User panel stuff on forum
  21 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2015-06-18, 11:24
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Back in 2009 I bought a Dell XPS 1340 gaming laptop which had nVidia SLI graphics and its performance was actually quite impressive. Using my current ezQuake 3.0 config that I use on my desktop I can get a solid 308fps at 1280x800 (13" screen) but unfortunately the screen is only 60hz. Otherwise it would be completely playable for QW.... and this Laptop is old!

I've been reading up on some of the current-generation gaming laptops and I've read that a number of them with 17" screens now have 120hz. The Alienware 17 apparently does as well as some of the ASUS ROG laptops. Strangely though, none of them include this information in the specs on the website. Anyone tried these? Do you know for sure they are 120hz?

The Alienware 13, 15 and 17 also has a 'graphics amplifier' option (clickhere) which allows you to connect a desktop GFX card to your Laptop and use that extra speed on your laptop monitor or connect an external monitor making your. I don't particularly wan't a 17" laptop but if the 13" has 120hz then you get a portable laptop and a gaming machine in one.

If anyone has more info pls let me know.

(Edited 2015-06-19, 09:44)
2015-06-18, 13:50
Administrator
1257 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
step:
* connect you laptop to an external 120hz monitor
done
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-06-18, 17:51
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
mushi wrote:
step:
* connect you laptop to an external 120hz monitor
done

I already have a 144hz monitor...

The point is that I want a portable QW that I can be competitive with. That means 120hz or above and 616, 770 or 1001fps.
2015-06-19, 09:28
Member
279 posts

Registered:
Jan 2015
+1
dev
2015-06-19, 15:45
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
I suspect it was only a previous version of the Alienware 17 that had 120hz.

All of the display options of the current models have IPS panels so for any real gaming (qw) they are useless. Only the 13" version has a lower resolution TN panel but even Dell cannot tell me themselves the refresh rate. I've read online both 60hz and 75hz.
2015-06-19, 16:25
Administrator
1257 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2095725/gaming-laptop-screen-refresh-rate.html

apparently no laptops with 60+hz are available
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-06-20, 01:49
Member
279 posts

Registered:
Jan 2015
dirtbox wrote:
I suspect it was only a previous version of the Alienware 17 that had 120hz.

All of the display options of the current models have IPS panels so for any real gaming (qw) they are useless. Only the 13" version has a lower resolution TN panel but even Dell cannot tell me themselves the refresh rate. I've read online both 60hz and 75hz.


17.3" (439.42 mm) 120Hz WLED FHD TrueLife w/3D Bundle (1920 x 1080)

At dell/Alienware description page.
http://www.dell.com/pt/p/alienware-17/pd
dev
2015-06-20, 16:26
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
andrestone wrote:
17.3" (439.42 mm) 120Hz WLED FHD TrueLife w/3D Bundle (1920 x 1080)

At dell/Alienware description page.
http://www.dell.com/pt/p/alienware-17/pd

That appears to be last years model... on the USA, Australia and Netherlands Dell site there is no 120hz Model.
They also list a GeForce GTX 980M where as the Portuguese one says 880M.

This is the current model one:
http://www.dell.com/pt/p/alienware-17-r2/pd?ref=PD_OC
2015-06-22, 16:10
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
To make things more of a pain... the Alienware laptops only have DisplayPort and HDMI output whilst my 144hz Monitor has Dual-DVI, HDMI and VGA.

The only matching interface is HDMI which is 60hz only.
2015-06-22, 23:01
Member
202 posts

Registered:
Dec 2006
It's possible to convert from displayport to dual link dvi, but it is an active adapter and usually consumes a usb port (for power) as well.
2015-06-23, 16:52
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
povohat wrote:
It's possible to convert from displayport to dual link dvi, but it is an active adapter and usually consumes a usb port (for power) as well.

You think an adapter like that would allow for 144hz?
2015-06-23, 22:57
Member
202 posts

Registered:
Dec 2006
I couldn't guarantee it. It will have a high enough pixel clock to run 144Hz modes but whether or not there's some arbitrary limitation on vertical refresh is a different story.
2015-07-08, 16:00
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
I found a 'laptop' with 120hz display.... Also a Xeon processor.

Eurocom Panther 5
http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,224,0)ec

It is massive. Would require a forklift in order to move it though.
2015-07-16, 13:59
Member
2 posts

Registered:
Jul 2015
Lenovo Y series are good options
2015-07-16, 23:53
Member
2 posts

Registered:
Jul 2015
Here is another I wanna recommend to you , look at the review http://pcgamerhome.com/toshiba-satellite-c55-c5240-specs-price-and-review/
2015-07-25, 11:16
Member
175 posts

Registered:
Mar 2012
HEHE MARKUSY how was the aoc monitor? how does it compare to benq and asus? or whatever what u think about it?
2015-07-25, 22:28
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
Adrenalin wrote:
HEHE MARKUSY how was the aoc monitor? how does it compare to benq and asus? or whatever what u think about it?

I read the reviews before i swapped to it and they were all really positive and i agree, it is very nice. As good as the asus, just not as good speakers but that is irrelevant
2015-07-28, 21:42
Member
40 posts

Registered:
Feb 2009
Hi,
There are some laptops, which have 120hz display, however it is still not easy to find. Some years ago I also wanted to have a gaming laptop with 120hz display, and I have purchased an ASUS ROG G53JW with 120hz display. The reason I have picked the 15' version, that the display has "only" 1366x768 resolution, so it does not need that horsepower to run games in native resolution. It was also available in 17 screen (1080p 3d), but the 460M or 560M nvidia is far not enough for full hd games. In 720p QW runs with 500fps (I use Zero's tweaked cfg tho . The laptop as itself is a nicely built machine with goof cooling. On the other hand it is heavy as fuck, and this is only the 15" version

The 120hz display is really smooth, nearly the same feeling as my LG W2363D screen, however the latency is higher. It is not disturbing during games, however I feel it, that the response time is slower. However comparing to a regular 60hz laptop display you can realize the difference, and for a qw player is quite noticeable. Some time ago I did some research in order to upgrade to a newer ROG, but ASUS stopped shipping with 120hz (3d) displays. The latest model which has 120hz is asus rog g750 (jx, jh). Nice modell tho, it could have 780M 3G vga. Alienware still has 120hz display as an extra option, however I think they overprice their products pretty much.

All in all I have positive opinion and experiences on laptop 120hz display. Even though my G53 is pretty old, I like its display. If you need only for qw, a second hand G53 or its bigger bro g74/75 could be an option too (however for native full hd the vga could be a bottleneck).
I hope it helps a little,
cheers, matyee
/say_team $R fuck yeah!
2015-07-29, 10:12
News Writer
906 posts

Registered:
Jan 2006
matyee wrote:
The 120hz display is really smooth, nearly the same feeling as my LG W2363D screen, however the latency is higher. It is not disturbing during games, however I feel it, that the response time is slower. However comparing to a regular 60hz laptop display you can realize the difference, and for a qw player is quite noticeable. Some time ago I did some research in order to upgrade to a newer ROG, but ASUS stopped shipping with 120hz (3d) displays. The latest model which has 120hz is asus rog g750 (jx, jh). Nice modell tho, it could have 780M 3G vga. Alienware still has 120hz display as an extra option, however I think they overprice their products pretty much.

Does it run at 120hz at all times? Or only when running a 3D game? The Alienware with 120hz that I found (last years 17) would only do 120hz in 3D....
2015-08-01, 12:45
Member
175 posts

Registered:
Mar 2012
katti im thinking about getting a gaming pc again for specing maybe one day il give qw another shot. If it happens i dont know never the less what would u suggest
AOC G2460PQU 144Hz orAOC G2770PQU 144hz 27" iguess thats the one u have atmm or the asus milton has 27 144hz asus??? i would take my crt but my gf doesnt allow me
so whats ur take on it buddy?

ps. if u leave europe katti an emptyness will be in my heart
no more katti specing

(Edited 2015-08-01, 14:44)
2015-08-01, 14:23
Member
175 posts

Registered:
Mar 2012
katti another thing i had the benq 144hz and it was horrible the colors were alright but it hurt my eyes even with almost no contrast etc
the huge problem i had though was it was like vid vsync was on and i had huge delay with lg could not aim properly but i only tested on 144hz like it
was huge input lag but thats strange since it was 1ms. i could not figure out why it was such delay but i didnt play around with it on for example 120 hz
i had dvi connected maybe that was the problem did not try on vga! do u think that could have been the problem? because i set all vidvsync off in
graphics drivers and in game so the monitor must have sucked etc
  21 posts on 1 page  1