User panel stuff on forum
  106 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
Client Talk
2015-12-15, 14:34
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Still using ezQuake 2.x?? Try the latest ezQuake 3.0 alpha instead! There are many bug fixes and improvements in 3.0, some of them require you to adapt your config. Relax though, this should be something you will have to do once and never again hopefully. Read on and you will understand why:

Fov adjustment
Info: ezQuake 2 requires different fov's for different monitors/resolutions. ezQuake 3 does not, use the same fov value no matter what resolution/monitor, it will look the same, it also supports 16:9 properly.

How: If you use a widescreen monitor/resolution, go back to your 4:3 fov. Run calc_fov 124 (replace 124 with your current fov) in ezQuake 3 and it will print what fov to change to.

Video mode adjustments
Info: Video system has been simplified. Currently uses the desktop resolution by default (togglable) since most displays today have one native resolution only. vid_mode, vid_customwidth, vid_customheight etc has been removed or replaced.

How: vid_usedesktopres 1. If set to 0 then set resolution with vid_width and vid_height.

Mouse input
Info: All in_mouse settings have been replaced with a in_raw 0/1 toggle. Raw input or no raw input. For Windows users using in_mouse 2 or in_mouse 3 in ezQuake 2 nothing should need to be done.
OSX users can finally enjoy raw input with no acceleration!
Linux users no longer have to deal with permissions for evdev or anything like that, it just works (TM)

How: If you are used to in_mouse 1 on Windows, then set in_raw to 0, although we recommend keeping it on for the best input handling.

NIGHLTY Link: http://uttergrottan.localghost.net/ezquake/dev/nightlybuilds/win32/

(This post is a work in progress... Also if you've experienced problems that you think should be brought up, feel free to reply)

(Edited 2015-12-20, 11:55)
2015-12-15, 15:14
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Dimmaster

Is this 3.0 (not alpha/beta)?
Is it officially time to upgrade now?
Or what does your "Work in progress" mean
Join us on discord.quake.world
2015-12-15, 17:06
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
bps wrote:
Dimmaster

Is this 3.0 (not alpha/beta)?
Is it officially time to upgrade now?
Or what does your "Work in progress" mean

It's not 3.0 final yet no but it's rather close, it's in a good shape and I don't expect things to change much at all. I would highly recommend upgrading at this stage.
Upgrading to the final 3.0 when it arrives should be no hazzle.

We decided to do most of these major changes at once to avoid breaking things in between future updates. I've been updating my own client that I play with every time we've made a fix basically without any big hickups.

I hope more people want to upgrade and dare to try being on the nightly build train updating often!
2015-12-15, 17:29
343 posts

Feb 2006
Are there a double click icon for Mac OSX now, like 2.2 ? Where it uses the normal windows folder system, like 2.2

I got a Mac and game on it, but my QW dir also has the Windows version and they share all the files, when mapping on Win7 via parallels
ProjectQ1Q3, Frogbot Waypoint and Map Conversion Tutorial @ http://mickkn.mooo.com
2015-12-17, 07:11
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Is there any chance we could move towards some official alternative weapon sounds replacements?
Also a quick and easy way to disable the text that comes up if you start a sentence with if or who, etc - while typing in consol would be nice. So that the text actually gets sent, and you don't have to click uparrow, and make a space infront of the sentence to get it to send.

(Edited 2015-12-17, 11:36)
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2015-12-17, 08:22
344 posts

Nov 2006
Mick wrote:
Are there a double click icon for Mac OSX now, like 2.2 ? Where it uses the normal windows folder system, like 2.2

I got a Mac and game on it, but my QW dir also has the Windows version and they share all the files, when mapping on Win7 via parallels

The media files are inside the app bundle (the double click thingie..). This requires you to be very careful in case of updates though. As simply replacing the app with a newer one will delete all your configs, demos, textures.. basically anything you changed compared to a vanilla install.

That being said you may try to remove the "id" place inside the bundle completely and make a symbolic link to your shared media location between OS X and Windows. This way the folders would be shared and your stuff wont be lost in case you upgrade the OSX bundle. You will have to repeat the symbolic link stuff again though..

I have never tried though if it works correctly :-)
2015-12-17, 11:37
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Tuna wrote:
Mick wrote:

The media files are inside the app bundle (the double click thingie..). This requires you to be very careful in case of updates though. As simply replacing the app with a newer one will delete all your configs, demos, textures.. basically anything you changed compared to a vanilla install.

That being said you may try to remove the "id" place inside the bundle completely and make a symbolic link to your shared media location between OS X and Windows. This way the folders would be shared and your stuff wont be lost in case you upgrade the OSX bundle. You will have to repeat the symbolic link stuff again though..

I have never tried though if it works correctly :-)

I don't have a Mac unfortunately, but isn't it sufficient to otherwise copy the binary to the quake folder and then make a shortcut to execute it on the desktop? That way it should use the dir it's launched from as basedir?
2015-12-17, 12:43
280 posts

Jan 2015
ocoini wrote:
Is there any chance we could move towards some official alternative weapon sounds replacements?
Also a quick and easy way to disable the text that comes up if you start a sentence with if or who, etc - while typing in consol would be nice. So that the text actually gets sent, and you don't have to click uparrow, and make a space infront of the sentence to get it to send.

Just hold shift and press enter and cliente will ignore commands.
dev
2015-12-17, 12:52
344 posts

Nov 2006
dimman wrote:
I don't have a Mac unfortunately, but isn't it sufficient to otherwise copy the binary to the quake folder and then make a shortcut to execute it on the desktop? That way it should use the dir it's launched from as basedir?

It could be possible. Create an shell script and execute ezquake binary there with a -basedir option to the path where it lies. Just clicking the executable most likely won't work. OS X does not assume the binary path as current working directory when launched. It defaults to something non-intuitive useless.
2015-12-18, 10:06
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Just some fun info: Yesterday (or this night actually) I added a command to find other players quickly (based on QTV info so it wont show specs or players on servers not connected to QTV, but it's superfast)

Hit /find to list all players or hit /find nick to list players matching nick (case sensitive).

It's possible it hasn't made it to the nightly builds yet but it will tonight in that case (or you could build from src).

I'm hoping an ingame QTV-browser will happen soon
2015-12-18, 14:25
214 posts

Feb 2011
I've been using a recent nightly (I think December 9), I noticed that the textures for one of my maps aren't loading. The difference is that these textures are .jpg, whereas my others are .png or .tga and I think they still work fine. I think I remember from another thread that the build system wasn't linking to libjpg, is that still the case or is there something else going on?

Thanks,
BD
2015-12-18, 16:22
38 posts

Jan 2014
On the subject of server browser enhancements, I'd like to suggest:

A way to ignore selected servers/prevent then from being pinged.

The reason being that it is annoying seeing that "Custom TF for the people" server and its bots constantly at/near the top of my server browser. It has 28 bots online right now, and the SB thinks they are all human players. I'd rather not see it at all.
2015-12-18, 17:14
271 posts

Feb 2006
those bots have a very specific ping value. its trivial to explicitly recognise that ping and flag them as bots. this is what fte's server browser does because of that f-ing server.
that server is just causing players to filter out everything but ktx, which is bad.
moo
2015-12-18, 21:21
223 posts

Aug 2011
When using vid_restart, all my custom (homemade) hud elements gets replaced with some random ones.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2015-12-20, 08:02
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
Just some fun info: Yesterday (or this night actually) I added a command to find other players quickly (based on QTV info so it wont show specs or players on servers not connected to QTV, but it's superfast)

Hit /find to list all players or hit /find nick to list players matching nick (case sensitive).

Awesome dimman. Think, one day the server browser actually works again. I'm still stuck with the problem that every other time I refresh all servers disappear until restart. Lovely fail
Join us on discord.quake.world
2015-12-20, 11:22
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
bps wrote:
dimman wrote:

Awesome dimman. Think, one day the server browser actually works again. I'm still stuck with the problem that every other time I refresh all servers disappear until restart. Lovely fail

Just a simple test, try hitting backspace to erase in case you happened to hit any other buttons (activating filtering of servers).
2015-12-20, 11:33
35 posts

Feb 2011
Where can I download?

Checked here and didn't find:
http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/download/

Checked the beta page and didn't find either:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezquake/files/beta/

Thanks.
2015-12-20, 11:56
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
overflow wrote:
Where can I download?

Thanks.

I updated first post with a link to nightly builds (there's also a news post from not long ago explaining some of the news).
2015-12-22, 08:36
35 posts

Feb 2011
dimman wrote:
overflow wrote:
Where can I download?

Thanks.

I updated first post with a link to nightly builds (there's also a news post from not long ago explaining some of the news).

Thanks, I'll try it later.
2015-12-22, 16:11
214 posts

Feb 2011
What about the .jpg texture issue from my post? Was it ignored because I am not European
2015-12-22, 16:40
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
BLooD_DoG wrote:
What about the .jpg texture issue from my post? Was it ignored because I am not European

Not at all I've tested the latest nightly and the one from 9th Dec, both seem to have jpg support working ok. Can you give more details of the textures that aren't loading - where abouts are they on your file system, and are they posted anywhere online so I could download and test here?

One thing I did notice is that .png will be loaded before any .jpg, so if you have a .png texture set in a different folder or pak/pk3, that might be getting picked up instead of the .jpg? Does 2.2 definitely load the .jpg textures from the same folder structure?
2015-12-23, 08:51
214 posts

Feb 2011
I'm away for the holidays and don't have my desktop, but I just tried on my laptop and the behavior is the same. Using an ezquake 3 build that I compiled myself around March 2015, the textures load fine, but not when using the nightlies (tried both Dec 9 and latest Dec 19).

The textures are in the \qw\textures\skull folder, I uploaded them to http://upload.foppa.dk/files/skull%20textures.zip so that you can check.

Thanks,
BD

P.S. The nightlies are about 50% larger than the build I compiled. I think you can run "make strip" to remove debugging info from the binaries and save on size, see instructions on this thread. [edit] Looking at that thread, on the last page Ake also reported a problem with jpeg textures. Dimman said it should be fixed but there was no confirmation or follow up.
2015-12-23, 11:16
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
BLooD_DoG wrote:
I'm away for the holidays and don't have my desktop, but I just tried on my laptop and the behavior is the same. Using an ezquake 3 build that I compiled myself around March 2015, the textures load fine, but not when using the nightlies (tried both Dec 9 and latest Dec 19).

The textures are in the \qw\textures\skull folder, I uploaded them to http://upload.foppa.dk/files/skull%20textures.zip so that you can check.

Thanks,
BD

P.S. The nightlies are about 50% larger than the build I compiled. I think you can run "make strip" to remove debugging info from the binaries and save on size, see instructions on this thread. [edit] Looking at that thread, on the last page Ake also reported a problem with jpeg textures. Dimman said it should be fixed but there was no confirmation or follow up.

I can confirm that there was an issue back then, taking jpg screenshots didn't work either. That has since been fixed.

Are you sure you are executing the correct binary? I have to ask because it does work fine for me too and haven't heard anyone else complain about it since it was actually broken last time

EDIT: Nightlies are test builds and not official releases so they aren't stripped on purpose
2015-12-23, 17:32
214 posts

Feb 2011
Dimman please, I'm not that noob! But I did figure out the problem and it's almost as embarrassing... To make a long story short, the problem was reversed: the builds I was using before, including mine, never loaded the jpeg textures properly (which I didn't realize) while your latest did. I got used to playing with "default" skull and forgot I had a custom textures folder for it. When your build looked different but only for skull (every other map I had textures for looked the same as what I was used to), I looked at all my textures and noticed that coincidentally only the skull folder had .jpegs while textures for all other maps, which worked fine, were not .jpeg. I then (very reasonably) assumed that the problem was that your build wasn't loading jpeg textures, especially after I remembered the problem with .jpegs from the other thread. It turns out that all this time it was my build wasn't loading the jpegs To test, I used your nightly and just renamed my textures\skull folder to something else so that it doesn't load, and now my skull looks normal again :|
2015-12-28, 14:11
61 posts

Jan 2006
With 3.0 x I have much more treble in the sound. Or it can be some treble echo too, hard to say. I have tried to set s_mixahead, s_khz etc but it doesn't help. Anyone else have the same "problem"?
2015-12-28, 16:14
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Diki wrote:
With 3.0 x I have much more treble in the sound. Or it can be some treble echo too, hard to say. I have tried to set s_mixahead, s_khz etc but it doesn't help. Anyone else have the same "problem"?

Try s_linearresample 0/1 together with s_khz 11 if you're used to the "old" sound
2015-12-28, 19:28
61 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
Diki wrote:

Try s_linearresample 0/1 together with s_khz 11 if you're used to the "old" sound

Thanks, with s_linearresample 1 I got the "old" sounds back. At least with my sound card and headphones all sounds are more sharp.
2015-12-29, 13:22
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
For those of you having ATI/AMD cards and issues with gamma not properly restoring upon alt-tabbing for instance; I've added* a f_focusgained trigger.

Try:
/alias f_focusgained "gamma 1; wait; gamma 0.5" // dirty gamma hack :-)

(replace 0.5 with the gamma value you use ofc )

*Will be available this night in nightly. MSG me on IRC if you're eager to test and I'll provide a binary for you
2015-12-29, 15:20
61 posts

Jan 2006
Diki wrote:
dimman wrote:
Diki wrote:

Thanks, with s_linearresample 1 I got the "old" sounds back. At least with my sound card and headphones all sounds are more sharp.

I played today a bit with new version and I still have some noise with the sounds... It's really hard to say/explain but feels like it tries to use surround and is not able to play all the sounds and then adding too much treble. And in a hectic map like dm4 it's all a big "blur". What has been changed?
2015-12-30, 23:32
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
New feature: /batteryinfo for you guys playing on laptops.
  106 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page