User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  Smoothness!
  15 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2017-11-18, 14:21
38 posts

Jan 2006
Hi dear Quakers!

I used to play 10 years ago and was average div4. Now I got back and it seems I'm div6, I'm sure I can improve because I'm playing with very shitty settings, like, USB laptop mouse, laptop 60hz monitor and wifi. The worst thing at all is the smoothness of mouse, it makes my aim shitty, tried many commands, but noting gets it smoother.

I would like to know whats the best settings to make it smoother.

I used to use razor diamonback on 500hz and -dinput -smooth, displayfrequency 120, cl_physics 0

Now all this command line are integrated in ezquake but doesn't seems to have any effect, even though I use now m_filter to 1.
I just can get 250hz mouse, or something is wrong, patched! cl_maxfps 250, frequency is set to 120 but sure it's 60hz. I don't want to use v_vsync, never liked!

How could I get a little feeling of smoothness here? Sure it would improve gameplay! Anyway, buying razor deathadder 2013 anytime soon (I hope!), meanwhile, what do you recommend?
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-18, 18:41
133 posts

Dec 2008
I always thought that m_filter 1 is for old bad mice.
Ezquake manual does not recommend using it as I understand.
http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?vars-input#m_filter
2017-11-19, 08:45
38 posts

Jan 2006
se-sss wrote:
I always thought that m_filter 1 is for old bad mice.
Ezquake manual does not recommend using it as I understand.
http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?vars-input#m_filter

Yeah, I've checked, but this laptop mouse of 490 rubles, seems to me a very old bad mice

Anyway, one of those commands that semmed to have no effect. I think it's so rough that only when smooth enough will make difference.

Thanks anyway!
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-19, 18:12
65 posts

Apr 2017
Mouse filter can help you Infest, but imo it will add a very small lag in movement, at least its my perception of it
Try diff mouse settings in_raw 1, then in_restart

You should try hidusbf (signed) to try increase your mouse polling rate.

Try to lower your ezquake demands as much as you can in order to get more fps. (video resolution, r_dynamic 0, gl_texturemode "gl_nearest", gl_simpletitens1 , r_drawflat 1, turn off almost everything that is related to light in qw) and some other cfg changes

Use a multiple of 77 for the cl_maxfps, but also try for the experience values around that 77 multiple, maybe you will get beter feeling.

Theres a lot more to it, but that can help
2017-11-19, 18:20
38 posts

Jan 2006
bgnr wrote:
Mouse filter can help you Infest, but imo it will add a very small lag in movement, at least its my perception of it
Try diff mouse settings in_raw 1, then in_restart

You should try hidusbf (signed) to try increase your mouse polling rate.

Try to lower your ezquake demands as much as you can in order to get more fps. (video resolution, r_dynamic 0, gl_texturemode "gl_nearest", gl_simpletitens1 , r_drawflat 1, turn off almost everything that is related to light in qw) and some other cfg changes

Use a multiple of 77 for the cl_maxfps, but also try for the experience values around that 77 multiple, maybe you will get beter feeling.

Theres a lot more to it, but that can help

Thanks, I'll give it a try! Worth checking.

Btw, there's any good gamming mouse till 15Eur? I saw a deathadder from 2013, dunno it's state though...

That would fix many of the roughness I guess.
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-22, 00:40
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
can you give us the specifications of your laptop?
2017-11-22, 09:43
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Logitech G100s.

https://www.dns-shop.ru/product/4bf1c4cd9c4c30b1/mys-provodnaa-logitech-gaming-mouse-g100s-cernyj/
"Товара нет в наличии"

P.S. 2017 year and qw.nu don't support utf-8!!!!!
2017-11-24, 17:16
38 posts

Jan 2006
dirtbox wrote:

i7 @ 2.00GHz, 8GB RAM, Inter HD Graphics 4000 (yeh graphic sux)

When I came back I was playing with vid_usedesktopres 1, now I play with 0 and 640x480 (like I used to 10 years ago), somehow the maps are wider, I had to adapt from 120 to 110 fov, letters, textures and skins are more rough and hurt eyes, when before they were smooth too. Should be some command for this or my graphic really shit! I can try and upload a screenshot later of skins, they are bright white for enemies and seem now like q1 textures.

FPS beside I use maxfps 250 (tried 231 and 308, this lasts get some drops and 231 also no difference from 250 (no drops!)) the game is not smooth at all.

About the mouse, i'll try povohat's fix and check any improvements. Although, thank you very much VVD!

If I can't get this like it should be, smooth, I'll not bother to buy new mouse and probably will just quit, my time is few, and from the time I got back (1 month or more), I'm playing with shitty settings, all the time trying to improve and nothing. I don't really have much time, just wanna get in and play...
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-24, 17:40
65 posts

Apr 2017
Infest i have same intel graphics and worse processor i5 U (that means utltrabook processor)
Still i have 616 fps, read my advices on getting more FPS and the others also maybe
I also played with normal deskmouse and china gaming mouse like the one you are using now
2017-11-24, 19:32
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Infest wrote:
dirtbox wrote:

When I came back I was playing with vid_usedesktopres 1, now I play with 0 and 640x480 (like I used to 10 years ago), somehow the maps are wider, I had to adapt from 120 to 110 fov, letters, textures and skins are more rough and hurt eyes, when before they were smooth too. Should be some command for this or my graphic really shit! I can try and upload a screenshot later of skins, they are bright white for enemies and seem now like q1 textures.

FPS beside I use maxfps 250 (tried 231 and 308, this lasts get some drops and 231 also no difference from 250 (no drops!)) the game is not smooth at all.

About the mouse, i'll try povohat's fix and check any improvements. Although, thank you very much VVD!

If I can't get this like it should be, smooth, I'll not bother to buy new mouse and probably will just quit, my time is few, and from the time I got back (1 month or more), I'm playing with shitty settings, all the time trying to improve and nothing. I don't really have much time, just wanna get in and play...

Have you tried downloading the latest nQuake and set the resolution to 640x480? That's literally the only thing i do to play now (and enable brightskins) and it feels totally OK for being on a 60hz laptop.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2017-11-26, 13:43
38 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Infest wrote:
dirtbox wrote:

Have you tried downloading the latest nQuake and set the resolution to 640x480? That's literally the only thing i do to play now (and enable brightskins) and it feels totally OK for being on a 60hz laptop.

Actually I did, it seemed better, smoother, but as soon I load my cfg, the feeling was the same again, maybe just my impression. After I loaded cfg, seemed to save on ezquake config, cuz I then updated cfg (deleted almost all commands) and loaded again - same as before after load first time.

Any command to undo changes to original so I can try create a new cfg or have to re-install again? :/
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-26, 15:38
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Hmm not sure what's happening but if i was in your shoes i would start with the default nQuake config and then start making changes from there if you really think the smoothness is different from your setup. You can't have *that* much binds etc to bring into the nQuake config?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2017-11-27, 09:21
49 posts

Jul 2017
cl_nolerp ?? maybe..
2017-11-28, 12:16
38 posts

Jan 2006
Samopal VanoZ wrote:
cl_nolerp ?? maybe..

It was already disable. At 1 it gets even worst

Ake, yeah, lots of commands to try and find out again, but guess I could do that.
Not a Gamer!
2017-11-30, 09:44
49 posts

Jul 2017
Now I've read your post before writing something.
Sure its the mouse to blame!!!
and even on 60hz monitor mouse polling rate 250 instead of 125 gives advantage,
cheap mouses don't overclock even to that value..
  15 posts on 1 page  1