User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Site Feedback
2016-02-19, 00:42
News Writer
619 posts

Registered:
Nov 2008
Hey boys,

just figured since we're in the age of streaming, and most other sites has it, maybe it's time to give QuakeWorld a little stream list on the side of the main page? I'm thinking similar to www.teamliquid.net .

I do however have no idea how to do it myself but I'm sure there are brilliant minds out there who knows how to do it :-)

I think it should be quite foreground-ish, as in pretty damn visible (see teamliquid.net for reference) so it's impossible to miss if someone is streaming QuakeWorld, or if a QuakeWorld community member is streaming whatsoever. Possibly remove the OWNET/FIND GAMES piece (does that even serve any purpose and does anyone ever use it?) and replace it with a stream list since it has the perfect position on the homepage.

I guess it would be possible to manually add streams to the list to track, or maybe track http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Quake? That would not allow streamers like LocKtar to show up if he's playing a different game than QuakeWorld though.

Any brilliant mind out there who thinks it's a nice idea? :-)

Yours
2016-02-19, 16:58
Member
322 posts

Registered:
Nov 2006
Here is the link to the Twitch API
https://github.com/justintv/Twitch-API

I think getting the current streams would be something like this
https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/streams?game=Quake

For more specific info on each channel you need query each channel via the API. But maybe not even necessary.

Assuming this page runs PHP - here is your quick start:

$streams = json_decode(file_get_contents("https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/streams?game=Quake", true);

foreach ($streams["streams"] as $stream)
{
echo $stream["channel"]["display_name"]." ".$stream["viewers"]."\n";
}


You can adjust what you want to display and put your HTML/CSS around it as you wish of course..

EDIT: Who converts text into emoticons in "code" blocks?!
2016-02-21, 11:01
News Writer
300 posts

Registered:
Feb 2008
Ake has something like this on his http://refragged.com/ site.

Who has http://www.twitch.tv/QuakeWorld by the way?
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2016-02-21, 15:15
News Writer
619 posts

Registered:
Nov 2008
ocoini wrote:
Ake has something like this on his http://refragged.com/ site.

Who has http://www.twitch.tv/QuakeWorld by the way?


Yeah, but qw.nu is the main quakeworld homepage and I think we should do everything we can to promote people streaming Quake!

No idea who has that channel actually :X

(could anyone with admin power do anything with what Tuna just replied? Dimman? Or can only Zalon do things like that?)
2016-02-21, 21:11
Member
148 posts

Registered:
Sep 2013
Andeh wrote:
(could anyone with admin power do anything with what Tuna just replied?)


Relevant.
2016-02-25, 21:35
News Writer
300 posts

Registered:
Feb 2008
Andeh wrote:
ocoini wrote:
Ake has something like this on his http://refragged.com/ site.

Who has http://www.twitch.tv/QuakeWorld by the way?


Yeah, but qw.nu is the main quakeworld homepage and I think we should do everything we can to promote people streaming Quake!

No idea who has that channel actually :X

(could anyone with admin power do anything with what Tuna just replied? Dimman? Or can only Zalon do things like that?)


Aye, but if it was just somekind of html code or something easy we already have (like ake's) that could just be forwarded to Zalon, it might be abit easier yes.
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
  6 posts on 1 page  1