User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Other Tournaments
2017-06-11, 18:27
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Have been playing around lately with the server talking to a web server, uploading game results & stats.

First attempt at putting this to good use is a very simple ladder/ranking system for duels & arena/pov maps. To play, connect to dev.badplace.eu (now based in london, has bots enabled) or race.badplace.eu (netherlands, no bots enabled), and play a game with the matchtag set to 'ladder' (/1on1 ladder), and play one of the supported maps. If matchtag isn't set, the game won't be included in the tournament.

Maps supported are: dm2/dm4/dm6/aerowalk/ztndm3/bravado and skull, travelert6 and ravageqwb8. For arena, valid maps are: povdmm4, povdmm4b, end, dm2dmm4 & oldcrat.

Game results are uploaded at the end of the match and you should see something like:

Statistics stored
BRAVADO ratings updated:
meag: 1613 (+2)
yamazaki: 1616 (+16)
Duel maps ratings updated:
meag: 1647 (+2)
yamazaki: 1642 (+16)

You can check positions on this page - very basic right now. Each game updates two ratings: your stats for that particular map and your overall duel/arena ranking. This is just for testing at the moment and not meant to be serious - you can even just play the bots and get points that way (they have fixed ratings from 1400-1600, based on skill level). You can't lose any points by playing, and should get between 2 and 32 points for each map played. I should add some kind of decay so inactive players gradually lose points but haven't implemented that yet. Points for each game are allocated based on:

> Activity: you get more points for playing someone ranked much higher than you.
> Winning: Winning gets you maximum points here, but the loser gets a bonus for close games too.

If there's any interest I'll disallow bot matches and do a bit more work to make it a proper tournament. Also if anyone has ideas on how to assign values to 2v2/4v4 games then I can try to add that in as well.
2017-06-12, 07:41
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Wow, truly awesome meag. Gonna try this out asap I'm home!
How is 2on2/4on4 differing in a scoring perspective?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2017-06-23, 16:52
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Thanks to everyone who has tried this out so far... some interesting results. There's been 118 duels played to date - no-one playing skull or ravageqwb8 - aerowalk and dm4 the most popular by far. Guess no surprises there. A few pointers based on questions:
  • Duels have to be 10 minutes long, arena/dmm4 games have to be 3 minutes long
  • Matchtag must be 'ladder' and played on race.badplace.eu (hosted in NL) or dev.badplace.eu (hosted in UK)
  • Website with results here
  • Every match you get between 8 and 16 points for activity, and -6 to 16 points for performance (so +2 points as minimum change)
  • Your activity points are based on how much higher-ranked your opponent is.
  • Your performance points are also based on this, but frag difference is also taken into account, so a narrow loss is almost considered a draw.

Once we get to the end of the month I'll look at all the results and try to see how different scoring systems would give different results - your opponents can't lose any points under the current system, and get an activity bonus just for playing higher-ranked opponents, so as time goes on it gets easier and easier to get points and inflation is an issue. Really I should be docking points for inactivity to make it a ranking of active players... would have to play with the numbers a bit on that one. Don't want to get rid of activity bonus too much, as it gives a small incentive to play tougher opponents.

Anyway - as many game results as possible for this would be great, thanks again to everyone playing so far.
2017-06-24, 14:39
398 posts

Feb 2006
Great stuff meag!

Btw just played a couple of games with er on the UK server, and on dm2 the gl-platform in bigroom and the one by bigroom/low rl were fucked We stopped the game after noticing it, but we both still got points for it!
2017-06-24, 18:52
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Hagge wrote:
Great stuff meag!

Btw just played a couple of games with er on the UK server, and on dm2 the gl-platform in bigroom and the one by bigroom/low rl were fucked We stopped the game after noticing it, but we both still got points for it!

Whoops! Will get that fixed as soon as server isn't busy.

Getting points... I changed ktx so that demos are always saved when matchtag is set, but haven't updated the website to have a minimum time before the match is considered valid. Consider them bonus points for bug reporting
2017-06-24, 19:10
398 posts

Feb 2006
Ok great. Haha it was tempting to abuse it. Can't let bps be in the lead forever
2017-06-25, 22:09
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Add, plz, map q1q3monsoon#drake to list.
2017-06-26, 22:01
65 posts

Apr 2017
Oh noes!

VVD and his kenyas

Put Spitfire on list
  8 posts on 1 page  1