first jump, buffering 2nd jump, and focusing on the lip landing placement) are the things that I think about when attempting. So it is great to hear about the little pieces involved in this trick in this kind of way.

Are there similar tricks on other maps that you could break down?
* aero 2 jump to red
* aero ramp jump to cells
* dm2 jumps involving the high mega

First of all - awesome to have you validate a lot of the things I processed when putting the jump together.
Second - I want to do the aero ramp jump next. Which, incidentally, you recently taught to me! But I'll put it together in a similar manner.
2020-06-22, 05:47
214 posts

Feb 2011
I wouldn't say I spent countless hours on this jump in the past, but I did try it a fair amount and never managed to get it.

After you sent me your draft document with step by step instructions, I got it within 5-10 minutes of trying. really helps to have it broken down, good stuff!!
2020-06-22, 18:53
117 posts

Jan 2006
Here's how not to do it dag style
  6 posts on 1 page  1