User panel stuff on forum
  203 posts on 7 pages  First page1234567Last page
Client Talk
2015-10-16, 05:49
214 posts

Feb 2011
dimman wrote:
I think you can simplify your building for Windows on Windows guide a bit now BD

But I spent so much time getting it to work and writing it down! jk, nice to see development pick up again, will update my initial post at some point.
2015-10-19, 13:01
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Regarding my problems with 24 bit textures not loading in ezQuake 3.0 earlier it seems to be due to the fact my QW install was using jpg textures (probably from a 2-3 years old nQuake installer) and when replacing those with tga textures (which you can get from nQuake installer today for example) it works.

It should work with jpegs in the latest build Feel free to report back if you have any issues
2015-10-21, 23:05
245 posts

Jan 2006
Feature request #1: make proxies in server-browser selectable to assign Cvar cl_proxyaddr a value so using proxies goes faster!
Feature request #2: please make it work to start client on monitor 2 in twinview/nivida (with xinerama disabled)
2015-11-02, 22:03
22 posts

Oct 2015
I get lagged sound on ezquake 3.0. I use the same config in 2.2, and have no problems there. Any thoughts?
2015-11-02, 22:41
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
nigve wrote:
I get lagged sound on ezquake 3.0. I use the same config in 2.2, and have no problems there. Any thoughts?

Please explain a bit more. Lagged as in you get delayed sound (latency?)? The sound driver stuff is handled by SDL2, might have to take a second look at it because you're not the first to complain. The more info you can give me about whats wrong the better.
2015-11-03, 08:42
202 posts

Dec 2006
I found that using s_khz 11 or 22 resulted in a significant delay. They also sound quite terrible compared to the same values in qwcl or ezquake 2. I don't know why it's so broken, but record the output of your game look at the playback through a spectrum analyser. There are frequencies present above the nyquist frequency which should not happen if things are working correctly.

Using 44 or 48 is much better in terms of delay, but you will also need s_linearresample 1 to get it sounding like 11050Hz. There are however a few original sounds that are 22kHz files, which will now actually sound like 22kHz sample rate. I personally ended up resampling the LG firing sounds down to 11kHz with an external editor to get them sounding faithful.

edit: I will mention that my audio playback device only supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz, so some of these issues may be on my end only, however the pre SDL versions worked fine.
2015-11-03, 08:52
459 posts

Mar 2008
nigve wrote:

As povo said, /s_khz makes a difference. With /s_khz 48 I can use /s_mixahead as low as 0.025 without getting laggy or choppy sounds. On /s_khz 44 I must increase /s_mixahead to 0.03, and on /s_khz 11 or 22 I must increase it by quite an significant amount. Tried testing different settings here?

For those who don't know, as low /s_mixahead as possible is preferable to be able to hear sounds as quickly as possible.
2015-11-03, 15:35
22 posts

Oct 2015
Dimman: when first testing 3.0 i experienced a percieved extra 100 ms ping to my usual 12 ms, due to rocketfire sounding 100 ms delayed. I quickly realised that it was only the sound that was delayed (about 100 ms).

I have been testing s_khz, s_mixahead and s_linearresample.

It seems my config was not optimal or outdated. I have always used s_mixahead 0.1 and s_khz 11. I always preferred s_khz 11 to save my ears from hours of high frequencies qw sounds.

I have tested s_khz 48 and s_mixahead lower than 0.1 in both ezquake 2.2 and 3.0

I do hear qw sounds more instant the lower mixahead value i set, as you would expect.

For some reason the soundlag just became more obvious in ezquake 3.0 than 2.2.

However - I can set s_mixahead as low as 0.025 in 3.0 with s_khz 48, but not faultless. I do get some cracking sounds best described as vinyl/turntable sounds. I havent finished testing yet, but it seems these cracking noises perish when i set s_mixahead to 0.05 or higher.

Dimman: Is there some optimal sound setting for ezquake you could recommend in general?

And - is s_linearresample recommended for competivite play, or will it alter the sound in any non-optimal way? In other words, should i get used to s_khz 48 and its sharp sound from now on?
2015-11-03, 15:53
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Rikoll wrote:
nigve wrote:

As povo said, /s_khz makes a difference. With /s_khz 48 I can use /s_mixahead as low as 0.025 without getting laggy or choppy sounds. On /s_khz 44 I must increase /s_mixahead to 0.03, and on /s_khz 11 or 22 I must increase it by quite an significant amount. Tried testing different settings here?

For those who don't know, as low /s_mixahead as possible is preferable to be able to hear sounds as quickly as possible.

So what settings do you people usually use? What settings do you use that cause you to notice changes when going from ezq2.x to ezq3?

I have a theory...
2015-11-03, 15:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
nigve wrote:
Dimman: Is there some optimal sound setting for ezquake you could recommend in general?

And - is s_linearresample recommended for competivite play, or will it alter the sound in any non-optimal way? In other words, should i get used to s_khz 48 and its sharp sound from now on?

Not yet. I will try to some changes first. When you mention it I actually remember to have thought that the rockets feel a bit lagged despite having the same ping as compared to before, not this "instant sound" as with previous versions.

I'm no expert on audio unfortunately so I can't give a good answer for the linearresample before I've investigated this more
2015-11-03, 20:06
22 posts

Oct 2015
Come to think of it, my fps is not that good on this system. My sound problems when using low s_mixahead might be caused by old win xp and only about 3-400 stable fps.

I can use s_mixahead 0.04 on s_khz 11 in ezquake 2.2. Quite happy with this for now. When i get a new pc (probably around the time of ezquake 3.0 stable?), I will try lower s_mixahead.
2015-11-04, 12:45
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
nigve wrote:
Come to think of it, my fps is not that good on this system. My sound problems when using low s_mixahead might be caused by old win xp and only about 3-400 stable fps.

I can use s_mixahead 0.04 on s_khz 11 in ezquake 2.2. Quite happy with this for now. When i get a new pc (probably around the time of ezquake 3.0 stable?), I will try lower s_mixahead.

Try latest nightly for a quick fix and see if that helps.

Getting some help from Spike, hopefully we can get rid of mixahead completely and always have about zero latency for sound but it's a bit more work

(Edited 2015-11-04, 12:47)
2015-11-04, 22:04
22 posts

Oct 2015
That sounds like a plan, no pun intended. In general its very good news that youve picked up ezquake development.

I have a request: how about at least one more decimal on gameclock?
2015-11-05, 19:30
48 posts

Jan 2010
Hi,
latest nightly build fixed all sound issues for me, no weird "echo", delay etc on 11KHZ, great stuff!
2015-11-05, 23:07
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
er wrote:
Hi,
latest nightly build fixed all sound issues for me, no weird "echo", delay etc on 11KHZ, great stuff!

I got this echo too, setting s_khz from 11 til 44 fixed it. I didn't know about the sound delay command thing. Gonna test the latest nightly when I can.
2015-11-07, 14:18
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
any chance of software renderer binary also?
2015-11-07, 17:42
38 posts

Jan 2014
dirtbox wrote:

Seconded.
2015-11-08, 19:47
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
sned wrote:
dirtbox wrote:

Seconded.

Nope, software renderer has been scrapped a long time ago so it wont happen unfortunately.
2015-11-10, 05:43
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
What is the last ever made SW version and where can I get it?
2015-11-11, 23:03
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
dimman wrote:
Try latest nightly for a quick fix and see if that helps.

Getting some help from Spike, hopefully we can get rid of mixahead completely and always have about zero latency for sound but it's a bit more work

Just tested the latest nightly:

1) s_khz 11 doesn't give echo anymore. Yay. Must've been something in the code in an earlier version.

2) I can get s_mixahead as low as 0.024, regardless of s_khz being 11 or 44. (Why have I been playing with 0.05?)

3) Nigve is right: s_khz 11 sounds a lot easier on the ears than 44, the latter has so much more high frequent noices, 11 sounds deeper / more bass / whatever. However, with s_linearsample 1, s_khz 44 sounds a lot better (ie. deeper.). So the options are:
s_khz 11 and s_linearsample 0 (and s_mixahead 0.024)
s_khz 44 and s_linearsample 1 (and s_mixahead 0.024)
Is one better than the other? What does s_linearsample do, anyway?

4) Off topic: What is a decent value for "rate" nowadays? I remember that from the modem days. Think mine is set to 30000 atm.
2015-11-29, 21:24
223 posts

Aug 2011
Feature request: Make qtv-users/observers unable to see messagemode2 (say_team) in prewar. It doesn´t concern anyone what a team is discussing between games. If they wanted to make it public, they´d use mm1 (say).
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2015-11-29, 23:33
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
cara wrote:
Feature request: Make qtv-users/observers unable to see messagemode2 (say_team) in prewar. It doesn´t concern anyone what a team is discussing between games. If they wanted to make it public, they´d use mm1 (say).

+1
2015-11-30, 02:28
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Has anyone noticed that the new vid_width and vid_height commands aren't working in the nightly's?
2015-11-30, 10:04
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
dirtbox wrote:
Has anyone noticed that the new vid_width and vid_height commands aren't working in the nightly's?

If that for setting the size of windowed mode? It should be vid_win_width / vid_win_height now, so you can have different windowed/fullscreen settings.
If it's for fullscreen, try setting vid_usedesktopres 0 - if that's set, other cvars are ignored.
2015-11-30, 12:42
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
cara wrote:

From KTX: "// do not put private info in demos: private is team say from player without $\ symbol" - it looks like KTX currently hides teamplay messages that look like they've been directly entered into messagemode2/say_team, and only broadcast those that have carriage returns in them (to replace the "(meag): " part). But if you have cl_fakename set in ezquake, the client inserts the carriage return itself, KTX thinks all messages are teambinds, and broadcasts everything to mvd/qtv.

So we could either change ezQuake to ignore cl_fakename if server is in standby/countdown mode, or change KTX so that the filtering is done at the server side - this seems more reliable.

We could also change KTX so that all mm2 was included during the game, regardless of carriage returns? Might get more swearing at teammates in demos, but it seems odd that if a player has an old script, their messages are hidden.
2015-12-23, 14:26
245 posts

Jan 2006
ezquake gets signal 11 and crashes when slide4 is loaded.
2016-01-06, 02:48
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
leopold wrote:
However, to get working gamma/contrast I had to revert to XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp and friends which kind of defeats the purpose of SDL2.
That is because X11 and SDL are awesome -
or maybe not.
https://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=971

Seems like they are in the works of solving it. In the mean time I reimplemented the old X11 native calls to handle gamma so you should have it working again, feel free to test. When reading Quakespasm homepage they mention export SDL_VIDEO_X11_NODIRECTCOLOR=1 and then run your binary as workaround.

Newer Quakespasm uses GLSL for gamma instead. IIRC they use a post-processing shader which cost way too much performance IMO so it didn't happen, not that way atleast. We need a OpenGL developer..
2016-01-06, 22:37
188 posts

Feb 2008
Nice, will check! That env var worked in quakespasm but not for ioquake3 iirc, never found out why. Actually I think I tried it with ezq when it went SDL, will check that again.
2016-01-07, 10:04
7 posts

Jan 2016
can 3.0 be built for linux too? are there available source downloads and maybe some documentation how-to ?
2016-01-07, 12:04
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
maxis wrote:
can 3.0 be built for linux too? are there available source downloads and maybe some documentation how-to ?

Of course it can! Source: http://github.com/ezquake/ezquake-source

I see though that I haven't commited a COMPILING_ON_LINUX document... However you should just git clone the repository, make sure to get SDL2 library (or libraries if they are separated in your distro, which distro are you on?), jansson, curl/libcurl, libpng, libjpeg (I might have forgotten some...) and then hopefully be able to just make.

PM me on IRC with info about your distro and I'll see if I can write up a document on how to compile on Linux and what packages to install depending on distros.
  203 posts on 7 pages  First page1234567Last page