User panel stuff on forum
  24 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2006-05-12, 12:09
Member
22 posts

Registered:
May 2006
Ok gents,

here is the deal, we have a great FFA server located at xs4all.nl in holland.
trouble is its been running same old map cycle for quite some time now and its time to change that.

i would like to the server go back to the way it was a long time ago back when i started playing qw...
back then (2000) it was running all the classic exmx maps plus all the dm's.

i dont think we should run them all but i would like to see most of the episode maps back in the cycle together with dm2/3/4 and 6. obviously some other favorites (ztndm3/aerowalk) should be included. my suggestion to a map cycle is the following. E1M1/2/5/6 E2M2/4/7 E3M1/2/6 E4M2/3/4 Aerowalk/Ztndm3 and of course DM2/3/4/6

from my experience these episode maps are the most fun to be played on FFA and i would really like to see them come back. if anybody feels i have missed a few or perhaps are not satisfied with this cycle please feel free to add on or come up with some ideas.

i will be in contact with the admin at xs4all so we can get this show on the road. we all know how fun it is to hang around FFA and shoot stuff.

Yours truly, Luke
2006-05-12, 12:19
Administrator
1260 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
agreed. episode maps rule!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-05-12, 12:22
Administrator
2058 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
why not dm5? it's a great ffa map
2006-05-12, 12:25
Member
104 posts

Registered:
Mar 2006
yeas pleas
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/06/bypa/ptw/asamoah_l.jpg
2006-05-12, 12:41
Member
22 posts

Registered:
May 2006
ok so current cycle wanted...

E1M1/2/5/6 E2M2/4/7 E3M1/2/6 E4M2/3/4 Aerowalk/Ztndm3 DM2/3/4/5/6
2006-05-12, 13:12
Member
518 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
contact flepser on #uqe he is the admin
2006-05-12, 13:26
Member
1011 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
why are you excluding dm1? in UKCML we used to have a modified .ent file for dm1 that added pent in lava and quad in lower room and it used to be good for FFA
2006-05-12, 13:55
Member
693 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
oldman wrote:
why are you excluding dm1? in UKCML we used to have a modified .ent file for dm1 that added pent in lava and quad in lower room and it used to be good for FFA

There was also an RL beneath the SSG hole, and an LG in the big pillar room.
2006-05-12, 14:18
Member
447 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
DM1 and DM7 should be included. These maps rock.
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-05-12, 19:39
Member
76 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Luke wrote:
trouble is its been running same old map cycle for quite some time now and its time to change that.

I don't think so. Current setup is a healthy mix of custom and episode/dm maps, so everyone can find their favourite type of ffa map. Your suggestion of map selection totally excludes custom maps. You can't please everyone, but you can have a nice mix, like it is at the moment. I'm not against a change in the maps, but don't break the balance!
2006-05-12, 22:21
Member
22 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
Pester Bigfoot to have FodFFA (the XS4ALL server mod) support multiple map cycles which can be voted on by users in a similar way to the next_map skipping command.

He isn't likely to thank me for suggesting it as he's a busy chap at the moment, but I can't see it being that much of a challenge
2006-05-13, 00:49
Member
800 posts

Registered:
Jan 1970
You can already vote on next_map that's np, but there is a bad trend on the server like everybody dropping as soon as cmt3 or a2 comes up or something. Both are crowded once in a while but ain't most of the time. Besides I think there are several other maps that are pretty much fun for ffa like pkeg1 and I think a lot of people enjoy ukcldm2 and qffldm5; not starting about the fact that all episode maps were in the routine before and that wasn't really boring, almost every one of them is playable in ffa. Just got to filter out the few bad ones.

The old setup of maps sure was great yeah though maybe it's good to have several servers (even on xs4all itself, one with standard and one with customs, but it might cut down the traffic on both drastically). What about a ffa server in denmark, now there is only xs4all and edome which splits europe really and that is sad, I mean you hardly find good players on xs4all and if there are they usually got ping 51 or something plus the fact that edome is death32c only ...
2006-05-13, 00:50
Member
800 posts

Registered:
Jan 1970
Of course i didn't read the post above the way I should've. Voting on different mapcycles sure does sound good.
2006-05-13, 07:47
Member
116 posts

Registered:
Mar 2006
Yeah put up a good ffa server in denmark on wg or something. I think a lot of the customs work good for ffa. CMT4 is very good for ffa for example. I am sure some other customs would be too. So Im not in favour of just playing idmaps.
2006-05-13, 09:03
Member
129 posts

Registered:
Mar 2006
Flepser added more custom maps to the map rotation yesterday, custom maps rule imo
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-05-15, 08:08
Member
104 posts

Registered:
Mar 2006
there are 2 FFA servers in finland (edome with death32 [and wrong rj?] and quakeservers.net which is located in the very ass of finland and on which everybody has bad ping) in sweden there're 2 FFA servers (AllyRatsNoQuad DM and DEMOSTIVO QWS)

anyways, i'd suggest that there should be FFA server in .se (Göteborg or Stockholm) or in .fi (Helsinki), since most qw players are nordic and there is xs4all.nl (on which .fi players have some 40-60ms)
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/06/bypa/ptw/asamoah_l.jpg
2006-05-15, 08:31
Member
950 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
I could set up an FFA server if anyone is interested but I don't know if you guys would get a good ping on it... If you want to try, it would be on the same box as the KTX server on ktx.quakeonline.net:27500. Try it, gimme the ping results and tell me what maps you want, I'll build the FFA
2006-05-15, 08:49
Member
518 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
26 in dos prolly 38 in qw from nl
2006-05-15, 09:11
Member
950 posts

Registered:
Apr 2006
Would that be good enough?
2006-05-15, 09:21
Member
258 posts

Registered:
Feb 2006
52 ms from Finland through Tele2adsl and Endpoint Stockholm Qizmos. This is ok for me since I don't think that 12 or 26 ms is required in FFA which I play just for fun.
2006-05-15, 10:11
Member
800 posts

Registered:
Jan 1970
There is always going to be the case that some people will never be happy the any map cycle, I really hate e2m2 and yet love e1m7 (which most people seem to hate?? nowhere to camp boys?). The thing I want to see is that timelimit back down to 12 maybe 10 , 15 mins on a map (especially a map you hate) is far to long!
2006-05-15, 23:19
Member
370 posts

Registered:
May 2006
Luke wrote:
Ok gents,

here is the deal, we have a great FFA server located at xs4all.nl in holland.
trouble is its been running same old map cycle for quite some time now and its time to change that.

i would like to the server go back to the way it was a long time ago back when i started playing qw...
back then (2000) it was running all the classic exmx maps plus all the dm's.

i dont think we should run them all but i would like to see most of the episode maps back in the cycle together with dm2/3/4 and 6. obviously some other favorites (ztndm3/aerowalk) should be included. my suggestion to a map cycle is the following. E1M1/2/5/6 E2M2/4/7 E3M1/2/6 E4M2/3/4 Aerowalk/Ztndm3 and of course DM2/3/4/6

from my experience these episode maps are the most fun to be played on FFA and i would really like to see them come back. if anybody feels i have missed a few or perhaps are not satisfied with this cycle please feel free to add on or come up with some ideas.

i will be in contact with the admin at xs4all so we can get this show on the road. we all know how fun it is to hang around FFA and shoot stuff.

Yours truly, Luke

My reply is quite the same as Iron's :
Iron wrote:
I don't think so. Current setup is a healthy mix of custom and episode/dm maps, so everyone can find their favourite type of ffa map. Your suggestion of map selection totally excludes custom maps. You can't please everyone, but you can have a nice mix, like it is at the moment. I'm not against a change in the maps, but don't break the balance!

Episode maps are very impopular by FFA players, why?? I don't know, but many people drop at the sight of an episode map, it takes more skill and mapknowledge imo to 'rule' a map. The downside of most episode maps, is that there are limited resources and thus makes it hard for players to do a fragfest.

BB2noob2login wrote:
There is always going to be the case that some people will never be happy the any map cycle, I really hate e2m2 and yet love e1m7 (which most people seem to hate?? nowhere to camp boys?). The thing I want to see is that timelimit back down to 12 maybe 10 , 15 mins on a map (especially a map you hate) is far to long!

about the timelimit, I got many requests at the time it was 12, to make it 15 again. For fun maps (pkeg1/dm2) it's for players fun to reach the 200 or at least try it. And yes, on boring maps it's too long, just camp in a corner .

What I really want to see is increasing interest in episode maps, especially the e3mx maps are awesome, lots of powerups and weapons but very big and it sucks when there are only 6 players playing it. You can quadrun what you want but will only see one player every 4 minutes . I think that's the reason why those small custom maps (PUKE!!!) are so popular and fill up the server, and that's what an admin wants in the end.. A full server.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2006-05-15, 23:26
Member
370 posts

Registered:
May 2006
òh yea, another thing. I had dm1ex.bsp (if that's the mapname) on it once, but people started moaning yet I really think it's a good map to have on the FFA server.

About dm5, the rl camping is a pain in the butt for most and people tend to drop as fast as possible . Even though I think it's a fun map (when I have RL and can camp YA) .

DM1 itself won't lure many players, only some pro's who want to check their GL skills . DM7... I think I know the map, but can't recall I'll check it out later.

Any more suggestions/replacements/remarks who are based on more then FU EPS or Custommapsonlyrules are welcome . For most maps I have a reason to be in or out the mapcycle .
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2006-05-15, 23:37
Member
693 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Dunno why this was moved to tourneys, it's got nothing to do with tourneys

Moving back to General discussion.
  24 posts on 1 page  1