User panel stuff on forum
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2014-09-23, 22:46
3 posts

Dec 2011
Andeh wrote:
While I agree that all those features are great, I wish they would adopt the gameplay from QW instead of from CPMA. I started out in CPMA and later moved to quakeworld. First thing they could do is remove the railgun and make maps quite small ;-)

Hey Andeh, the rockets right now feel way more like QW than CPM
2014-09-24, 01:42
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
xerosawyer wrote:
Andeh wrote:
While I agree that all those features are great, I wish they would adopt the gameplay from QW instead of from CPMA. I started out in CPMA and later moved to quakeworld. First thing they could do is remove the railgun and make maps quite small ;-)

Hey Andeh, the rockets right now feel way more like QW than CPM

A step in the right direction then ^^
2014-09-24, 09:01
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
pg wrote:
The KS is being handled so badly it's a complete turn off. It makes me doubt they can pull off what they list as features because they can't even run a decent KS campaign. I also know now they think they need $360k to make a good game, so Steam Greenlight won't bring in enough. I doubt they can get away with asking $80 for prototype access on Steam.

I'm disappointed...

Yeah, their forte definitely isn't kickstarter... but good thing making games is more their forte.
2014-09-24, 09:09
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
QW players should also be familiar with Ben Darling from Reflex's previous work. He is the creator of the Pro-X CA mod for QW.
2014-09-24, 09:16
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
guys, is there any download link available to see 'reflex' in action?
play.quake1.pl
2014-09-24, 10:04
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
d2 wrote:
guys, is there any download link available to see 'reflex' in action?

There is movies around on youtube etc but you can't play it yet. There is an early bird kickstarter option that gets you access to the unfinished game in just a couple of months.
2014-09-24, 10:22
Administrator
114 posts

Sep 2013
Thanks dirtbox, that's what I thought. Well I saw yt movies but just wanted to 'feel' this game on my own. Given that some other ppl had a chance to test it (there are twitch presentations) I figured that maybe pre-alpha-0.0001 is available for wider audience.
play.quake1.pl
2014-09-24, 11:12
164 posts

Apr 2007
If it was pure qw movement/aircontroll this could really be something
2014-09-24, 13:40
226 posts

Jun 2006
dirtbox wrote:
pg wrote:
The KS is being handled so badly it's a complete turn off. It makes me doubt they can pull off what they list as features because they can't even run a decent KS campaign. I also know now they think they need $360k to make a good game, so Steam Greenlight won't bring in enough. I doubt they can get away with asking $80 for prototype access on Steam.

I'm disappointed...

Yeah, their forte definitely isn't kickstarter... but good thing making games is more their forte.

well they said they need money to make games so I guess making games really isn't their forte.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2014-09-24, 14:46
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
d2 wrote:
Thanks dirtbox, that's what I thought. Well I saw yt movies but just wanted to 'feel' this game on my own. Given that some other ppl had a chance to test it (there are twitch presentations) I figured that maybe pre-alpha-0.0001 is available for wider audience.

There is a pre-alpha out there. I have it. Isn't available for a wider audience though.

LocKtar wrote:
If it was pure qw movement/aircontroll this could really be something

It is closer to CPMA than QW.

fenris wrote:
well they said they need money to make games so I guess making games really isn't their forte.

How do you figure that means it isn't their forte? I don't see any game studios out there with a budget of $0 producing blockbuster games. I read that titanfall had a budget of over $100 million. They have been completely self-funded up until now. Working full-time in the games industry and building reflex in their spare time. They wish to quit their jobs and work on it full time and this kickstarter is what it is going to take.
2014-09-24, 19:14
123 posts

Mar 2006
Well unless a bunch of famous people really start promoting Reflex as a personal cause the game is probably doomed to fail KS at this point. I'm not sure what their plan is if it makes EA on Steam but it should slow down development significantly. Which sucks.

Quote:
Currently we have triple jumps in -- chaining an extra jump within the regular double jump window will give you can even higher boost.

That sounds dumb honestly. Double jumps are already over used in CPM now we have a triple jump? Why not just let people fly at this point? I guess the idea is to never need to RJ as you can get free double/triple jumps to absurd heights?
2014-09-25, 06:50
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
pg wrote:
Well unless a bunch of famous people really start promoting Reflex as a personal cause the game is probably doomed to fail KS at this point. I'm not sure what their plan is if it makes EA on Steam but it should slow down development significantly. Which sucks.

Quote:
Currently we have triple jumps in -- chaining an extra jump within the regular double jump window will give you can even higher boost.

That sounds dumb honestly. Double jumps are already over used in CPM now we have a triple jump? Why not just let people fly at this point? I guess the idea is to never need to RJ as you can get free double/triple jumps to absurd heights?

Chill dude, it's pre-alpha. If it makes KS then you'll get in at every stage of development and you and the rest of the community will get to have their say on any aspect of the game.
2014-09-28, 00:37
123 posts

Mar 2006
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191095869/reflex/posts/997473

Very solid update with a surprise! Now let's hope they can keep updating like this...
2014-09-28, 07:44
1 post

Aug 2007
Saw voo (the old cpma gamer) stream some on twitch earlier: Some FFA action - looks promising
2014-09-28, 19:37
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
pg wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191095869/reflex/posts/997473

Very solid update with a surprise! Now let's hope they can keep updating like this...

It does look good.
2014-09-28, 22:34
123 posts

Mar 2006
FFA action looks fun. The streams are nice and all but they aren't that good publicity. They really need to record some gameplay for Youtube and link it on the KS. Stuff like a few minutes of 1v1, 2v2, FFA, etc would be great.
2014-09-28, 23:29
12 posts

Dec 2006
I also have early prototype access. So far, I have to say the game has a ton of promise.

I've never made a serious map in QW in my life, despite having access to various map editors throughout the years. Just last night I decided to mess around with the Reflex map editor, and in less than 3 hours I had a solid 1on1 map. After some playtests by some Swedes with the prototype, I made a few more changes and am thoroughly enjoying watching the map.

It's just amazing how quickly you can go "Hrm, I wonder what that would be like. Oh, cool. I like that." or "That doesn't work." Ctrl-z a few times and it's all fine.

Physics-wise, I know it isn't exactly what QW players want, but I think the more important part is the community support. Built in rankings, ladders, tutorials to properly teach new players, a built in IRC client, the plans they have talked about for getting new maps into the mix... it just goes on. They know why our favored genre has failed, and they intend on making something that succeeds. I can't imagine any other Arena FPS pulling it off - our genre is dead and gone if Reflex can't save it.

I know it's been said... but: pledge some money if you can.
2014-09-28, 23:31
226 posts

Jun 2006
KovaaK wrote:
I also have early prototype access. So far, I have to say the game has a ton of promise.

I've never made a serious map in QW in my life, despite having access to various map editors throughout the years. Just last night I decided to mess around with the Reflex map editor, and in less than 3 hours I had a solid 1on1 map. After some playtests by some Swedes with the prototype, I made a few more changes and am thoroughly enjoying watching the map.

It's just amazing how quickly you can go "Hrm, I wonder what that would be like. Oh, cool. I like that." or "That doesn't work." Ctrl-z a few times and it's all fine.

Physics-wise, I know it isn't exactly what QW players want, but I think the more important part is the community support. Built in rankings, ladders, tutorials to properly teach new players, a built in IRC client, the plans they have talked about for getting new maps into the mix... it just goes on. They know why our favored genre has failed, and they intend on making something that succeeds. I can't imagine any other Arena FPS pulling it off - our genre is dead and gone if Reflex can't save it.

I know it's been said... but: pledge some money if you can.

Ya from what I've seen so far Reflex is a great map editor. I'll be the judge of your solid 1on1 map though.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2014-09-29, 05:59
123 posts

Mar 2006
I think my favorite thing about Reflex right now is that the SG does 140 damage! I hope it stays high damage since it has spread unlike rail. It's only very effective at super close range and near useless long range.
2014-10-02, 00:39
12 posts

Dec 2006
For what it's worth, here's a video of Empish and Snapcase dueling on my map earlier today.

The game looks like it has potential to me .
2014-10-02, 07:49
68 posts

Jul 2013
it does look painfully like cpm to me, but i am a cpm fan so i am definately hoping this game happens (without a railgun)
2014-10-02, 22:01
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
clawunf wrote:
sae wrote:
it does look painfully like cpm to me, but i am a cpm fan so i am definately hoping this game happens (without a railgun)

There is a movement video which bunnyhopping is like the QW movement.

The movement is really really close to CPMA plus they added a triple jump. Sorry Sae, there is a railgun.
2014-10-03, 00:11
123 posts

Mar 2006
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191095869/reflex/posts/1001738 - map editor update

Cool video and useful tutorial but meh for PR. If they had made a short 5 minute clip of shenanigans of people multiplayer editing it would have been much better for linking around reddit/forums. I still can't believe they haven't done an update talking about weapons, armor, and items yet. Maybe some big angel investor will save the KS.

If they switch over to Greenlight they can use a model similar to what Elite Dangerous is doing. Charge an arm and a leg for super early access but be honest about it and set out prices in advance. That way people who can afford to support it heavily still can but it won't be a situation where you're pissed off because you went in early for $100 and two weeks later there's a Steam sale and it's $5 (things like this have happened on Steam). The problem with this is I don't know how fast it can get Greenlit. There's no real guarantee it'll ever get Greenlit though seeing Project Nex got Greenlit recently I suspect Reflex will too in the next few months.
2014-10-03, 07:18
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Even an investor wouldn't save the kickstarter as the most someone can pledge is $3000. They'de need 100 people doing that. An investment outside of Kickstarter also wouldn't help the kickstarter.
2014-10-03, 07:49
News Writer
105 posts

Sep 2014
dirtbox wrote:
Even an investor wouldn't save the kickstarter as the most someone can pledge is $3000. They'de need 100 people doing that. An investment outside of Kickstarter also wouldn't help the kickstarter.

This is incorrect; there is no upper limit to how much one can pledge; in fact: one person has already pledged 9,000 aud.
2014-10-03, 15:58
123 posts

Mar 2006
The main thing I'm wondering about now is will Reflex actually have a player base if it does get built? CPMA was never as popular as QW but it also didn't have Steam's super large user base to draw on. Seeing how few backers Reflex is getting makes me wonder if it's worth doing. The reason I no longer play games like QW is because it has so few players left. I don't want to put up with organizing a small scene anymore. It's a lot of work and the pay off is very iffy. In a small scene it's so frustrating that one problem player can basically torpedo everything.

I think a good example is Loadout (I know Kovaak played this some too). Loadout was a 3PV arena shooter (felt like a FPS) and had a huge popularity surge on Steam for about two weeks (20k-30k concurrent users). Of course the devs were horribly incompetent and dead slow so that killed it off with lack of meaningful updates but it had a chance at being healthy long term. At it's core Loadout was a fairly hardcore arena shooter so it's surprising the numbers it managed. In comparison if you look at QL on Steam it's already dwindling into obscurity. Now I think Reflex is a much better game than QL with new changes and better features and such. Yet 95% of the people I talk to say, "Reflex is a Q3 clone", so it seems like it'll have an even worse showing than QL. I think the only way Reflex has a chance is if it can break the perception that it's a Q3 clone.
2014-10-04, 16:40
12 posts

Dec 2006
pg wrote:
Yet 95% of the people I talk to say, "Reflex is a Q3 clone", so it seems like it'll have an even worse showing than QL. I think the only way Reflex has a chance is if it can break the perception that it's a Q3 clone.

I agree with you 100%, pg. To outsiders, one shooter that doesn't fall into the realism category is the same as the next - Unreal is a Quake clone to them. As insiders, we know how far from the truth that really is. Design decisions related to movement and items make a serious difference in how deep the gameplay can be, and most arena-style FPSs are quite shallow.

It reminds me of what happens when I tell people that I listen to melodic death metal...
2014-10-04, 19:36
123 posts

Mar 2006
I almost think the only way to break the perception is doing art in certain styles. I'm not a MOBA player by any means but if you look at games like League or DOTA2, etc you'd figure with such silly fantasy art they wouldn't contain such deep gameplay. It's like a trojan horse you have to break perceptions to have a chance. Loadout had silly art but it was fairly different look than most other arena FPS, so people gave it a chance. I think if Loadout had looked like Q3 it would have never achieved such high numbers. Unfortunately Reflex's art screams "I'm a Quake 3 clone!".
2014-10-08, 12:15
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
FYI: Pulling the plug on Kickstarter (but not Reflex)

No more kickstarter but they aren't going to stop dev
2014-10-08, 12:46
68 posts

Jul 2013
was obvious after a few days they were not going to get the $ needed, but glad the project isn't dead
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page