User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2016-11-04, 01:16
5 posts

Nov 2016
Hello, im new to Quake World (just installed nQuake) but i had already to do with configs in Quake 3 / Live. So I know how the autoexec.cfg works.
But for some reason it just wont work in Quake World for me. Every time i load the game again it resets to the Desktop resolution.

So i copied this settings (plus my basic binds) into the autoexec.cfg:

vid_usedesktopres "0"
vid_height "960"
vid_width "1280"

But if I delete the config.cfg (and have the autoexec.cfg in the same folder) and restart the game, it wont load the settings.
After i put them into the default.cfg it worked.
So can I think of the default.cfg as a autoexec.cfg of some kind? Even if it is not the original purpose?
Or has it to do with Launch Options / Start Parameters? I also did try to put it into the ID1 folder.

By the way do exec commands work inside the autoexec.cfg? If I ever get it to work.
So i could load inside the autoexec.cfg for example abindings.cfg?

Thanks for the help in advance, I didn't think I would need any.

(Edited 2016-11-05, 01:34)
2016-11-04, 08:45
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
ot4 wrote:
By the way do exec commands work inside the autoexec.cfg? If I ever get it to work.
So i could load inside the autoexec.cfg for example abindings.cfg?

Are you using nquake as your base, or standard qw + ezquake? (or another client?)
2016-11-04, 14:07
5 posts

Nov 2016
I installed nQuake, and i use the config folder inside the ezquake folder. I hope that is right, thats the place where the config.cfg gets created.
On some threads I did read one needs to put it into the ID1 folder, that one also exists with the nQuake installation, not sure if it matters.

Right now i dont get the autoexec.cfg to work. If I delete the config.cfg and just have the autoexec.cfg in the folder, it seems to be ignored when creating the new config.cfg at the next startup. Im used from other games that first the autoexec.cfg gets loaded and from this the config.cfg gets created.

What I would like to have is a autoexec.cfg with my basic settings, plus for example a structure like this:

exec binds.cfg
echo binds loaded
exec variables.cfg
echo variables loaded

do i need to use maybe the path? exec /ezquake/configs/binds.cfg or something?

*EDIT* I just tested it now, i put in the autoexec.cfg the command

name "12345"

but after starting the game it still uses the old name that is inside the config.cfg. So my autoexec.cfg is not auto executed for some reason.
I use nQuake and i put the autoexec.cfg inside the ezquake/configs folder where the config.cfg gets created. I also tried putting it into the ID1 folder but it didnt work.

So far i tried putting the autoexec.cfg file into:
nQuake\ezquake\configs
nQuake\ezquake
nQuake\id1
nQuake\qw

I have cfg_use_home "0" and the config.cfg gets created inside the nQuake\ezquake\configs folder.

Any help on this would be great. I try now again from the start, maybe i did something wrong in the beginning.
Teamspeak: ts.ot4ku.net psw: 123456 if someone has time to help. thanks.
2016-11-04, 16:11
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Okay, nquake.pk3 has its own autoexec.cfg, which is taking preference.

It contains the lines:

// Bring back default.cfg
exec default.cfg
exec configs/preset.cfg
exec configs/platform.cfg
exec configs/config.cfg

default.cfg is also in the .pk3 file. So if you put your commands that you expect to be in autoexec in configs/preset.cfg, you might have more success.
2016-11-05, 00:30
5 posts

Nov 2016
thanks, I dont have a default.cfg, but i tried the preset.cfg :/
I go to re-install everything again. Not sure why this just wont work.

I put this into the preset.cfg

//Player Settings
fov "115"
name "12345"
cl_fakename "12345"

still name "Player".

By the way, would it be allowed to edit the nquake.pk3 and add autoexec.cfg to the list? Or would editing a pk3 file be cheating because the hash of the file changes or something? Thanks for the help

*EDIT*
Dont really know what to do anymore, this is so confusing. I made the preset.cfg now write protected and wrote in it

exec binds.cfg
exec configs/binds.cfg

but nothing gets loaded, autoexec also not working in the ezquake folder. I think nQuake is pretty nice, but this really sucks.

If i write into the console "exec default.cfg" it shows that it loads the default.cfg from the qw/nquake.pk3 file, if i exec binds.cfg i just get a could not extract.
So is this nQuake against people using custom config files? So it basicly makes it super confusing what configs where get used?

I really like the idea of nQuake, getting all the files ready, hq textures, mods, stuff I dont have to think about, but with all this bs going on I think about using ezQuake only. What do you use for example?
2016-11-05, 09:28
286 posts

Sep 2012
Having had the same problems I use ezquake only.

Download one of theses: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezquake/files/stable/2.1.1/
Replace the .exe with the latest one: https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/releases/tag/v3.0.1
Add pak0 pak1 in your quake/id1 folder and you're done !

If you want a pack of HD textures/weapon, I sorted one for my videos and also put it in quake/id1: http://mdv.igmdb.org/zz-jisssepack.zip
2016-11-05, 11:45
22 posts

Jan 2016
I may be the stupid here, but isnt this just complicating matters?
Cant you just put all binds/variables in the config.cfg ? I know I did, and it works...
  7 posts on 1 page  1