Luke wrote:
They. just. don't. get it.

Care to elaborate?
IGN: sinistral
2017-01-16, 05:35
18 posts

Oct 2015
Two things that kills the upcoming quake for me:

1. Strafe jumping (using the movement keys) kills my fingers, the main reason i like QW bunny hopping instead.
2. Windows only. I'm a Linux user, so when something is released for Windows only, I simply could care less. Also, don't tell me about the "only 2% of the population uses Linux", when I see no one factoring in the fact people would switch to Linux in a heart-beat if all of their games were released for Linux, let alone the ones who duel boot between Windows and Linux.

Anyway, their target demographic seems to be the kiddies that follow the latest trends, and getting advice from the QuakeLive elitist (pros). So, I don't expect any bunny hopping, but yet expect the game to be somewhat dumbed down.

But what ever they do, I won't be interested as they're not interest in my business, which would only make sense, since I'm just an old school gamer. :3

Also, the QuakeLive steam release was a test on how to cater to the crowd. Just saying, and simply IMHO, don't shoot me.
2017-01-16, 05:51
22 posts

May 2006
Quote:
Care to elaborate?

There simply isn't a more awesome way to move and aircontrol than what qw physics offers.

They have not implemented said physics in a single goddamn platform since...

The game industry caters to money. Gameplay is so incredibly hard to come by.
2017-01-16, 18:09
626 posts

Jan 2006
Luke wrote:
Quote:
Care to elaborate?

There simply isn't a more awesome way to move and aircontrol than what qw physics offers.

I think one "players" in the game actually has the qw physics.
2017-01-17, 03:33
22 posts

May 2006
+forward inward circle bunnyhop?

We'll have to see about that.
2017-01-17, 04:32
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Luke wrote:
+forward inward circle bunnyhop?

We'll have to see about that.

that would be nice.... not one game has ever replicated that....

CPMA half-assed copied QW missing out on this.... Reflex exactly copied CPMA and PQL half-assed copied CPMA.
2017-01-17, 12:44
232 posts

Feb 2006
CPMA didn't half ass it at all. It was never trying to copy it in the first place
vb.drok-radnik.com
2017-01-17, 17:40
22 posts

May 2006
Quote:
CPMA didn't half ass it at all. It was never trying to copy it in the first place

"It made an effort to give air control"
2017-01-18, 02:51
69 posts

Aug 2014
m68k wrote:

Anyway, their target demographic seems to be the kiddies that follow the latest trends, and getting advice from the QuakeLive elitist (pros).

Correct. But it's always fun to watch people say "maybe this time will be different". That's why we have this thread )))
2017-01-18, 06:36
232 posts

Feb 2006
The idea was to incorporate physics tricks lost to the casual player-targeted Q3. Q3 already has air acceleration that QW doesn't, so air direction control had to peacefully coexist with air acceleration. They could have opted for a more QW feel by omitting air acceleration but then you'd lose a bunch of agility which would have been contrary to the intention of it all
vb.drok-radnik.com
2017-01-19, 01:58
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
phrenic wrote:
Luke wrote:
Quote:
Care to elaborate?

I think one "players" in the game actually has the qw physics.

Sorry to say my friend, but he doesn't :-(

Luckily I play defrag on and off (lately on Reflex) so I understand CPM physics well. Will be harder for qw players who hasn't practiced CPM movement though.
2017-03-09, 00:08
5 posts

Nov 2015
IF they want to 'unite' some quake / fps players they need to make it like Street Fighter 2 anniversary edition with player chars choosable from each (and keeping their abilities/physics) but per Quake or ID game - Doomguy, quakeguy, q3 guy, etc.
and have at least one player with pure qw physics - perhaps he has the abilities of Q1 player, movement, faster RLs, strong LG, but no rail, no hitscan weapons and 100 health on spawn
- have the q2/q3 guy with straight airmovement,
- doom guy might have really fast movement and a insta-kill chainsaw or something.
- perhaps other players could have double jumps or wall jumps
- but importantly they need to have classic maps from each of the quakes represented - DM4/DM2/DM3/DM6/Aero from QW plus best Q2/Q3 maps for quake2/3, QuakeLive
obviously certain player types might not be suitable for particlar maps, but that would be the interest in adapting your player or learning other play styles
Try to make everyone feel 'at home' and just see what comes out with balance etc.

And definitely be able to turn down the gfx to absolute minimum to suit high level play
2017-03-09, 00:17
152 posts

Feb 2012
I despair after the latest 'Nyx' character trailer. Seriously?..
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2017-03-13, 23:12
69 posts

Aug 2014
anyone remember this? http://www.wireheadstudios.org/generations/about.php
2017-03-14, 04:21
18 posts

Oct 2015
BREADLORD420 wrote:

I was aware of Quake Generations, but sadly never played it. Clearly Quake Generations stole ideas from Overwatch...

Another thing i mentioned in Discord and my blog, is that like with Overwatch, the characters in QC will be blabbering non-sense through-out the match. How often this blabbering will be, I have no clue, but that's what turned me off to Overwatch (note, I'd only watch people streaming it). Let's hope there's a way to turn that off, and if so, let's hope the streamers (including the ESPORTZ streams (assuming I bother to watch them)) turn the blabbering off.
2017-03-14, 04:24
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
BREADLORD420 wrote:

This was the Q3 based version of "Generations" which I don't believe gained any traction. Before this there was a Q2 version of generations where they literally pulled all the models, weapons, skin, artwork, directly from Q1, stuck them in a Q2 mod and allowed you to play vs Q2 players as the Q1 guy (but with no airmovement unfortuantely). id Software actually shut it down for copyright infringement (I have a copy somewhere I believe, it is very hard to get now). Anyway in the later versions of the original (q2) generations they also had the Doom guy and the Wolf guy.

You could even play Q1 single player with the Q2 guy etc.
2017-03-14, 07:57
188 posts

Feb 2008
Here's some in game footage from thump4 playing QC as Anarki at PAX, doesn't look too bad. However clearly it is more in the direction of Q3 than QW.
2017-03-16, 12:45
35 posts

Feb 2011
leopold wrote:
Here's some in game footage from thump4 playing QC as Anarki at PAX, doesn't look too bad. However clearly it is more in the direction of Q3 than QW.

still, it looks pretty amazing...

I was a bit skeptical, but after see the videos from PAX I'm actually looking forward to play QC.

the overall response so far from players was pretty good!

hopefully the general quake community doesn't fail again in understanding that QC is a new game with aspects of all quakes and not a remake of qw, q2, q3, etc.
2017-03-16, 17:56
280 posts

Jan 2015
overflow wrote:
leopold wrote:

I was a bit skeptical, but after see the videos from PAX I'm actually looking forward to play QC.

hopefully the general quake community doesn't fail again in understanding that QC is a new game with aspects of all quakes and not a remake of qw, q2, q3, etc.

It really looks like a remake of Q3/qlive.
dev
2017-03-30, 14:36
35 posts

Feb 2011
andrestone wrote:
overflow wrote:
leopold wrote:

Based on what?

I think QL look like a remake of Q3... For me (who didn't really play Q3), QL and Q3 are about the same game. The maps look the same, the movement look the same, the texture, the skins, the voice announcement... That's what I understand for remake.
But for who played Q3 for a long time and were aware of the minimum details, QL is a totally different game.

At least from the gameplay videos that I saw it so far, QC is far from being a remake from Q3/QL.

But obviously, is still Quake. You will always have a rocket launcher and not an AK-47!

April 6th the beta starts, let's see if the game can live up to the hype.
2017-03-31, 05:18
18 posts

Oct 2015
overflow wrote:
andrestone wrote:
overflow wrote:
leopold wrote:

Based on what?

I think QL look like a remake of Q3... For me (who didn't really play Q3), QL and Q3 are about the same game. The maps look the same, the movement look the same, the texture, the skins, the voice announcement... That's what I understand for remake.
But for who played Q3 for a long time and were aware of the minimum details, QL is a totally different game.

At least from the gameplay videos that I saw it so far, QC is far from being a remake from Q3/QL.

But obviously, is still Quake. You will always have a rocket launcher and not an AK-47!

Quake 3 was designed to be a multiplayer game, where Quake 1, 2 and 4 were designed as single player games, but with multiplayer support. QuakeLive is based on the Team Arena expansion pack for Quake 3, which is why you have the extra weapons such as the chain gun, prox mine and such. Quake Champions is being designed as a multiplayer game.

Oddly, I find the phone cam footage makes the game look way better and more attractive, than what Bethesda's PR team shows via trailers, and Tim Willits random comments about the game (I think he should just keep his mouth shut, IMHO).

I'd rather not bother reading and watching the garbage teasers that Bethesda releases, and wait to see how the game ends up being.
2017-03-31, 07:23
35 posts

Feb 2011
m68k wrote:
overflow wrote:
andrestone wrote:
overflow wrote:
leopold wrote:

Based on what?

Quake 3 was designed to be a multiplayer game, where Quake 1, 2 and 4 were designed as single player games, but with multiplayer support. QuakeLive is based on the Team Arena expansion pack for Quake 3, which is why you have the extra weapons such as the chain gun, prox mine and such. Quake Champions is being designed as a multiplayer game.

Oddly, I find the phone cam footage makes the game look way better and more attractive, than what Bethesda's PR team shows via trailers, and Tim Willits random comments about the game (I think he should just keep his mouth shut, IMHO).

I'd rather not bother reading and watching the garbage teasers that Bethesda releases, and wait to see how the game ends up being.

Yeah, I also find the phone footage of real gameplay much better, and there are quite a few out there.. But the PR work that Bethesda do.. it's just.. PR... That's their job and is like that in every game... For me, those promo videos doesn't show the game dimension at all, and it's being like that since Call of Duty 3...
2017-03-31, 10:34
16 posts

Jan 2017
m68k wrote:

That's because, as usual, devs don't seem to have the sense to get some footage of impressive players in their teasers, as opposed to just being like "ok go up that jump pad in front of me and I'll stand still over here and rail you" :p
2017-04-05, 00:30
42 posts

Sep 2014
New raw gameplay trailer featuring Anarki (air control champion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEUD0WnTzs
IGN: sinistral
2017-04-05, 08:21
286 posts

Sep 2012
This looks a lot better than the rest !
2017-04-05, 15:16
16 posts

Jan 2017
Nice to have footage of a skilled player getting some work done.

Apparently that's legendary Q3 player ZeRo4 playing. I feel like the movement is awkward looking in that clip, I wonder if it's due to the game or if he's just not used to having air control.
  56 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page