User panel stuff on forum
  83 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
General Discussion
2015-07-12, 20:09
10 posts

Jul 2015
My name is Markus Sonermo and I am the organizer of the 1999 True Gamers Invitational, aka TGi.

16 years have passed since this event where LakermaN of Sweden narrowly beat Kane of Germany in a fiercely fought final, and I am now planning an anniversary.

I should've done it in 2009 but life came in the way.

The event will be organized and funded by me personally but I hope to involve the currently active QW community in this celebration of the greatest FPS ever created.

I have already spoken to a number of the original TGi participants and characters, and they are all excited to celebrate this. They will obviously not be expected to play but to be there as honorary guests.

Why do this? The reasons are that not only Quake in my humble opinion is the greatest game ever created, but also that its creation has directly on indirectly given many of us so much more than just countless hours of entertainment.

Can we find enough talented players from enough countries to make it worth going at it one more time? Me I certainly hope so.

I would like the owners of this site, if they are interested in being a part of this, to contact me. You can either simply send me an e-mail or just post a reply here with your Skype ID and I will add you.

Thank you all and god bless John Carmack.

PS: Maybe I was extremely unclear. The idea is to (again) invite the best QW players from as many countries as possible to play a 1on1 tournament.
2015-07-13, 06:44
232 posts

Feb 2006
I don't suppose you have a mirror of the original site on Challenge Network do you? You can find pieces of it on archive.org but there's a lot missing too :<

Good luck
vb.drok-radnik.com
2015-07-13, 09:30
280 posts

Jan 2015
Izn0 wrote:
My name is Markus Sonermo and I am the organizer of the 1999 True Gamers Invitational, aka TGi.

16 years have passed since this event where LakermaN of Sweden narrowly beat Kane of Germany in a fiercely fought final, and I am now planning an anniversary.

The event will be organized and funded by me personally but I hope to involve the currently active QW community in this celebration of the greatest FPS ever created.

I have already spoken to a number of the original TGi participants and characters, and they are all excited to celebrate this. They will obviously not be expected to play but to be there as honorary guests.

Why do this? The reasons are that not only Quake in my humble opinion is the greatest game ever created, but also that its creation has directly on indirectly given many of us so much more than just countless hours of entertainment.

Can we find enough talented players from enough countries to make it worth going at it one more time? Me I certainly hope so.

I would like the owners of this site, if they are interested in being a part of this, to contact me. You can either simply send me an e-mail or just post a reply here with your Skype ID and I will add you.

PS: Maybe I was extremely unclear. The idea is to (again) invite the best QW players from as many countries as possible to play a 1on1 tournament.

F A N T A S T I C
dev
2015-07-13, 09:53
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
This is great news Izn0 and it was cool to talk to you last night. Anything I can do to help - please let me know!
2015-07-13, 10:08
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Wow, great to know you're around.
TGi has been an innovative and inspirational event. It will never be forgotten. Thank you and all the admins

http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/TGI
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-07-13, 13:47
176 posts

Mar 2012
sounds cool but i really doubt ur gonna get any of the good ppl to come back and play naing a view about avenger griffin dag milton gamer buffy koopa def mugwump rock and the list goes on ........
muti sod and loads more myself included to play in this!! but prove me wrong
2015-07-13, 13:59
88 posts

Oct 2006
Great and quite a surprise!

vb- wrote:
I don't suppose you have a mirror of the original site on Challenge Network do you? You can find pieces of it on archive.org but there's a lot missing too :<

I think I have most, or at least what was still on the server in ~2003. It was static HTML so pretty easy to re-use. If anyone has a place to put it online, let me know (PM here).
But Hoony or Izn0 should have a more complete back-up of their own work, I guess.
2015-07-13, 15:25
280 posts

Jan 2015
andrestone wrote:
Izn0 wrote:

F A N T A S T I C

Hey Izn0!

I wasn't really awake when I first saw your post.

I would like to say that this is probably the greatest news in many years for the QW community. I am really excited about that.

Also, please count on me for whatever you need to accomplish that, as i'm willing to fly to wherever it is gonna happen to watch it live and hopefully play some unofficial games there ;-)

Good luck!
dev
2015-07-13, 16:45
171 posts

Jan 2006
This is really great fun news!

Except for the message in this post - do you have any practical info at all / rough plans? Like location and date? Wouldn't want to miss this IRL for the world

PS: I have some time on my hand... feel free to contact me if you need any help at all. Have a pretty solid record of organizing stuff professional wise.
.over.and.out.ten.four.roger.that.affirmative.
2015-07-13, 16:48
142 posts

Jul 2013
What is grand prize, if its worth plane tickets and hotels COUNT ME IN
2015-07-13, 17:33
212 posts

Apr 2006
This is great news; as mentioned potentially the best news in QW for a very long time!

It's even so good that I'm tempted to ask if you are serious or whether this is a delayed April fool's day joke
2015-07-14, 02:57
18 posts

Sep 2014
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for TGI!!!
2015-07-14, 04:03
214 posts

Feb 2011
This is awesome, and I'd also love to attend!

Cheers,
BD
2015-07-14, 08:27
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
vb- wrote:
I don't suppose you have a mirror of the original site on Challenge Network do you? You can find pieces of it on archive.org but there's a lot missing too

Archive org actually has a lot, I think: http://web.archive.org/web/20000818194124/http://www.challenge-au.com/events/tgi/index.html

Great idea! I would love to see Milton, Carapace, Rikoll & Co. in a TGI anniversary event!
2015-07-14, 18:46
142 posts

Jul 2013
BLooD_DoG wrote:
This is awesome, and I'd also love to attend!

Cheers,
BD

This person is from the great United States of America, he claims to be Canadian, but he has lived in the US of A since 2005. Thank you.
2015-07-15, 06:47
232 posts

Feb 2006
erlend wrote:
Archive org actually has a lot, I think:

It was quite broken last time I checked, even if it's less so now it's no substitute for a proper mirror
vb.drok-radnik.com
2015-07-15, 11:57
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Wonderful! Good luck have fun! Will be fun to see how this develops =)
I'll pledge 50€ to make it happen! <3
I think Sectopod might be contactable through Spawn on IRC - but not 100% sure about that =)
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2015-07-15, 13:01
176 posts

Mar 2012
would be cool to get this going ! we will see how it plays out! gl hf
2015-07-16, 09:08
232 posts

Feb 2006
Jjonez wrote:
I think I have most, or at least what was still on the server in ~2003. It was static HTML so pretty easy to re-use. If anyone has a place to put it online, let me know (PM here).

MIssed this before. I'll mirror it

Quote:
But Hoony or Izn0 should have a more complete back-up of their own work, I guess.

Yeah I was hoping Iz would have one seeing as though he popped in but I'll take the best I can get in the interim
vb.drok-radnik.com
2015-07-17, 04:20
18 posts

Sep 2014
Ahh Sectopod, wasnt he like the first with the rl-jump out of mega on dm4? Eitherway nostalgic shizznitz!!!
2015-07-17, 08:16
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
aikon wrote:
Ahh Sectopod, wasnt he like the first with the rl-jump out of mega on dm4? Eitherway nostalgic shizznitz!!!

Yup, think so:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Sectopod
http://web.archive.org/web/20030520003811/http://www.challenge-au.com/events/tgi/page9.html

(Edited 2015-07-17, 08:18)
2015-07-17, 10:10
280 posts

Jan 2015
erlend wrote:
aikon wrote:

Yup, think so:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Sectopod
http://web.archive.org/web/20030520003811/http://www.challenge-au.com/events/tgi/page9.html

Heyyy wait!!! I think we had enough nostalgia on this topic.

Izn0? Where are you? My bandwidth limit is gone by reloading this page waiting for your news! :-)
dev
2015-07-17, 18:11
88 posts

Oct 2006
Here we go:
http://www.filedropper.com/tgi
password: yes

It has the photographs and a few icons that archive.org seems to be missing. Maybe some of the people involved were happy for that though...
A few banners are still lacking; these were hosted off-site.

Still, even with the images it still has a rather retro look

edit: forgot to mention: there are a few files there that had to do with how the server was working and/or a few recovery operations after crashes. They aren't needed here (new_pre_crash or something like that and there may be others).
2015-07-18, 15:02
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
This is great stuff.
2015-07-18, 21:44
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Hi, would be great with some news and info like location and date. Personally suck at 1on1 but would attend anyway.
Chosen
2015-07-19, 01:28
232 posts

Feb 2006
quakeworld.info/weedbix/tgi

Edit: Does anyone have all the demos?

Edit 2: Nevermind http://demos.igmdb.org/LeopolD/QuakeWorld/TGI/
vb.drok-radnik.com
2015-07-25, 20:51
280 posts

Jan 2015
Lets assume its going to happen.

List the players you believe that must be invited and could feasibly attend.

Here goes my list:

Bulat
Locktar
Locust
Milton
Rikoll
BLooD_DoG
Bogojoker
Sane
Mur

Im relatively new to the scene, so please make better lists.

(Edited 2015-07-25, 23:12)
dev
2015-07-25, 22:26
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
BloodDog is Canadian
2015-07-25, 23:11
280 posts

Jan 2015
dirtbox wrote:
BloodDog is Canadian

dev
2015-07-31, 09:35
55 posts

Jul 2006
Izn0 wrote:

Hey Izn0,

Long time no see.

I think I was a little bit involved with you on True Gamers in the beginning - although not the TGI.
  83 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page