User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2014-09-09, 09:08
14 posts

Sep 2014
I have been installing Q2 and Q3 again on my pc without hitch, also found all the patches online without too much effort.

However, it is hard to find players.
So eventually i found QW and installed it.
I must admit it works fine, but i do notice it is a compromise compared to the real thing.

Why do people use QW as opposed to the real thing? It is not like Q was hard to work with or anything.

Is it because of legality?

Maybe i just have trouble letting go of nostalgia, but i truly would choose the real quake over QW anytime.
The graphics are different, the way it feels is different as well.

If this is the way forward, i will accept it, but i truly was looking for some answers.

I have succesfully found one working real Q2 lithium server that i can play on, but that was the only one so far.
But it beats a QW session by far when it comes to gameplay.
2014-09-09, 10:21
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
The Quake you talk about isn't fundamentally different from QuakeWorld, except that QuakeWorld is meant to be played over network, something original Quake isn't. Theres' still "networked Quake", NetQuake, and clients for that. Todays quakeworld isn't much different from the original, except that maxfps has changed from 72 to 77, meaning that it's a bit faster.
2014-09-09, 10:32
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
fastbikkel wrote:
It is not like Q was hard to work with or anything.

It's been many years since I tried Real Quake, but that statement is just very wrong. I could be wrong here, but as I remember it RQ didn't even have console autocompletion amongst trillion other neat things. QW client development is eons ahead of RQ with its feature-richness.

So, what is better in RQ?

I can only come up with "single player". And that's really what's separates them. I'd never start EzQuake and play single player. Then I'd go with Darkplaces. Multiplayer? EzQuake or Fodquake.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2014-09-09, 10:45
14 posts

Sep 2014
Thanks for the replies.

I just logged in again on a MP server with quakeworld, but i also noticed some things that do not work. Like changin weapons with mousewheel. I did set that up in the settings, but it fails to work.

I am going to try this QW some more, but so far it just looks and feels different from the original one.

When running around in the last QW server i joined, i cannot deny it is very different.

It is just that i cannot find a lot of players on the real quake, forcing me this way, but i honestly do not prefer it.

EDIT :
I also noticed the players are all red. Is that a bug? Or is that completely normal?
2014-09-09, 11:37
14 posts

Sep 2014
bps wrote:
fastbikkel wrote:
It is not like Q was hard to work with or anything.

It's been many years since I tried Real Quake, but that statement is just very wrong. I could be wrong here, but as I remember it RQ didn't even have console autocompletion amongst trillion other neat things. QW client development is eons ahead of RQ with its feature-richness.

So, what is better in RQ?

I can only come up with "single player". And that's really what's separates them. I'd never start EzQuake and play single player. Then I'd go with Darkplaces. Multiplayer? EzQuake or Fodquake.

Fair enough. I did not consider those things an issue at least.

Sure i admit that Q2 was better than Q1 on a lot of fronts, Q1 was still very manageble.
2014-09-09, 13:21
286 posts

Sep 2012
There are almost no players on any of the quakes original multiplayer.
Wether it is Q1,2,3 or 4, 90% of the players use competitive mods that add tons of stuff needed when you want to play a bit more seriously.
You'd think Id would have added that kind of things after a few games, but no, even q4 needs q4max to be played competitively.
So for q1 it's quakeworld, I dont know q2, cpma for q3, and q4max for q4.
2014-09-10, 07:46
14 posts

Sep 2014
I stand corrected, you guys are right about the Q1 issues back then. I was wrong indeed.

I had messed up my findings in my head somehow.

When I first discovered a QW client aa couple of days ago, it was the FTE QW client. That client also offers Q2 and Q3 arena (I have not discovered how, but it does mention these games)

I had somehow assumed wrongly that the QW clients all had Q1 and Q2 in them. My experience with online Q2 however was good, Q2 back in the day worked fine with online MP servers.

But yes, when I think about Q1, it was different for sure. I do however remember playing against other people, but i clearly forgot how.
The most i played Q2 right after that.

Quake world seems like a very decent alternative for Q1. Am i right to assume it is only for Q1? Or is Q2 also incorporated into QW?

I still prefer Q2 over Q1, but if the people play Q1 more, i will follow the masses. Would love to do some CTF again, if that is possible.
2014-09-10, 08:12
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
fastbikkel wrote:
Quake world seems like a very decent alternative for Q1. Am i right to assume it is only for Q1? Or is Q2 also incorporated into QW?

I still prefer Q2 over Q1, but if the people play Q1 more, i will follow the masses. Would love to do some CTF again, if that is possible.

Quakeworld is completely separate to Q2. It is only the FTEQW client which gives you Q2 and Q3 support. QW is simply the internet multiplayer version of Q1 (they use the same data files, but just different .exe file (you need Q1 to play QW).

Q1 was made completely obsolete for multiplayer when QW was released. There is still a large amount of us that play QW however very few players play Q1.
2014-09-10, 09:00
1100 posts

Jan 2006
clawunf wrote:
(...) when people now mention Quake1 they refer to Quakeworld.....

You live in a filter bubble (or are trolling). If by "people" you mean people in the QW community, then duh, yes, maybe. But if not, that statement is totally false.
2014-09-13, 09:52
232 posts

Feb 2006
I doubt he was trolling, people from other games generally consider QW to be Q1 because everyone plays multiplayer games now and when they see Q1 they usually see multiplayer and being MP it's bound to be QW
vb.drok-radnik.com
  10 posts on 1 page  1