User panel stuff on forum
  4 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2015-05-06, 12:37
26 posts

Apr 2012
I found an engine bug

When I build a wall in a rotated orientation (not using rotate in the editor, but I just build it rotated)
AND : when there is no ground under it :
then jumping against the wall : I don't fall down : which I should since there is no ground under it

It has something to do with the build-technique used : sloped wall & ceiling side : to put them together using one less surface/poly

tricky to explain
therefor I created a map and recorded a demo of the problem, in where I explain and show it...
In the demo you can see exactly all the elements that lead to the bug... [ you = programmer... ]

download - enginebug.zip :
on that page : click on the blue download button to download :
enginebug.zip

It includes a demo and the map used [.bsp (and the .map)]

-----------
In my maps I worked-around this engine-bug, but it cost an extra surface/poly, whatever its called
while the build-technique used is ment to cut-down on poly's... [ r_speeds ... ]
-----------

Anyway, maybe someone [programmer] can do something with it.
2015-05-06, 13:25
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
If you are to report an engine bug, it might be a good idea to provide the engine used and which version of it. Try it in FTE, if it behaves the same then there is most likely no problem or bug, just wrong usage
2015-05-06, 14:16
26 posts

Apr 2012
May I kindly ask if you watched the demo before posting reply ?

And if you did or do, is that what you see in the demo an engine bug or not ? Because that looks fairly obvious to me.

I know a little bit about ramps ands slopes [planes] and steepness of it, and groundplanes. [in the technical sense]
So I know, or I think I know, that is a engine bug.
The demo and the created map clearly show the same construction, with different orientation, and one result in 'the engine bug'

What you see in the demo is clearly a enginebug.
I do not understand exaxcly what you mean with "just wrong usage".

I mean : is what you see an engine bug, no matter what engine.

Thank you.

---
edit:
im not sure if 'engine' is the right word, In wich part takes pmove place ?
client side or server side ? or both ?
can't remember... anyway, looks like something with sliding and velocity and planes and ground surfaces and step normals and what not
can't remember... but what I see in my own demo is related to all that stuff.

MIN_STEP_NORMAL 0.7 // roughly 45 degrees

Greetings.
2015-05-06, 21:20
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
6_6_6 wrote:
May I kindly ask if you watched the demo before posting reply ?

And if you did or do, is that what you see in the demo an engine bug or not ? Because that looks fairly obvious to me.

I know a little bit about ramps ands slopes [planes] and steepness of it, and groundplanes. [in the technical sense]
So I know, or I think I know, that is a engine bug.
The demo and the created map clearly show the same construction, with different orientation, and one result in 'the engine bug'

What you see in the demo is clearly a enginebug.
I do not understand exaxcly what you mean with "just wrong usage".

I mean : is what you see an engine bug, no matter what engine.

Thank you.

---
edit:
im not sure if 'engine' is the right word, In wich part takes pmove place ?
client side or server side ? or both ?
can't remember... anyway, looks like something with sliding and velocity and planes and ground surfaces and step normals and what not
can't remember... but what I see in my own demo is related to all that stuff.

MIN_STEP_NORMAL 0.7 // roughly 45 degrees

Greetings.

Try talking to Spike (Spoike) #fte @quakenet IRC. It behaves the same in FTE so I'm fairly sure it's working as intended, but he might be able to explain it to you properly. Please post back if you get a response.
  4 posts on 1 page  1