User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2017-11-14, 13:32
105 posts

Apr 2017
Is it still possible to run the old glqwcl.exe on today's Windows machines?. I've just tried it on Windows 7 and it crashes on startup.. I did a search for a solution and they say that you're supposed to remove the opengl32.dll from the Quake folder. I tried that and it seemed to get a little further but still crashes.

I'm on an Intel GPU.
2017-11-14, 19:17
344 posts

Nov 2006
Not sure if still true - back in the days the Windows drivers came with Direct3D support only. For OpenGL you needed to install a driver directly from the vendor.
2017-11-14, 23:21
271 posts

Feb 2006
vanilla glquake/glqwcl crashes from a stack overflow if the graphics drivers report more than 1024 chars for opengl extension strings.
and there have been a LOT of new opengl extensions since quake was first released...

nvidia have some feature that limits the number of extensions reported based upon the name of the current process so it should actually still work there. intel does not.
you may also need the -no8bit agument too, if all of your walls are white.

the software renderer should work once DEP is disabled, otherwise it'll crash as soon as it tries drawing an mdl.

note that glqwcl has a range of remotely exploitable bugs, as well as some that'll just cause crashes on modern servers that violate certain limits (like >512 serverinfo chars). its not the best choice of engine, basically...
moo
2017-11-15, 16:39
65 posts

Apr 2017
He lives (Spike )
2017-11-15, 19:30
News Writer
183 posts

May 2013
lemonjuiced wrote:
I've just tried it on Windows 7 and it crashes on startup.

A few years back I played using the vanilla Quakeworld GL client (the one that comes via Steam when you install it from there, dunno if that has been modified or updated in any way.) on my girlfriends laptop while I was waiting on mine getting fixed, her's had issues running ezQuake. It did work and it was running Windows 7, really wasn't ideal but it worked. No major crashes that I can remember but it was a bit buggy. I know its obvious, but have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Out of interest, why are you wanting to use qwclgl.exe?
2017-11-15, 19:49
105 posts

Apr 2017
Okay, thanks for the info guys!.

RaggA wrote:
[quote="lemonjuiced"]

I'm weighing up various options for making a bot. I figured with glqwcl.exe being so tiny and the project source being Windows friendly that it might've been a good option for turning into a bot. ezQuake is a little bloated for what I want to do, and the project is biased towards Linux.
2017-11-15, 20:53
60 posts

Sep 2016
lemonjuiced wrote:
Okay, thanks for the info guys!.

RaggA wrote:
[quote="lemonjuiced"]

I'm weighing up various options for making a bot. I figured with glqwcl.exe being so tiny and the project source being Windows friendly that it might've been a good option for turning into a bot. ezQuake is a little bloated for what I want to do, and the project is biased towards Linux.

He wants to run it off his calculator
  7 posts on 1 page  1