User panel stuff on forum
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2014-10-08, 23:13
123 posts

Mar 2006
They already got Greenlit on Steam. That's quite fast I figured it take a few months at least. I didn't even know it could happen so quick. They also made a comment it'll be fairly cheap on Steam, which is good news for the players but will probably raise them a lot less money (at least short term).
2014-10-22, 20:19
123 posts

Mar 2006
Duel - entik vs gramz

Looking solid, I hope early access release on Steam is soon.
2014-11-05, 18:41
123 posts

Mar 2006
In case anyone is living under a rock -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/328070 - $10, so you better all get it!

Pretty solid for a first early release but needs a lot of small things to be more playable. Biggest issue I'd say right now is performance and netcode. You need quite a beefy machine to get enough FPS.
2014-11-05, 19:40
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
it's 10 euro, not $.
play.quake1.pl
2014-11-05, 23:07
123 posts

Mar 2006
Maybe for you. It's $10 for me! :-P
2014-11-06, 07:45
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
Played a bit and despite the vulgar netcode I can tell in future it should be one of the smoothest multiplayer fps experiences I've ever had: something about the rendering, despite the poor server snapshot frequency, enables considerably higher accuracy when estimating specific execution required for flickshots etc, resulting in a considerably more concurrently-intuitive relation with the game in comparison to any version of q3, be that in aiming or movement. It's a very early build so still a long way to go, but it's fairly fun already despite its current teething problems. The movement imo is much more accessible than in cpm; the line is much thicker between optimal and counter productive when executing strafing, bunnyhopping, weapon assisted jumps; the radius of the minimum turning circle for air control is considerably smaller; creating much more enthusiasm on my part when analysing feedback from attempts at any specific trick and allowing players to more rapidly get involved in strategy/tactics; I hope they don't change this too much in the direction of cpm as it fits the mould of what I think makes qw movement excel over any other iteration of quake: immediately accessible, easy to learn, hard to master.

Glad I bought it before the price goes up, I'm suspicious that this is going to turn out to be a great game.
2014-11-06, 08:48
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
I gave it a go yesterday. Hate WSAD and I wanted to change it. Apparently there is no easy way of doing that from GUI itself so I figured game should be closed and something in cfg files could be adjusted (or in console). After closing window, main process stayed in task manager as 'protected process' :-) Couldn't kill it and game never started again because of running instance in background hehehe. Early Alpha - I get it.
play.quake1.pl
2014-11-06, 09:10
68 posts

Jul 2013
had a very quick (10min) run around on it last night, surprised how crappy it ran on my pc (not the best pc but runs q3/cpm etc on full no problem).
does feel very much like cpm as expected but i think there is some hope there.
severe lack of GUI so all binding done in the console or in the game.cfg
2014-11-06, 09:28
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
d2 wrote:
I gave it a go yesterday. Hate WSAD and I wanted to change it. Apparently there is no easy way of doing that from GUI itself so I figured game should be closed and something in cfg files could be adjusted (or in console). After closing window, main process stayed in task manager as 'protected process' :-) Couldn't kill it and game never started again because of running instance in background hehehe. Early Alpha - I get it.

I just rebound in console.
2014-11-06, 14:01
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
sae wrote:
had a very quick (10min) run around on it last night, surprised how crappy it ran on my pc (not the best pc but runs q3/cpm etc on full no problem).
does feel very much like cpm as expected but i think there is some hope there.
severe lack of GUI so all binding done in the console or in the game.cfg

I've got a Dual-Core @ 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 770 and it is completely unplayable for me. I was actually part of the testers team but I've completely removed myself now. Any feedback and suggestions I gave were completely ignored.

Besides, you can already play CPMA now...
2014-11-06, 18:29
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I bought it and streamed it for a bit. It's adopted most of CPMA and almost nothing from QW which makes me think that you might as well play CPMA which is a way better game as of right now.
2014-11-06, 18:57
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Andeh wrote:
nothing from QW

correct
2014-11-06, 20:50
176 posts

Mar 2012
wow what a crap game nothing like qw
2014-11-07, 09:51
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Adrenalin wrote:

I pushed for QW movement. I proposed a hybrid movement type combining full aircontrol from QW and incorporating all the cool double-jump and stair-jump features of CPMA but they wouldn't even listen to the idea. The only change they made was adding a triple jump.
2014-11-07, 10:54
459 posts

Mar 2008
dirtbox wrote:
Adrenalin wrote:

I pushed for QW movement. I proposed a hybrid movement type combining full aircontrol from QW and incorporating all the cool double-jump and stair-jump features of CPMA but they wouldn't even listen to the idea. The only change they made was adding a triple jump.

Sounds awfully dissapointing. Well, well. We still got QW so it's no big deal :-)
2014-11-07, 11:18
123 posts

Mar 2006
You guys are blind if you think it's nothing like QW. I can understand how people who've spent years and many thousands of hours playing QW not liking it however. It's like waking up in someone else's body after 20 years; of course you won't like it. It is in active development, it's not set in stone yet, if you want changes go post them on the Reflex reddit or forums. Reflex feels better than QW input wise when it's running at it's best (dat 1000hz input!) but it has some major issues to work out still.

My main concern is how slow the development might be for Reflex. Since it's more of a hobbiest project it might take them months to fix up the netcode to where it should be (main issue right now). Of course if you can find servers with 20ms or less and have a super fast GPU it's probably very playable right now. All the servers I've tried have been very inconsistent but I have garbage American internet. We'll see how fast development goes, if it is too slow the player base will disappear and it'll not be worth playing anymore (same way I feel about QW in NA).
2014-11-07, 11:49
68 posts

Jul 2013
what in it is like qw, apart from movement? (which feels just like cpm)
2014-11-07, 11:50
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
pg wrote:
You guys are blind if you think it's nothing like QW. I can understand how people who've spent years and many thousands of hours playing QW not liking it however. It's like waking up in someone else's body after 20 years; of course you won't like it. It is in active development, it's not set in stone yet, if you want changes go post them on the Reflex reddit or forums. Reflex feels better than QW input wise when it's running at it's best (dat 1000hz input!) but it has some major issues to work out still.

My main concern is how slow the development might be for Reflex. Since it's more of a hobbiest project it might take them months to fix up the netcode to where it should be (main issue right now). Of course if you can find servers with 20ms or less and have a super fast GPU it's probably very playable right now. All the servers I've tried have been very inconsistent but I have garbage American internet. We'll see how fast development goes, if it is too slow the player base will disappear and it'll not be worth playing anymore (same way I feel about QW in NA).

I'm sorry but I think you're the one who's blind. I'm not sure how experienced you are in either of the games (qw, cpma, reflex), but I used to be a CPMA player who later on switched to QW. Nowadays I have a lot of experience in both games and I can confidently say that it's basically CPMA with different sound and visual effects. The movement is very close to a complete port of CPMA physics and weapons + weapon damage is the same as in CPMA. It has also ported the knockback of all weapons from CPMA (which is horrible I think), when they could have ported QW-knockbacks which would enable people to do more air gibs and pin people down with the lightning gun etc.

I'm not sure what kind of "1000hz input" you're talking about, but the mouse input in the game is completely fucked up as of right now. There are no options or commands to change input either, so finding your sensitivity may be a problem and I guess you'll have to get your ruler to measure CM/360.

I think that you may have been blinded by hope. I think you hope this game will be a new beginning to fast paced FPS gaming and thus you rate it higher than it actually is. Nothing about this game is better than neither QW nor CPMA. It's a CPMA-clone that is yet in development and as of right now, it's a bad clone.

EDIT: I just realized that it might be possible that you never played CPMA and therefore don't know that it's a clone. If that is the case, please try CPMA and you will see what I'm talking about.
2014-11-07, 11:54
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
sae wrote:
what in it is like qw, apart from movement? (which feels just like cpm)

Movement isn't even close to QW though. The only thing they have in common is that they can both navigate while airborne but a part from that - nothing.

My guess is that the main developers behind Reflex have never played Quakeworld or at least not more than once or twice. If that's the case, I guess we can't expect any changes either that could benefit our QW-needs.
2014-11-07, 12:10
68 posts

Jul 2013
its more like qw than most other fps games, in that you have air control, bunnying. feels just like cpm though, which at the moment obviously is a million times better
2014-11-07, 12:51
94 posts

Oct 2011
You want QW play QW you want CPMA play CPMA. This game is in early Alpha and not finished at all. If it turns out to be just a CPMA clone well then it will be. I just hope during the development that they add new and fun ideas.
2014-11-07, 12:52
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
sae wrote:
its more like qw than most other fps games, in that you have air control, bunnying. feels just like cpm though, which at the moment obviously is a million times better

If you're good at cpm, maybe you won't notice how much more difficult it is to move in cpm than in reflex at this point. Like I've already said, the line between good movement and counter-productivity is a lot thicker in reflex than it is in cpm. Stair jumps are easier, circle jumps are easier, you can pull much tighter angles when employing air control and not get punished for it.

Overall I would like it to be even more like QW than it already is, I agree on that, and is it more like cpma than it is QW? Certainly, but people claiming that it is a direct copy of cpm with upgraded gfx etc are clearly exaggerating.
2014-11-07, 14:04
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
pg wrote:
Reflex feels better than QW input wise when it's running at it's best (dat 1000hz input!) but it has some major issues to work out still.

My experience is the opposite. I have silky smooth 1000hz raw input in QW and an unsmooth delayed input feeling in Reflex.

Andeh wrote:
My guess is that the main developers behind Reflex have never played Quakeworld or at least not more than once or twice. If that's the case, I guess we can't expect any changes either that could benefit our QW-needs.

One of the 3 dev's is a former QW player. I used to LAN with him back in the day. He posts on these forums sometimes under 'Electro'

praxismo wrote:
Overall I would like it to be even more like QW than it already is, I agree on that, and is it more like cpma than it is QW? Certainly, but people claiming that it is a direct copy of cpm with upgraded gfx etc are clearly exaggerating.

In my opinion it is 100% CPMA movement. From the stair tricks, to the tele jumps to the fact you don't gain speed when moving in a straight line unless you hold forward. All of these things are CPMA specific (and also exist in Reflex) and are not in QW. Actually to master the Reflex moves I installed CPMA so I could practice them in a smooth engine and once mastered I could then do the same moves in Reflex.
2014-11-07, 15:12
68 posts

Jul 2013
it must mean im good at cpm then (i wouldnt say so, but i can complete the trick jump maps) as it feels identical, apart from as you say you dont get punished for turning corners sharper
2014-11-07, 15:56
142 posts

Jul 2013
Personally I just bought the game, and can't open it, but it is very exciting to know I have reflex on my harddrive ready to crack open. I am sponsored by Windows XP, so it is not compatible with Reflex at the time but I am gonna wait it out and use CRC-32's to compile information and try FREEBSD see if that helps.
2014-11-07, 20:33
123 posts

Mar 2006
Andeh wrote:
I'm sorry but I think you're the one who's blind. I'm not sure how experienced you are in either of the games (qw, cpma, reflex), but I used to be a CPMA player who later on switched to QW.

You need to look at the big picture here, CPMA is essentially QW and vice versa. They are as close as arena FPS games get without being exactly the same. The mechanics and various systems in them are very similar. It's like how people love their mother's cooking even if it's not that good just because they are used to it from all those years. This is like original CS players complaining about CS:GO, you don't even know how silly you sound because your perspective is so warped.

I have won NA leagues in Doom 2, QW but never CPMA (which I didn't play much because I played QW instead). I think QW TDM is way better than CPMA TDM and I'll be writing some posts on why that's so soon. I think the Reflex devs are reasonable people so I will explain to them why QW TDM is great. Being from Australia I'm not sure how much experience with QW TDM they have.

Andeh wrote:
I think that you may have been blinded by hope. I think you hope this game will be a new beginning to fast paced FPS gaming and thus you rate it higher than it actually is. Nothing about this game is better than neither QW nor CPMA. It's a CPMA-clone that is yet in development and as of right now, it's a bad clone.

I'm not blinded by hope but perhaps blinded by potential. I know you're a European player and right now the QW scene in Europe is still bigger with more potential than it has been in NA for 10 years! If another Salvation draft league happened in Europe you guys might get 100+ players! The last time time any NA QW TDM league got player numbers like that was probably over 10 years ago! Think about that for a moment. I'm fucking sick of playing in tiny little communities. Would I prefer to play QW than Reflex? Fuck yes, but change is the only way forward at this point.

Reflex has better things than both QW and CPMA already. First off it's on Steam which is the dominant game service with amazing reach. Two it's got very modern graphics in a new engine. Three it has a built in map editor that's like a mix of Minecraft and a real map editor that you can do live in game. Four it's actually still being worked on by passionate enthusiastic developers. I think those are some major positives but we'll have to see what ends up happening. If the performance and netcode issues aren't fixed soonish it'll probably be in trouble.

Andeh wrote:
EDIT: I just realized that it might be possible that you never played CPMA and therefore don't know that it's a clone. If that is the case, please try CPMA and you will see what I'm talking about.

I've been registered on the QW.nu forum longer than you! Make of that what you will. ;-)
2014-11-07, 21:09
142 posts

Jul 2013
pg wrote:
I have won NA leagues in Doom 2, QW but never CPMA (which I didn't play much because I played QW instead). I think QW TDM is way better than CPMA TDM and I'll be writing some posts on why that's so soon. I think the Reflex devs are reasonable people so I will explain to them why QW TDM is great. Being from Australia I'm not sure how much experience with QW TDM they have.

As a conversation piece, please DO tell which NA leagues you have won lmao
1st place Forum Typing Invitational?
2014-11-07, 21:44
48 posts

Jan 2010
^^
2014-11-07, 22:05
88 posts

Oct 2006
ag|sane wrote:

LO(very)L. Really.
Couldn't help it pg.
2014-11-07, 23:43
226 posts

Jun 2006
ag|sane wrote:
pg wrote:

As a conversation piece, please DO tell which NA leagues you have won lmao

pg stands for pro gamer.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page