User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2006-05-08, 23:46
182 posts

Mar 2006
If anyone has purchased a new computer lately and has encountered display adapters that are NOT GL friendly, could they post them here.

The get the name of display adapter, right click on the desktop --> Properties --> Settings.

I remember a few years back, most Dell computers could not do GL with Quake with their integrated Intel Extreme Graphics Controller.

Recently, the non-premium computers are coming with things like Integrated Intel® Media Accelerator 900 Graphics.

Is anyone encountering computers that ship with display adapters that hate GL anymore and have to use software? I would like to believe this never happens anymore.
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2006-05-09, 00:44
805 posts

Mar 2006
I wouldn't buy a graphic card that does not like GL!

BTW.: not long time ago, there was a problem with ATI's drivers without the proper GL support. and that's why I start using omega drivers.
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2006-05-09, 00:52
29 posts

May 2006
First off, windows doesn't ship with OpenGL drivers (Microsoft ships stripped down versions of each vendor's drivers that have only DirectX support), so anyone who hasn't gone out and downloaded a driver from the vendor can't run OpenGL games.

The last time I heard of a DX only card was the olden days of S3 virge, Matrox G200 (which had a D3D wrapper, and later got proper drivers), ATI Rage Pro (got proper drivers before Quake3's release).

The better question is, has anyone recently heard of a card that can't run Quake3? I haven't seen any recent benchmark results without Quake3 or similar.
2006-05-09, 03:50
182 posts

Mar 2006
LordHavoc wrote:
First off, windows doesn't ship with OpenGL drivers (Microsoft ships stripped down versions of each vendor's drivers that have only DirectX support), so anyone who hasn't gone out and downloaded a driver from the vendor can't run OpenGL games.

Ah, I did not know that.

But surely most of the computer vendors put that in (Dell, HP, etc.), I would think. Damn, more homework assignments.

This is why I care about software builds as a plan B. Video cards suck.
--------
Is that a roll of toothpicks in your pocket or are you just happy to see Sassa?
2006-05-14, 13:32
810 posts

Jan 1970
ATI Rage Pro
PowerVR PCX1
Trident Cyberblade3d i7 and earlier
Rendition 2200

Done.
2006-05-17, 05:45
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Baker5 wrote:
I remember a few years back, most Dell computers could not do GL with Quake with their integrated Intel Extreme Graphics Controller.

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m 12.1" Laptop and have experimented a lot with QW and more recently with an external CRT (which stops the LCD ghosting) and I have managed to get 77fps flat in 800x600 but I wouldn't recommend it....
  6 posts on 1 page  1