User panel stuff on forum
  93 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
LAN tournaments
2016-04-07, 13:12
280 posts

Jan 2015
Ake Vader wrote:
Reading the first post in this thread again, what security issues in MVDSV/KTX are so critical they need fixing before a LAN tournament?

There are threads on the specific forums. Just check the latest.

Ake Vader wrote:

Also, to minimise people dependency, couldn't another way of doing things be to simply use the current nQuake installer, put ezQuake 3.x and the proposed texture additions etc on top and make that available somewhere as "The proposed Quakecon setup"? I.e. make the actual installed Quake folder online. Installing it on the tournament PC's would be a copy/paste activity.

As far as I can remember: Time constraints. Very little time to switch players' setup. Leaving it as open as that (copying pasting) could mess up with the schedule because of problems that an open installation like that could lead to. (these are not my arguments, it was extensively stated by Lilie in the #qcon2016-qw channel).

Ake Vader wrote:

Edit: don't get me wrong - if all of the stuff in the first post can be done before 30th April then that would be awesome of course!

Some people are working on it. I am counting on mushi to update nQuake and I am working in some developments also. We still need people to test what is being made. Incredibly enough, the only thing I can see that can make us not being capable of doing it is people not sending their requests.

Ake Vader wrote:

Lilie wrote:
We are allowing the config, the crosshairs, and now the hud files. I think this is a good compromise. We will use the latest nquake installer (one install with high def textures, one without) and of course the latest ezquake should be in that. Latest meaning latest release prior to Quakecon. I would imagine players would want to know what is possible to customize through ezquake with as much advance notice as possible, so the April 30th date is a nice suggestion if there is to be a major update. It isn't anything I am pushing or asking for, but as a community I can see that you guys want that. As a tournament we are happy with what is there now with the qcon ruleset that dimman has so graciously made.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I look forward to seeing some online cups in anticipation for the event.

I think only one setup is required as enabling the 24 bit textures is done with the gl_externaltextures_world command. Think the nQuake installer gives the option to (not) download the 24bit textures due to the file size (few hundred Mb).

True.
dev
2016-04-07, 14:22
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Holy shit the Quakeworld community is spoiled.

If QCON would do as any other pro tournament organizer, we would be playing on the standard release of QuakeWorld from 20 years ago. Not some non-ID-built ezQuake.

In StarCraft tournaments, you are given a computer with an installation and you play on it. You can only change your sensitivity. Most often the computer is too bad to even run good graphics which forces players to suddenly play on the lowest possible graphic settings. This changes textures, the visibility in general, but they deal with it. Most players practice on the lowest graphics only to be prepared for tournament computers. This is exactly like QuakeWorld players having to practice on standard settings - to be prepared for QCON. StarCraft is massive compared to QuakeWorld yet they deal with it, but we can't?

QCON doesn't have to give reasons. They set the rules, we follow them. We go to the tournament to try to collect the moneyz. I really can't believe the attitude towards QCON when they are hosting a $25000 tournament. If you are unhappy with their decision, keep your damn rants to yourselves. If this is how we act towards organizers, do you think anyone would ever want to host another QuakeWorld tournament?

Rio is correct. As long as there are proper skins in the nQuake installation, people should be fine. Yes, you might not have your exact textures as you're used to, but you have MONTHS to practice with the ones included in the nQuake package. DEAL WITH IT.
2016-04-07, 14:31
280 posts

Jan 2015
Andeh wrote:

If QCON would do as any other pro tournament organizer, we would be playing on the standard release of QuakeWorld from 20 years ago. Not some non-ID-built ezQuake.

In StarCraft tournaments, you are given a computer with an installation and you play on it. You can only change your sensitivity. Most often the computer is too bad to even run good graphics which forces players to suddenly play on the lowest possible graphic settings. This changes textures, the visibility in general, but they deal with it. Most players practice on the lowest graphics only to be prepared for tournament computers. This is exactly like QuakeWorld players having to practice on standard settings - to be prepared for QCON. StarCraft is massive compared to QuakeWorld yet they deal with it, but we can't?

QCON doesn't have to give reasons. They set the rules, we follow them. We go to the tournament to try to collect the moneyz. I really can't believe the attitude towards QCON when they are hosting a $25000 tournament. If you are unhappy with their decision, keep your damn rants to yourselves. If this is how we act towards organizers, do you think anyone would ever want to host another QuakeWorld tournament?

Rio is correct. As long as there are proper skins in the nQuake installation, people should be fine. Yes, you might not have your exact textures as you're used to, but you have MONTHS to practice with the ones included in the nQuake package. DEAL WITH IT.

Thumbs up!

The fact is that they did even more for us. They were so nice that they gave us time to do as much as we can for the releases until April 30th.

If you care about your customization and want it to be usable in QuakeCon, read the first post and request your stuff.

Thanks.
dev
2016-04-07, 15:37
223 posts

Aug 2011
Andeh wrote:

False. "We" would not travel across the globe to play QW 2.30 and thus the competition would be so heavily watered down it would be no point in hosting it. So "we" wouldn´t be playing anything at all.

Also, how could the QW community be spoiled? We are a community completely and independently run by ourselves. If you think: "Well, we still act a spoiled." We have every right to do so, just because we have built this community ourselves.

Quote:

The players accepting to play under those circumstances are obviously accepting the terms. Why should we deal with it? We are not making money and climbing the ranks in a prestigeous game. It is as you say: StarCraft is massive compared to QuakeWorld, but that is exactly why they deal with it. You draw the wrong conclusion.

Quote:

They are not a charity organisation looking to give us a gift. They are running a business and are prepared to pay 25.000 USD for our community to "bite", so wouldn´t taking an extra step to accomodate our wishes be seen as quite cheap? They are adults and can handle a discussion. Lets say the terms of the tournament were so poor that not a single european went overseas and barely any good US QW players. What would they be left with? A twitch chat spamming: "Who the f*ck are these players? Is this a joke? BibleThump" "These scrubs wouldn´t even be able to connect to a server Milton was on." etc. Or perhaps no tournament at all.

No, I think they are very wise to come here and ask us what we want and we push the discussion forward to the best of our ability. Many players have QW extremely close to heart and thus the discussion gets heated. It´s the same dedication and love they see in our heated discussions here as they will see in the impressive gaming in the QCon 2on2 tournament. You could not have one without the other.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2016-04-07, 15:55
280 posts

Jan 2015
cara wrote:
Andeh wrote:

False. "We" would not travel across the globe to play QW 2.30 and thus the competition would be so heavily watered down it would be no point in hosting it. So "we" wouldn´t be playing anything at all.

Also, how could the QW community be spoiled? We are a community completely and independently run by ourselves. If you think: "Well, we still act a spoiled." We have every right to do so, just because we have built this community ourselves.

Quote:

The players accepting to play under those circumstances are obviously accepting the terms. Why should we deal with it? We are not making money and climbing the ranks in a prestigeous game. It is as you say: StarCraft is massive compared to QuakeWorld, but that is exactly why they deal with it. You draw the wrong conclusion.

Quote:

They are not a charity organisation looking to give us a gift. They are running a business and are prepared to pay 25.000 USD for our community to "bite", so wouldn´t taking an extra step to accomodate our wishes be seen as quite cheap? They are adults and can handle a discussion. Lets say the terms of the tournament were so poor that not a single european went overseas and barely any good US QW players. What would they be left with? A twitch chat spamming: "Who the f*ck are these players? Is this a joke? BibleThump" "These scrubs wouldn´t even be able to connect to a server Milton was on." etc. Or perhaps no tournament at all.

No, I think they are very wise to come here and ask us what we want and we push the discussion forward to the best of our ability. Many players have QW extremely close to heart and thus the discussion gets heated. It´s the same dedication and love they see in our heated discussions here as they will see in the impressive gaming in the QCon 2on2 tournament. You could not have one without the other.

Alright. What about the thread purpose? Do you want some customization? Please request.

Cheers!
dev
2016-04-07, 20:18
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
cara wrote:
Andeh wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

You underestimate the power of $25000. People would go to the tournament even if they had to play netQuake. Considering how small of a community we are, we should be extremely thankful for such a tournament, not bash on them or show attitude towards them that every player cannot be satisfied with the setup. On IRC it was discussed for weeks in the qcon channel, and Lilie came to the conclusion that she does not have manpower to control everything - fine. Then it's up to us to adapt.

The attitude of some in this chat makes them look spoiled. Not moneywise, but that they have always gotten to play on their own machines that it makes them freak out when settings are not what they are used to on their own home setups. No other game ever complains as much as the smallest one, apparently.

Lilie also stated on IRC that she is working more with the QuakeWorld community than any other game, ever. And that her management has advised her to simply stop all communications with the QuakeWorld community and stick to the original rules. We should be happy that she listens to us and tries to find a middle ground. Not try to push our luck. That will only lead to them cutting communication with us altogether.
2016-04-07, 22:08
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
wise words
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2016-04-07, 22:22
223 posts

Aug 2011
Andeh wrote:

You underestimate the power of $25000. People would go to the tournament even if they had to play netQuake. Considering how small of a community we are, we should be extremely thankful for such a tournament, not bash on them or show attitude towards them that every player cannot be satisfied with the setup. On IRC it was discussed for weeks in the qcon channel, and Lilie came to the conclusion that she does not have manpower to control everything - fine. Then it's up to us to adapt.

The attitude of some in this chat makes them look spoiled. Not moneywise, but that they have always gotten to play on their own machines that it makes them freak out when settings are not what they are used to on their own home setups. No other game ever complains as much as the smallest one, apparently.

Lilie also stated on IRC that she is working more with the QuakeWorld community than any other game, ever. And that her management has advised her to simply stop all communications with the QuakeWorld community and stick to the original rules. We should be happy that she listens to us and tries to find a middle ground. Not try to push our luck. That will only lead to them cutting communication with us altogether.

Name these people, please, I´m very interested to hear who´d show up for that!

Thankful is not the word you´re looking for. That would make us a charity case and I doubt people would get behind that. I do however think that we should be happy that our beloved game finally gets some recognition, but as people have identified, it has to be done right in order for that to happen.

I´m sure bigger games and tournament hosts are completely free of complaints and critizism. That seems plausible...?

And with the amount of experience ID has of running high end QW tournaments, it´s well in order for her to do so.

On a more positive note though, I´m really happy she is taking this tournament seriously and I have no doubt she is trying to make it all that it can be. It´s also impressive to see this amount of personal interaction in an open forum just for the sake of transparency. It speaks loads to her character.

Your reasoning is emotional but your point in that we should find a middle ground is spot on.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2016-04-07, 23:35
280 posts

Jan 2015
I know that everyone has something to say, but please don't hijack the thread

AND YOU THAT ONLY READS THE LAST POST, PLEASE REFER TO THE FIRST MESSAGE.

THIS TOPIC IS FOR PLAYERS WHO WANT TO USE CUSTOM FILES ON QUAKECON THAT ARE NOT ALREADY FEATURED IN NQUAKE.

REFER TO THE FIRST MESSAGE AND POST YOUR REQUESTS.
dev
2016-04-08, 03:45
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
cara wrote:
Andeh wrote:

Name these people, please, I´m very interested to hear who´d show up for that!

Thankful is not the word you´re looking for. That would make us a charity case and I doubt people would get behind that. I do however think that we should be happy that our beloved game finally gets some recognition, but as people have identified, it has to be done right in order for that to happen.

I´m sure bigger games and tournament hosts are completely free of complaints and critizism. That seems plausible...?

And with the amount of experience ID has of running high end QW tournaments, it´s well in order for her to do so.

On a more positive note though, I´m really happy she is taking this tournament seriously and I have no doubt she is trying to make it all that it can be. It´s also impressive to see this amount of personal interaction in an open forum just for the sake of transparency. It speaks loads to her character.

Your reasoning is emotional but your point in that we should find a middle ground is spot on.

(sorry andrestone, this'll be my last post in this thread about this subject)

Thankful is indeed the word I'm looking for. We should be thankful that they are hosting a tournament for us. They do not need to, they could have used more of the sponsor money for QuakeLive that attracts a bigger audience than QuakeWorld. But they chose to also throw a hell of a party for QuakeWorld, and we should be very thankful for that.

Bigger games and tournaments are of course not free of complaints or critizism, I never claimed they were.

You are mistaken about my reasoning being emotional. My reasoning is realistic. The different demands made by some members of our beloved community are not. At least not in QuakeCon eyes. They may seem like no biggie for us, who are used to always allowing everything, though.

--------------------

ON TOPIC

On the topic, make sure that regular brightskins are included in the package (I'm not sure which skins are included actually, I remember having to download mine which are the regular green_2.png or whatever they're named. They're in the gfx section anyways). I think Rio said it all in this post:

rio wrote:
Seriously, can we please stop complaining about everything QuakeCon is doing.
Face it, QuakeWorld players are living in it's own little dreambubble for the past 15years.
This is how the rules are for every single other serious comptetitive tournament, in any game.

You don't get to play with your hello kitty painted grenades, just adapt.

The only person who I can kind of understand the frustration from is Dimman who has put in development time.

I only have one feature request and that is one I think anyone can agree on: good default fullbright skins.
2016-04-08, 04:46
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
andrestone wrote:
Why be so rude with Quakecon people? They were nice enough to hear us and not make us play in a unknown standard setup that could even be something different from nQuake, I THANK THEM FOR THAT.

This is correct... if you remember the CPL, players had to use qw2.33/Qizmo when the rest of the world were already using FuhQuake and MQWCL.
2016-04-13, 16:13
280 posts

Jan 2015
I'm about to release the first release candidate for the nQuake customization solution.

If you feel like you want to test, please contact.
dev
2016-04-13, 17:37
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
andrestone wrote:
I'm about to release the first release candidate for the nQuake customization solution.

I wanna test!
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-04-14, 00:50
8 posts

Oct 2014
andrestone wrote:

I wanna test!
2016-04-14, 05:14
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
andrestone wrote:

Dev - hit me up
2016-04-14, 07:59
152 posts

Feb 2012
Can help with that
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2016-04-14, 12:10
55 posts

Oct 2011
Could also help.
BaseQ.fr Administrator o/
2016-04-15, 03:45
280 posts

Jan 2015
We're working on the latest features and some bugs I noticed myself. Hopefully I will have time to finish it tomorrow and send the RC to testers.

Main window:
http://i.imgur.com/dh9r6Xz.png

Regular file replacement:
http://i.imgur.com/f9xs0vh.png

Advanced file replacement / addition:
http://i.imgur.com/NGgF4bj.png

User template saving / loading:
http://i.imgur.com/jugWaOU.png

I'm considering to add a field in the main window where the user can point the cfg file, so it will be added to the pk3 and avoid need of execing the cfg after loading other's (previous player).

I'm not sure about what cmdline options we should have there (if any). Any ideas?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
dev
2016-04-15, 05:07
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
This ambitious launcher is looking really neat. So will all media on gfx.qw.nu be pointable? Great job so far.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2016-04-15, 08:24
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
The ruleset is called qcon in the dimman/qcon branch of ezquake.

So, did you oppose the suggestions we had to allow .pk3 just to be able to write this unnecessary tool? If I don't misunderstand it, it just solves a self-created problem that doesn't really exist otherwise.

QCon won't allow/trust ezQuake to determine what files to allow or not, but they would allow/trust your unofficial nquake third party tool instead?
2016-04-15, 09:11
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
I can see how this helps a new nquake user get their system configured, but not sure how it helps during qcon tournament?

The user account running the app would need access to the texture directory to copy the textures across... at which point the user has access to the folder, so the app will just get an access denied message? Or is it the plan that an admin runs this program under a different user account to get the system configured, then the standard user account is used to run quake.exe and has the qw/ directory locked down (apart from hud/crosshair/etc)?
2016-04-15, 10:21
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
meag wrote:
I can see how this helps a new nquake user get their system configured, but not sure how it helps during qcon tournament?

The user account running the app would need access to the texture directory to copy the textures across... at which point the user has access to the folder, so the app will just get an access denied message? Or is it the plan that an admin runs this program under a different user account to get the system configured, then the standard user account is used to run quake.exe and has the qw/ directory locked down (apart from hud/crosshair/etc)?

That would really solve the "easy to switch players" problem ....
A simple copy/paste or extract would be sufficient, then again using this would require that they trust this tool which in turn implies they wouldn't trust the client. It's thats the case it's so backwards it hurts.
2016-04-15, 11:37
43 posts

Apr 2012
--- Double post ---

(Edited 2016-04-15, 11:38)
2016-04-15, 11:37
43 posts

Apr 2012
I'm not a big fan of this solution. You are just downloading and replacing things from a source that anyone can upload just about anything to?
This is probably even less secure than everyone just submitting a .pk3 or a .zip file
2016-04-15, 15:11
280 posts

Jan 2015
bps wrote:
This ambitious launcher is looking really neat. So will all media on gfx.qw.nu be pointable? Great job so far.

Thank you!

The idea is to have the most popular LEGAL files inside the gfx catalogue. Until now, very few players have requested additions to it, so the catalogue is quite small.
dev
2016-04-15, 15:34
43 posts

Apr 2012
andrestone wrote:
bps wrote:

Thank you!

The idea is to have the most popular LEGAL files inside the gfx catalogue. Until now, very few players have requested additions to it, so the catalogue is quite small.

Ok, I don't think that really came across. As it looks like you have the entire gfx.quakeworld.nu archive to pick from
2016-04-15, 15:45
280 posts

Jan 2015
dimman wrote:
The ruleset is called qcon in the dimman/qcon branch of ezquake.

Fixing it. Thank you.

dimman wrote:

So, did you oppose the suggestions we had to allow .pk3 just to be able to write this unnecessary tool?

What makes you think I opposed the pk3 idea? Just because I stopped fighting for something I knew I wasn't able to fight against and tried another way to reach what we all wanted?

Quote:

[16:27] <Lilie> but because quake is so old there really isn't anything I can do other than what has been discussed
[16:30] <dev-br> the solution is: every player can bring one pk3 file or one cfg file. The pk3 file can contain your cfg file and images (sounds are not allowed). Next ezQuake release will define the folder structure to be followed by pk3 files users, in order to replace the images. All of this is subjected to the other rules and if the player is caught doing something out of rules he is banned.
[16:31] <dev-br> I think it would be nice to add that playing sounds or any kind of timing is not allowed. Also printing item timing on the hud is not allowed also.
[16:31] <dev-br> i can't think of anything better if you agree with that

Could you please stop judging me? Who is speculating now?

dimman wrote:

If I don't misunderstand it, it just solves a self-created problem that doesn't really exist otherwise.

So now what? I decided to develop it because I think it will be useful not only for QuakeCon, but also for beginners who want to customize their nQuake. Also, from time to time, I like to try some new images, huds, setups, and I feel like I can make use of this software to make this process easier and more comfortable. I know that some other people feels the same way.

I have a family and a full-time job. I don't have time to waste on things i'm not serious about and I don't need to "self-create" problems just to spend some time.

dimman wrote:

QCon won't allow/trust ezQuake to determine what files to allow or not,

Who said that? We all (most of us) have trusted ezQuake as the best Quakeworld client for competitive gaming we have (in general, no offense Spike ) for years. I suspect that if QuakeCon thinks otherwise they would have chosen another client.

dimman wrote:

but they would allow/trust your unofficial nquake third party tool instead?

Being packed inside nQuake (the one you can download at nQuake.com) by empezar himself makes it "official" enough for you? Or do we have to go back to the NASA talk?
dev
2016-04-15, 15:59
280 posts

Jan 2015
meag wrote:

The idea is to have the folders where changes can't be manually made (which is everywhere but \textures\wad and \ezquake\configs) write-protected, so the user can't modify. Windows has a compatibility option, that can be set only by the admin user, that makes an app to always "Run as Administrator" regardless of which user is running the app. That would grant file permissions to the app, not to the user.

Let's just make clear that it is an additional security measure that is not a requirement for the Launcher to work. Regular (non-qcon) users can use it regardless of this setting.

This is the idea, I didn't check how safe it is yet. Let's wait for the RC.

Cheers!

(Edited 2016-04-16, 13:14)
dev
2016-04-15, 17:25
280 posts

Jan 2015
Double post.
dev
2016-04-15, 20:22
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Hehe, I don't think the point is getting through, though as a developer I aim to figure out the core of problems and fix the real cause rather than creating workarounds. This is from a developer perspective a big workaround. No offense, you obviously have technical knowledge I'm not trying to discredit you or your creation per se. The whole thing is a big workaround that should be solved properly instead. I got "some" experience of the workaround-thinking from working with ezquake (inheriting all the legacy), and it's a big reason to why ezquake isn't better than what it is today and why it's really hard to change things without a gazillion things breaking.

Hehe speaking of NASA, if they were to apply the workaround mindset we would have never made it to space. They (atleast did) solve problems at their core and realized the importance of it. If you have weed (not the kind you smoke) in your garden, the proper way to get rid of it (fix it) is to dig it up and throw away, not cutting it down, then it will just grow again and spread.

If a solution is good or not is _always_ dependant on what the problem it's trying to solve is. I wish you luck with this. In the end Ihope the players get what they need to have a great time at QuakeCon.

I'm taking a break from all this so I wish everypne GL and HF Will make sure to watch the streams when it's getting played, looking forward to it!
  93 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page