9 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2019-02-15, 12:02
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
Guys,
Anyone playing nowdays from linux?
If yes, would you post your distro, and your graphics card, cpu?

I recently tried to use the latest ezquake-3.1 client, but some libjpeg.so.8 is missing. I tried various distros (live cds)...
The 2-2 client is running, but with crap fps, due to a not proper X setup. A live usb does not have the proper graphics card drivers,it seems.

Back in the day using the software client was not a big deal under linux. I used zqwcl for years with the perfect svgalib based mouse, because the mouse support was crap under X.
Later there was a special gl client that was using also the svga mouse (surmoclient), which needed some extra setup to launch the X server for the gl client only. But it was working pretty okay.
But years later, when ezquake came out I slowly moved the windows.

Now, 15 years later I'd like to have a live usb with a qw client on it that runs with some decent fps (no mesa render...).
2019-02-15, 12:15
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
2019-02-16, 15:06
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
I know that I can compile it.
I am just wondering:
- what distro was the official release built on?
- what distro do users use, and most impotantly, with what fps results?
2019-02-16, 17:52
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
toma wrote:
I know that I can compile it.
I am just wondering:
- what distro was the official release built on?
- what distro do users use, and most impotantly, with what fps results?

Official release was built in Arch, which I believed was correct for official builds but dimman has since informed me that he would never have said that, and it should have been built on debian instead (I probably got mixed up with instructions that the Windows builds were cross-compiled on arch, which I had to give up on with 3.1 anyway).
2019-02-16, 18:08
2 posts

May 2017
I created a bootable image to test out ezquake in linux, it's just a bare-bones debian install that boots directly into quake (unless it doesn't start up for whatever reason, then you can open a terminal and troubleshoot). It should work fine with nvidia/intel/amd, though I personally haven't tested anything other than nvidia. It should remove the nvidia stuff if you're not nvidia, if it doesn't for some reason just apt remove nvidia* and you should be fine. Decompress the image and dd it to a usb (or use win32 disk imager, don't use anything fancy).

https://nicotinelounge.com/quake/iso/quake_bootable/quake_bootable.img.gz
2019-02-17, 20:20
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
meag wrote:

Official release was built in Arch, which I believed was correct for official builds but dimman has since informed me that he would never have said that, and it should have been built on debian instead (I probably got mixed up with instructions that the Windows builds were cross-compiled on arch, which I had to give up on with 3.1 anyway).

this is funny...

Is static linking not an option for such thing?
For example, as far as I can see, the ezquake binary with the Debian distro is not dynamically linked. This is the 2.2 version (or 3.0 alpha?).

Maybe an update on the ezquake wiki page about what distro you need could come helpful... Because getting this libjpeg.so.8 seems to be not trivial...

Anyway, thanks for the reply!
2019-02-17, 20:24
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
ciscon wrote:
I created a bootable image to test out ezquake in linux, it's just a bare-bones debian install that boots directly into quake (unless it doesn't start up for whatever reason, then you can open a terminal and troubleshoot). It should work fine with nvidia/intel/amd, though I personally haven't tested anything other than nvidia. It should remove the nvidia stuff if you're not nvidia, if it doesn't for some reason just apt remove nvidia* and you should be fine. Decompress the image and dd it to a usb (or use win32 disk imager, don't use anything fancy).

https://nicotinelounge.com/quake/iso/quake_bootable/quake_bootable.img.gz

Thanks ciscon. I will give it a try!

In the meanwhile I found a distro that seems to work out of the box: knoppix
Tested with a laptop with switchable graphics (intel/amd) with not that bad fps (300-400).
Knoppix has an ezquake client from the official repository (coming from a debian repo actually). Not the latest (2.2), but works fine.
2019-07-02, 22:19
News Writer
66 posts

Sep 2013
Linux Mint is also working, out of the box...
2019-07-04, 06:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
toma wrote:
meag wrote:

this is funny...

Is static linking not an option for such thing?
For example, as far as I can see, the ezquake binary with the Debian distro is not dynamically linked. This is the 2.2 version (or 3.0 alpha?).

Maybe an update on the ezquake wiki page about what distro you need could come helpful... Because getting this libjpeg.so.8 seems to be not trivial...

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Late reply but just to add; there’s static linking and then there’s ”static” linking Not everything is included in the static builds, just ”our” libs basically. If we were to build with static glibc et al the binary would most likely be humongous.

It’s always easier to build on older dists as the more up-to-date ones usually are backwards compatible. Old dists aren’t usually future compatible.
  9 posts on 1 page  1