User panel stuff on forum
  26 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-01-14, 05:37
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
I want to start up a new project called "Get Started!"

What does a newbie need to _get started_ ?

eQuake = ftp://ftp.yi.se/pub/software/equake

How to spec = http://emp.f.nu/equake/qizmo.jpg

Videos = NQR6 with commentary

Guide = QuakeWorld for Freshies

what more???

help me to make a good post so we can post it irght here on the forum !!!
2006-01-14, 07:58
6 posts

Jan 2006
if you have the patience to sit through ingame downloads, and if you don't want to infringe copyright, then snag the quickly done 4mb openquartzworld installer

http://www.planetgargoyle.com/quakestuff/oqw.exe

be warned fte crashes in the player setup screen, so you'll have to set your name and colors manually
2006-01-14, 10:41
1 post

Jan 2006
Maybe some demo's where the most popular maps are explained?
I thought phil was doing something like that a year a go, did the project die?
He tried to make avi's I think, to attract people who didn't have qw yet. With the result there was more flaming around about the graphics than the content. For newbies who actually installed qw allready this wouldn't be needed (avi's, mvd's would do).
2006-01-14, 11:31
7 posts

Jan 2006
I have worked on the same thing for some time now in a german quake-forum. I support the quake1 section there.

First of all I started with a little history explanation where I introduce some clans, leagues and the past of this game. But i didn't start in that time where quakeworld split the players a little bit. I started in the time when europe moved together more and more with leagues and players.

Then i listed all the things a player needs for a working quakeworld and where to get them. Furthermore i explained there that it isn't easy going when one starts to play quakeworld. It is a very high level of skill and that stamina is what a player needs to get into quakeworld.

How to spectate a game with a qizmo cam is a helpfull explanation too i think. I explained where to find the ips of qizmo server, where to get qizmo and who to see what player on a qizmo could be a cam. Then i used this series of pictures which was also used in the eql news of the eql 1 final by you sassa.

I planned an explanation for Frogbots next. Many players like to play bots first for a little while.

I have the link here. But is in german like i told and i think ist isn't that good. But my aim is to see what your "Get Started" in this forum is like and i hope that i can improve mine.
2006-01-14, 18:29
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
ohh I forgot the "how-to-spec-if-ur-newb"

http://emp.f.nu/equake/qizmo.jpg

http://emp.f.nu/equake/qizmo.jpg
2006-01-14, 21:10
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i think that qizmo image has something that ain't correct

i think it's the "show: observers" part that's wrong
2006-01-15, 00:36
248 posts

Jan 2006
Yes its wrong. Btw i just noticed the bottom, its page 32 of Qizmo magazine. Can i have a supscription on that magazine?
2006-01-15, 07:40
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
due to the lack of interest i had to put it down
2006-01-15, 12:38
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Qizmo: yea, by setting "show: players" you don't have to browse thru tons of observers, you just see the cams.
QW for Freshies: note that this guide is included in ezQuake QW client in it's inbuilt help system, accessible by typing /help in the console.
2006-01-15, 14:01
810 posts

Jan 1970
I'd say make newbies join #qwn and get help there, or #fuhquake/#ezquake to get client help
2006-01-15, 14:04
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i wouldn't encourage newbies to not read manuals
2006-01-15, 22:30
248 posts

Jan 2006
Perhaps a set of links, (a bit like the first post). I know this still is just a forum but having a sticky that someone moderates and add qwlinks and some small info would be usefull!
2006-01-15, 22:38
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I read your mind Hangman. :twisted:

Update
http://nqr.esports-zone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-01-16, 20:06
810 posts

Jan 1970
Isn't there an old experienced player out there who is able to write a good and complete history log of quakeworld. Including old tourneys and old leagues. I think it would be very intresting for newbies too when they see in which way quakeworld developed to this nearly perfect shooter it is today.
2006-01-16, 20:08
7 posts

Jan 2006
Damn i don't know that it is possible to post without being loged in. The guest post is written by me.
2006-01-16, 23:57
6 posts

Jan 2006
I think a fun flash animation introducing quakeworld and how to play and use it would be better.
2006-01-17, 00:08
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
I think a fun flash animation introducing quakeworld and how to play and use it would be better.

The first thing that comes to mind when i hear "Flash animation" is the cartoon part in "Bowling for columbine". A funny but educational flash animation would be awesome. I don't know if the QW community got any flash masters though. :rolleyes:
2006-01-17, 05:52
43 posts

Jan 2006
I have a great idea that's never been done before!

We all know that probably 95 percent of QuakeWorld converts are coming from other games which they are probably good at. The hardest thing in starting qw is getting your cfg customized. It takes months or years! But how about a headstart for some people who already know some cmds for their game.

I suggest a series of charts that allow players from other games to quickly find the cmd they know how to use already but don't know the name or syntaxt.

For Example

QW.......................................Q3
-----------------------------------------------------------------
sensitivity..............................sensitivity
name....................................name
fov........................................cg_fov
enemyskin / enemycolor.........cg_enemymodel / cg_enemycolors
teamskin / teamcolor..............cg_teammodel / cg_teamcolors
r_drawviewmodel....................cg_drawgun
cl_gameclock..........................cg_drawtimer
gl_gama.................................r_brightness
r_rockettrail............................cg_noprojectiletrails
observe..................................team s
join........................................team j
team......................................team r / team j
maps......................................maplist
(type name of map).................callvote map
(type name of mode)...............callvote g_gameplay / callvote mode

I really think this would make qw more accessible to a lot of people.
Perhaps their could be whole guides devoted to Q3 -> QW or UT2k4 -> QW etc
thoughts?
2006-01-17, 09:27
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
that's a great idea adamlls
2006-01-17, 10:35
810 posts

Jan 1970
Yeah that is a pretty good idea. Vio came to me yesterday and told me about the same idea, but i am too busy to make such a list at the moment. :<
2006-01-17, 13:44
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Doing that wiki-style would be nice, so it's not just a one man job which would be quite hard work. Or a kind of forum post which was accessible to everyone with a certain ranking or something (i guess that requires modding to the forum though?).
2006-01-17, 15:15
810 posts

Jan 1970
Quote:
Isn't there an old experienced player out there who is able to write a good and complete history log of quakeworld. Including old tourneys and old leagues. I think it would be very intresting for newbies too when they see in which way quakeworld developed to this nearly perfect shooter it is today.

I've still got the 121 pages of my smackdown column on my pc. Maybe some could be of use to an project like this.

Probably possible to put this in a wiki-style too so that it doesn't require a single writer.
2006-01-17, 15:21
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
when will we have an update on the column purity?
2006-01-21, 08:52
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Is ASE included in eQuake, or does it have its own serverlist included? People often ask for servers even if they have eQuake it seems?
2006-01-21, 12:46
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
eQuake contains ASE and I think it contains my servers.txt but it needs a facelift in the current eQuake
2006-01-25, 11:49
447 posts

Jan 2006
Get all the n00bs to join #qwhb and all will be well. (peppe, qwn is as good as dead :/ )
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
  26 posts on 1 page  1