User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2019-04-22, 03:45
5 posts

Apr 2019
Hi there, I've created a new classic deathmatch level with an original music track to go with it. Enjoy.

Screenshots |

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/multiplayer/maps/forefront1.png

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/multiplayer/maps/forefront2.png

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/multiplayer/maps/forefront2.png

Download |

http://www.quaketastic.com/files/multiplayer/maps/forefront.zip

cheers,

| holodecker
2019-04-25, 21:42
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Hi there,
The screenshots of this got me really intrigued, as I love the aesthetics and rawness of this!
However, playing it was another story
The many teleporter plats just ruined it for me, as there was not much room to maneuver, or ways to exit a place without using one of name teleporters.
I think with feedback and gameplay changes, this could be a really interesting and tight 1on1 map.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2019-04-25, 22:20
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Uploaded to play.quake1.pl:27500.
play.quake1.pl
2019-04-26, 00:04
5 posts

Apr 2019
bps wrote:
Hi there,
The screenshots of this got me really intrigued, as I love the aesthetics and rawness of this!
However, playing it was another story
The many teleporter plats just ruined it for me, as there was not much room to maneuver, or ways to exit a place without using one of name teleporters.
I think with feedback and gameplay changes, this could be a really interesting and tight 1on1 map.

Thanks bps!

All of this was tested and very intentional. What intrigued me about building a map like this (and what playtesting subsequently proved) was that once we had spent the initial 20-30 mins learning the map, we had started to memorise the teleport locations and the functions of each kill zone. Once we knew where we were going, the challenge became not just getting kills but playing and subsequently overcoming the challenge of the map as well.

With a few balance tweaks (and also adding the silent func_plat) the challenge turned into knowing the paths and then messing with them by being able to jump and transition to the others. i made the teleport triggers very low to the ground so you are able to jump over them and access other teleports (the tuition encouragement of this was with the quad damage placement). I also decided that after 20 years we no longer needed a big teleport structure and a functional metal plate texture was completely acceptable. The speed and the location of the teleports creates confusion initially but not after playing the map for a little while. Strategically it plays well and also keeps the enemy guessing.

Splash damage was also a concern which is why the long distance shots need to be precise but the shots are recoverable.

I tested this over a couple of weeks with some mates and a few bot sessions. It is definitely designed for 1v1 but 3 players can get a strong challenge going too.

cheers and thanks,

holodecker.
2019-04-26, 22:34
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Oh boy... What a map. I have to say I feel really panicked on it. It's difficult, rough, punishing. I am wondering what was your inspiration? The first time I saw it I thought immediately about movie called 'Cube'. Same level of problematic geometry where one mistake decides about whether you live on or die.

Anyways, good job. It feels like you've put a lot work into it but I must say, not everyone will be pleased to play it :-)

(Edited 2019-04-28, 13:36)
play.quake1.pl
2019-04-27, 00:29
5 posts

Apr 2019
d2 wrote:
Oh boy... What a map. I have to say I feel really panicked on it. It's difficult, rough, punishing. I am wondering what was your inspiration? The first time I saw it I thought immediately about movie called 'Cube'. Same level of problematic geometry where one mistake decides about whether you live on or die.

Anyways, good job. It feels like you've put a lot work into it but I must say, not everyone will be pleased to play it :-)

Thanks d2! Much appreciated.

My original idea of this came from noticing the complete change of play style that occurred in the community when the glitch of bunny hopping was found (albeit a long time ago now). People began relying on quick speed and escape as a measure of fighting and it changed the whole gameplay forever. Pack a railgun into the mix and (in my humble opinion) it turned around how people played together.

If it provides any insight, my initial names for this map were both 'that recurring fear' and 'synapse'. i wanted to give the players the option of a quick getaway, but I wanted to make headspace one of awareness so that you could tell where the enemy was travelling around the play area without bunny hopping.

I also wanted to provide a play area that evened the playing field where you weren't just fighting the enemy, but you were fighting your environment. The imaginative lore I had in mind was that the players have been forced into this play field where those watching were observing the players like some form of sport. Mostly though, after 20 years of Quake, I wanted to do something different and fucken hard.

I've been thinking about yours and bsp's comments with the flavour being a little too restrictive. Although I think once you've spent some time with the map it will remove most of the janky mistakes with the players handling of the map, I have attached here a link to a slightly altered version. Please let me know what you think of this altered version. It doesn't change much, but it takes the pressure off for a few moments

forefront_alt

cheers,

holodecker.
  6 posts on 1 page  1