User panel stuff on forum
  17 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2019-09-08, 17:30
55 posts

Jul 2006
I am looking for a monitor which is good for QW and also regular usage. I won't use the monitor to watch actual movies, but just regular surfing, office applications etc. and importantly, QW.

My initial thought is to get a 24"-27" 144 Hz/180 Hz, but I am in doubt whether I should "settle" for a TN panel or go for IPS? As far I understand, IPS is superior in general but TN has the upper hand in fast paced games, such as QW. Is G-Sync/FreeSync compatibility something I should focus on? I will be using it with a GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (or better).

Should I go for an 1 ms IPS panel or TN? Any specific models you would recommend? It won't be a CRT

I would prefer if it doesn't look too "gamer" like with all sorts of bling bling.
2019-09-09, 03:21
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
There was recently an IPS which was released which has a 1ms GTG response time (previously all IPS were limited 4ms) which bridges the gap to TN panels which are typically 1ms GTG. Unless you are constantly switching between a 1ms TN and a 4ms IPS then you will never really notice the difference. I know many people who use 165hz IPS with 4ms GTG and they don't notice it at all as thats all they play on.

That being said, Lenovo have a 27" 1440p 240hz TN monitor coming out with a 0.5ms GTG response time. You should get that

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/gaming/Lenovo-Legion-Y27gq-25-Monitor/p/DD116LPY27G

(It was meant to come out in April but I have not been able to find it available anywhere).
2019-09-09, 18:03
55 posts

Jul 2006
dirtbox wrote:
There was recently an IPS which was released which has a 1ms GTG response time (previously all IPS were limited 4ms) which bridges the gap to TN panels which are typically 1ms GTG. Unless you are constantly switching between a 1ms TN and a 4ms IPS then you will never really notice the difference. I know many people who use 165hz IPS with 4ms GTG and they don't notice it at all as thats all they play on.

That being said, Lenovo have a 27" 1440p 240hz TN monitor coming out with a 0.5ms GTG response time. You should get that

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/gaming/Lenovo-Legion-Y27gq-25-Monitor/p/DD116LPY27G

(It was meant to come out in April but I have not been able to find it available anywhere).

I see. So when you say you know people who use 165 Hz IPS, is that for QW? Will 4 ms affect in game FPS negatively compared to 1 ms?
2019-09-09, 18:13
55 posts

Jul 2006
I was looking at the Viewsonic XG2402 and BenQ XL2411P, but have read both pros and cons about both so my heads gets all dizzy

They are both TN, though.
2019-09-10, 16:28
46 posts

Jan 2013
27" is too big I personally feel.

hej kemo
2019-09-13, 15:25
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
i got a 27 240hz and couldn't be more happy. and its 1080p only, perfect for more fps.
27GK750F-B
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2019-09-15, 21:01
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Check this one: https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG279Q
2019-09-16, 04:54
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Kemo wrote:
I see. So when you say you know people who use 165 Hz IPS, is that for QW? Will 4 ms affect in game FPS negatively compared to 1 ms?

They use it for Quake Champions, Quake Live and PUBG iirc
2019-09-16, 21:40
92 posts

Aug 2007
Kemo wrote:

It's not related to FPS (frames per second), but to pixel response time, so as it's lower the screen reacts faster to your input as pixels can change their colour faster. Nevertheless the 1ms is more like a marketing gimnick than anything else as it's achieveable only at the highest overdrive level which introduces artifacts. You should look into independent reviews.

Generally TN is superior to IPS in response times but loses in colour reproduction and viewing angles.
2019-09-17, 07:04
55 posts

Jul 2006
Thanks everyone for your suggestion - I will look into those models. I went to a couple of stores to try and feel the physical difference between 24" and 27", but it's hard when you don't have the monitor in your own house and setting it needs to fit into

Do you recommend any particular sources for independent reviews? I am just googling reviews of "best 144 hz 24 inch monitors" etc., and am reading reviews from anandtech.com, tomshardware.com, rtings.com, pcgamer.com, trustedreviews.com, displayninja.com and whichever other sites I come across. It's hard to tell though, which are really independent.
2019-09-17, 15:27
150 posts

Nov 2006
Blurbusters forum to see opinions based on experiences. Really good site for reference.
Rtings, Prad and PC Monitors for reviews.

The size should be according to the distance your eyes will be from the screen.
My desk has 75cm depth and 24'' is right for me. 27'' would feel too big.
I also prefer 1920x1080 wich allows higher fps.

LG 27GL850-B, 1ms IPS. Question is: are you willing to pay for it? If not, pick TN.

144hz you have LG 24GL600F, ViewSonic XG2402 and ViewSonic XG240R / XG240R

I don't know what cons you saw with the XG2402, check the review, you can't go wrong with it.
XG240R is the same monitor as XG2402 but better overdrive (and a useless back light).
The 24GL600F is as good as the XG2402 but doesn't have height adjustment. It has 41,5cm from the table to the top of the monitor. If your eyes aren't aligned with it, dismiss it.

165hz, I have a VG258QR and is a really fast and good monitor.
There are no issues with the panel like back light bleed or clouding and I can use the overdrive at maximum value without issues or rarely minor purple coronas, something you cannot do with any monitor.
I watch movies with it and the colours are really good.
For the overdrive to work properly it needs G-Sync compatibility enabled in NVCP but it's not necessary to have it 'on' for games. I can disable FreeSync from the monitor menu or create an Nvidia profile for specific games.
Some users complained they never got the overdrive working without issues but mine works perfectly.

Quote:
Is G-Sync/FreeSync compatibility something I should focus on?

If you play other games then yes but these and pratically all recent models have FreeSync and most are G-Sync compatible.
G-Sync monitors are alot more expensive, there is no need for this.
2019-09-18, 06:55
55 posts

Jul 2006
MatriX wrote:
Blurbusters forum to see opinions based on experiences. Really good site for reference.
Rtings, Prad and PC Monitors for reviews.

The size should be according to the distance your eyes will be from the screen.
My desk has 75cm depth and 24'' is right for me. 27'' would feel too big.
I also prefer 1920x1080 wich allows higher fps.

LG 27GL850-B, 1ms IPS. Question is: are you willing to pay for it? If not, pick TN.

144hz you have LG 24GL600F, ViewSonic XG2402 and ViewSonic XG240R / XG240R

I don't know what cons you saw with the XG2402, check the review, you can't go wrong with it.
XG240R is the same monitor as XG2402 but better overdrive (and a useless back light).
The 24GL600F is as good as the XG2402 but doesn't have height adjustment. It has 41,5cm from the table to the top of the monitor. If your eyes aren't aligned with it, dismiss it.

165hz, I have a VG258QR and is a really fast and good monitor.
There are no issues with the panel like back light bleed or clouding and I can use the overdrive at maximum value without issues or rarely minor purple coronas, something you cannot do with any monitor.
I watch movies with it and the colours are really good.
For the overdrive to work properly it needs G-Sync compatibility enabled in NVCP but it's not necessary to have it 'on' for games. I can disable FreeSync from the monitor menu or create an Nvidia profile for specific games.
Some users complained they never got the overdrive working without issues but mine works perfectly.

Quote:
Is G-Sync/FreeSync compatibility something I should focus on?

If you play other games then yes but these and pratically all recent models have FreeSync and most are G-Sync compatible.
G-Sync monitors are alot more expensive, there is no need for this.

Thanks a bunch for this. It is really helpful.

I had actually also looked at the ViewSonic XG240R, and it really appealed to me with the backlight off, obviously . So if I am going for TN, then it is definitely a contender.

From what I understand, then your own Asus VG258QR is also a TN, right? If so, aren't the colors as"bad" as on other TN panels for things other than QW?

Is there a 24"-25", minimum 144 Hz, IPS monitor that you could recommend for QW?
2019-09-18, 08:41
150 posts

Nov 2006
Yes, my monitor is a TN. It uses a new panel and the colors are really good out of the box. I watch movies with it. It's G-Sync compatible certified by Nvidia.
You can try it and return it if it doesn't convince you.

There is no good IPS except the 1ms I mentioned. They are too slow with pixel transition and you will notice alot of blur.
You said you will be using the monitor for web surfing and QW so you don't need an IPS.
2019-09-18, 12:07
55 posts

Jul 2006
MatriX wrote:
Yes, my monitor is a TN. It uses a new panel and the colors are really good out of the box. I watch movies with it. It's G-Sync compatible certified by Nvidia.
You can try it and return it if it doesn't convince you.

There is no good IPS except the 1ms I mentioned. They are too slow with pixel transition and you will notice alot of blur.
You said you will be using the monitor for web surfing and QW so you don't need an IPS.

Got it.

I guess it's between the XG240R and VG258QR. I think I will try yours.

(Edited 2019-09-20, 07:42)
2019-09-18, 21:55
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
Hvasså kemo din gamle stodder?
Stadig ligeså elendig på dm6 som i 1999?
ready!
2019-09-19, 07:45
150 posts

Nov 2006
If you buy it, post your experience and I will tell you what settings to use.
2019-09-19, 09:46
55 posts

Jul 2006
ParadokS wrote:
Hvasså kemo din gamle stodder?
Stadig ligeså elendig på dm6 som i 1999?

Haha, garanteret

Nu må vi se om jeg kan finde ud af det med nyt udstyr. Spiller stadig med pwr engang imellem, og fik fat i Colombo for kort tid siden. Og niw er vel også til at få fat i. Så lad os snart få gang i lidt QW, hvis du er frisk
  17 posts on 1 page  1