User panel stuff on forum
  94 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
General Discussion
2015-08-24, 17:41
212 posts

Apr 2006
Yes to non-TB3 maps.
Brings back a lot of good memories when you see people play e3m7, e1m3 etc.!

I think the majority of the allstars also enjoyed a good game here and there on those maps but weren't into them when it got 'serious'.
2015-08-25, 22:05
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Regarding letting each team pick a non-TB3 map, I would suggest if going down this route that this choice is made in advance (like 1+ week before) so players can ensure they are familiar with it and discuss tactics etc (if they can be bothered). This would also mean spectators could learn about the maps if required (e.g. watch old demos etc) so that they can get more out of the experience.
2015-08-27, 09:29
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
erlend wrote:
I've made the QW Allstars poll result hidden until poll is completed. Dunno when, maybe let it run for a few more days?

So everyone: Go to http://poll.fm/5dqlx and vote now!

Ok, so results are here. 30 people have voted (assuming everyone who's voted have voted for Milton).

Edit: Updated list as of Thursday evening:

1. Milton
2. Carapace, Rikoll, BPS
5. Paradoks
6. Kingpin
7. Razor
8. Diki
9. MM
10. Blood Dog

(Edited 2015-08-27, 18:57)
2015-08-27, 17:06
215 posts

Feb 2011
Are you sure this is correct? If you assume 30 people voted, and I got 3% of the votes, that means I got 1 vote But I know that least 2 or 3 people voted for me !
2015-08-27, 18:54
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
BLooD_DoG wrote:
Are you sure this is correct? If you assume 30 people voted, and I got 3% of the votes, that means I got 1 vote But I know that least 2 or 3 people voted for me !

Ups, I see only percentage was shown. I have fixed now. You got 10 votes, BD, and counting, Milton now has 36.

Problem is not everyone is voting for 8 players, some just vote for 1 or 4, I don't know, I only have a free account and can't access the background data or edit the poll so you can't vote until you have selected 8 players (if this is even possible).

Also, I could assume wrong, maybe there are voters who haven't voted for Milton, but with free account only, I can't see how many IPs have been registered.
2015-08-31, 22:09
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Currently working on finding date.

Xantom and Nitram failed to come online this weekend - I'm keeping the door open for them to wake up - but as it is now we are moving forward with the lineup we have. If there are some stragglers or people that won't be able to find a free date with majority replacements could be added - i think right now Blooddog and Ake_vader are on the top of that list mainly by their skill, but also by their current activity in the community and Erlends poll.
Street Vendor Crack down Princess Cop
2015-09-01, 22:45
142 posts

Jul 2013
ocoini wrote:

Xantom and Nitram failed to come online this weekend - I'm keeping the door open for them to wake up - but as it is now we are moving forward with the lineup we have. If there are some stragglers or people that won't be able to find a free date with majority replacements could be added - i think right now Blooddog and Ake_vader are on the top of that list mainly by their skill, but also by their current activity in the community and Erlends poll.

But Ake_Vader got 2 votes, while Sane got 10? odd
2015-09-02, 14:51
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
ag|sane wrote:
ocoini wrote:

But Ake_Vader got 2 votes, while Sane got 10? odd

Players weren't initially picked by vote. There was a draft. I'll PM you on irc -
2015-09-02, 15:41
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
There's been a few votes the past few days. Current poll standings:

Top eight players, according to the poll, are the same as the chosen lineup.

Milton - 50 votes
Carapace - 43
Rikoll - 42
BPS - 42
Paradoks - 40
Kingpin - 37
Razor - 29
Diki - 21

These make the bench, as they say in football, and this is were the poll differs from the lineup:

MM - 16
Blood Dog - 14
Sane - 13
Meshuggah - 11

So the draft and the poll are almost the same, the poll replaces backups Wimpeeh and Maga with Blood Dog and Sane. So Ocoini can be more than happy with how the draft turned out, it seems to reflect the communitys view, being spot on for top eight.
2015-09-02, 17:43
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
erlend wrote:

So the draft and the poll are almost the same, the poll replaces backups Wimpeeh and Maga with Blood Dog and Sane. So Ocoini can be more than happy with how the draft turned out, it seems to reflect the communitys view, being spot on for top eight.

Super happy, Milton and Carapace did very well.
One of the things I am unable to judge is if the teams are balanced. Cara and Milton said they were satisfied (or atleast one of them did as i recall both did, but unsure now that I think about it . There havn't been any "imba team" complaints so far though..

And for the ones that did not get picked for the draft - I really can't explain it more than someone had to do some form of picking, it turned out that Carapace and Milton where the obvious choices to get the ball rolling. And as they themselves said it got VERY difficult after the first three picks were done, the field of players after that they felt were very even.

Personally I would have liked everyone to play. It just is not easy to pick the best, as you know you will eventually leave someone out that is just as deserving a spot as the guy above them. I would have loved for more.. More players... More maps... More everything. But somewhere in there we have to have a limit so we don't get overwhelmed when doing something new.

There will most likely be another All Stars next year- a post eql 20 match perhaps with the best players in eql20? Who knows...- Atleast now that we are having some experiences in how to go about things - perhaps it can be made bigger and better the second time around? Or maybe it's good that it is in fact limited in someway to make it stand out more

- I explained to Sane on IRC why I didn't mention him in my previous post, and, we don't have to go into it here - He is very much welcome to still be considered and I have forwarded the scheduling link to him on IRC - (as I'm trying to do with all the participants).

Now for my probably final post on this thread - and this is just for the players/casters:

There will be one final IRC chat this Sunday 6'th September in #qwallstars around 20:00 CET (come before 20:00)

**Make sure you have the scheduling link - i'm missing 3-4 players from the draft selected to still to fill it out + some from the general participating players - if you have no idea what i'm talking about when i say scheduling link - You are missing it***

We will be finalizing all the details of the show match and the Questions that will be brought up on the last chat are:
1. Finalize who will be playing on what team.
2: Agree on the final matchdate.
3: What maps will be played, should we include two extra maps? Also if you are doing a basic best of five, or if you want to play a full series no matter what the scoreline is.
4: If there will be any ping rules.
5: Should we try set a practice date for you guys to group up and get abit familiar with each other.
6: I need to give you ip/password to the mumble server/private channels.
Alternatively if most are against using mumble, and want to use teamspeak instead, I'll have to go looking for a teamspeak server.
8: Does the cast need/want information on each individual player - should ocoini try to gather this, or can we find someone with more experience?
7: If there is anything you want to suggest/complaints/last wishes.

(Alternatively you can answer the questions here - It will be hard to give feedback to you if you have any concerns or opinions on the forum - but it will be mentioned in the chat if you write it here.)

The final information on the tournament will be given as a newspost on quakeworld.nu - and will be also be delivered on IRC if you come talk to me in #qwallstars - if you need to talk to the head caster it's in #suddendeath - and you'll be looking for Andeh!

Righty, see you on Sunday - Good luck with the Allstars everyone!

(Edited 2015-09-03, 19:02)
2015-09-03, 17:58
212 posts

Apr 2006
I like how you are handling it. Keeping interested people updated, sharing information and setting a clear agenda for the next scheduled discussion/meeting. Thanks for your effort to make this happen!
2015-09-05, 21:49
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
andy wrote:
I like how you are handling it. Keeping interested people updated, sharing information and setting a clear agenda for the next scheduled discussion/meeting. Thanks for your effort to make this happen!

Yeah, great for the community! Can't wait to see the matches!
2015-09-06, 09:45
7 posts

Jan 2007
--
2015-09-07, 01:20
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
everything is coming togheter, we have the teams and dates finalized. I'll write a short news post by Wednesday with everything. Clear you schedule for for 20'th September 19:00 -> 21:00 cet =)
Now we just have to spread the word. I've emailed some big names, if they reply or read it i have no idea. Check out Carmacks, Thresh and twitch.tv twitters, maybe something pops up, or maybe it doesn't
I'm going to compose a general request for online mags - you guys go facebook/twitter/tumbler/imger or whatever its called plese =)
2015-09-17, 01:55
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
I know you are all cool guys, so all this isn't really necessary for me to mention but I will anyways.

It's REALLY important that you be on your best behavior and have a friendly cool atmosphere in both in-game chat and that you take the mm3 chat serious but at the same time are friendly to each other.
It's looking like, but not decided yet, we will be hosted on the twitch frontpage for the event - and with the ability for the casters to hop into your mm3 while the game is going on we DON'T want the first word for 50k+ people to hear when they hop in to be "fuxk X person sucks", or some kind of whine about whatever =)

I'm leaving it up to the captains to decide what map who will play on. A tip might be to actually have a list ready - and talk about the setup the hour or so you have before showtime so that everyone knows when they will play.

It's up to Andeh and the casters to give the OK to start a match. Perhaps he will say something about how the match will be structured before game start. if there will be breaks between each map or if he wants you to start asap or how he wants it.
You players need to be a bit like slaves when it comes to the schedule after 18:00 cet.
I'm sure Andeh will be reasonable if there are toilet breaks or burning houses etc.. just be sure to tell him!
Perhaps having the captains being the LAST to ready up would be a good way to do it, and having the captains ask if "casters ready?" and then andeh replies "ready" or similar before the captains ready up.

I would suggest alternating tb3 and cmt-
Perhaps this map order: dm3,cmt3,dm2,cmt4, e1m2 is a good way to go about it? As we start and end with something you all know veery well, and there is some history behind e1m2 decider.

Ty, GLGG manner on, lets show the best of QW!
Do NOT be late!

And for us that all ready play QW, be friendly and nice to anyone asking questions in chat. Try to answer them if you can and ignore any trolling that might happen. :p

*crosses fingers we get frontpage and that a random person watches and decides to try qw =)
Community effort people!! lets do this

(Edited 2015-09-17, 07:19)
2015-09-17, 06:48
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
ocoini wrote:
It's looking like, but not decided yet, we will be hosted on the twitch frontpage for the event

If this happens, it will be the single most exposed QW game of all time. Wow
Join us on discord.quake.world
2015-09-17, 07:44
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Yeah, we are working hard to get good exposure for this game, and I can't stress enough how important what Ocoini said actually is. If we are to broadcast the mm3 of the teams, they sort of need to be clean.

Anyways, really looking forward to this :-)
2015-09-17, 08:34
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
OT: It would be nice to get the same exposure for the EQL 20 playoffs or atleast the final.

Other than that, great work with this ocoini, andeh and everyone else.
Chosen
2015-09-17, 21:03
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Hooraytio wrote:
OT: It would be nice to get the same exposure for the EQL 20 playoffs or atleast the final.

Other than that, great work with this ocoini, andeh and everyone else.

Make it happen! I'll be around to cover it :-)
2015-09-18, 05:08
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
I don't know how the issue came to be actual regarding players flaming mm3, but I can't imagine it'll be any problem. Especially now that you made a chicken out of a feather
Join us on discord.quake.world
2015-09-18, 20:03
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
bps wrote:
I don't know how the issue came to be actual regarding players flaming mm3, but I can't imagine it'll be any problem. Especially now that you made a chicken out of a feather

s, ammo for a mail I was expecting to write. Mail is written...
2015-09-20, 16:26
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Starting in 30 min!
2015-09-20, 20:17
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Stats for the cast: avarage viewers: 184, viewers: 1020. Not bad! Great games guys and great job Darff. Hope to do this for EQL and Duelmania as well :-) good games!

Also a big thanks to Ocoini for organizing this!
2015-09-20, 21:57
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Was ggs and a great arrangement, thanks to everyone involved.

Will the Twitch VOD be Youtubed?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2015-09-20, 22:29
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Ake Vader wrote:
Was ggs and a great arrangement, thanks to everyone involved.

Will the Twitch VOD be Youtubed?

Yeah, will fix that tomorrow!
2015-09-21, 01:43
News Writer
305 posts

Feb 2008
Wow! Cool! q=p
That's like 2/3's of our total player base tuning in to the match =)
And we can even use this cast in other places! Excellent!

Milton all ready told me how damn close the games were, and that they could have gone either way! Even a Kenya want to overtime?! wtf !
Cant wait for next week to see it the cast!! =)

It was a shame that Twitch could not host us this time, it clashed with other arrangements/more high profile events on Sunday. But would seem we have a contact/supporter or two on the Twitch staff that would like us to do more stuff, we just need to make it -.- Oh, to be 14 again?

There are far to many for me to thank.. There were quite a lot of people both directly involved and others giving feedback/suggestions straight from day 1 of planning - so I'm just going to say a big thanks to the viewers!!
(And a little apology to Fro that we did not utilize his MM3 setup!)

Lets make our next event even cuter!

Feel free to give feedback here or pm !
What could we do better or what did we do good this time around?
(both in organizing part and for the actual cast

Got same thing from two people two all ready: They loved that we had mm3 from players, but one team was talking Swedish or something? Sorry, I didn't plan/think that that this would to happen =) English will be required next time*- was a Showmatch ..hint hint... after all But maybe they played better when they talked Swedish, and we would have a worse set of games if they hadn't? =)
2015-09-21, 06:32
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
It was nice matches and ok commentating.

Just next time: set everything up before so it will start on time and also read up on the players and their qw history. Was a little too much guessing from Darff and Andeh. Other than that the commentating was good.
Chosen
2015-09-21, 07:58
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Hooraytio wrote:
It was nice matches and ok commentating.

Just next time: set everything up before so it will start on time and also read up on the players and their qw history. Was a little too much guessing from Darff and Andeh. Other than that the commentating was good.

We had an unexpected issue with Darff's CFG where he would not hear nor see projectiles / explosions from anyone else on the map but the one he spectated. So basically, he couldn't see what was going on.

No matter how much you prepare, there are always going to be hiccups, big or small. We did try to prepare as well as we could and I spent like the entire Sunday making sure everything worked and doing different sound checks and so on.

Another thing I unfortunately overlooked was the QTV delay in conjunction to listening to the players' mm3. Not exactly sure how to solve this, except for being a spectator on the actual server, but that takes away a load of features that are very nice to have on the stream like item clocks, see-through water and health bars. Anyone has any idea how this could be optimized?
2015-09-21, 08:13
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Yeah I know and it wasnt a disaster either. Just a little annoying that it didnt start on time is all.

One thing that would improve the stream would be a counter that showed frag diff instead of only what team A and B scores are.
That way you dont have to do the math like you commented on when Darff tried to calculate the frag diff live.
Chosen
2015-09-21, 14:23
188 posts

Feb 2008
That was fun to watch, thx to all involved!

Only 2 little thingies: It may be time to update ezquake to a post dwarf-bug version
Don't fall for the scoreboard syndrome which pestered the early years of ql streaming (IMO it was shown a little too often/long in game). Maybe have a second client on qtv for such things?

180+ viewers, not bad at all, more then all ql streams at that time together IIRC.
  94 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page