User panel stuff on forum
  203 posts on 7 pages  First page1234567Last page
Client Talk
2015-07-04, 13:00
223 posts

Aug 2011
Couldn´t get the weapon config to work but I will keep trying. EDIT: Finally got it to work. I remembered that I didn´t have the regular version of the script, but a handmade one for me. Trixy.

Some errors I´ve encounted thus far:
    Changing resolution in the menu doesn´t change resolution properly ingame. Only the console commands work.
    My 24-bit textures doesn´t load.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2015-07-05, 12:25
280 posts

Jan 2015
Dimman, how about you release a official beta of ezQuake 3.0?

It seems that a lot of people are already using it.
dev
2015-07-05, 22:04
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
andrestone wrote:
Dimman, how about you release a official beta of ezQuake 3.0?

It seems that a lot of people are already using it.

People are using their own builds most likely a snapshot of git master branch at the time of compilation. I don't feel the client is ready for beta in the current state. I'm not sure there's a demand for a new client, seems like the qw scene has died completely this past year unfortunately. If someone wants to continue and finish it somewhat feel free to contact me or do pull requests on github. I don't have time to work on this otherwise, sorry.
2015-07-07, 09:55
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
There is definitely demand but I have exactly zero issues with using BD's build 666. In fact, ever since I switched from a 16:10 monitor to a 16:9 monitor I am unable to use any 2.x version as the FOV and Aspect Ratio just is never right (but with 3.0 it is really perfect).
2015-07-07, 15:21
280 posts

Jan 2015
dirtbox wrote:
There is definitely demand but I have exactly zero issues with using BD's build 666. In fact, ever since I switched from a 16:10 monitor to a 16:9 monitor I am unable to use any 2.x version as the FOV and Aspect Ratio just is never right (but with 3.0 it is really perfect).

Could some of you guys compile a unofficially official build and make it available to the community?

dev
2015-07-07, 15:58
214 posts

Feb 2011
You can give this a try: http://upload.foppa.dk/files/ezquake3_20150324.exe

The 20150324 reflects the date that the last change was made (see git repo). I also fixed the version number so that it's not 666 anymore, it's now set as intended (was a problem with my environment)

Cheers,
BD

P.S. A very slightly tweaked version is available at http://upload.foppa.dk/files/ezquake3_20150324_newplayer.exe. The official build linked above already supports the new player model (see thread @ here for discussion and links to the model and skins), however f_modified shows "modified player.mdl". The changes in this semi-official build are to please carapace :

* Pass f_modified if using either the default player model or this new model (but not any other player model).
* f_version will shows "ezquake 3.0 alpha with new player model" to differentiate between the two builds.

In any case, both the official and the semi-official will still show "Modified player/eyes warning" when joining a server because that comes from mvdsv. If the community decides to officially accept the new player model, then mvdsv will need to be updated to accept both models. I do have the patch for this ready if needed!

P.P.S. If using the new player model and you have trouble watching demos, see post 55 and 57.
2015-08-03, 19:03
9 posts

Oct 2012
dirtbox wrote:

True. That's shame that ezquake v2 have wrong aspect ratio at 16:9 resolutions.
2015-08-03, 20:51
22 posts

Jan 2013
You guys probably already know this, but the problem in ezQuake 2 is specifically with the "Wide Aspect" setting. If you leave that un-set, and instead manually fiddle with the fov, vid_conwidth, and vid_conheight console values, then you can make it look correct (as far as I can tell).

E.g. when I'm playing ezQuake in 16:9 I use fov 106, vid_conwidth 864, vid_conheight 486 (leaving "Wide Aspect" disabled) and it looks good to me.

Does ezQuake 3 make the "Wide Aspect" setting better-behaved?
2015-08-03, 21:11
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Johnny Law wrote:
You guys probably already know this, but the problem in ezQuake 2 is specifically with the "Wide Aspect" setting. If you leave that un-set, and instead manually fiddle with the fov, vid_conwidth, and vid_conheight console values, then you can make it look correct (as far as I can tell).

E.g. when I'm playing ezQuake in 16:9 I use fov 106, vid_conwidth 864, vid_conheight 486 (leaving "Wide Aspect" disabled) and it looks good to me.

Does ezQuake 3 make the "Wide Aspect" setting better-behaved?

In v3 there is no such setting. Fov setting takes the aspect ratio into consideration while in v2 it's hardcoded to 16:10 and you can't change it.
Use the same fov in v3 no matter what resolution/aspect ratio you have, it will look the same.
2015-08-03, 23:51
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
That is the exact reason i switched to 3.0... For the aspect ratio once i moved from 16:10 to 16:9... The first build linked to in this thread works 100% perfect for me in every way. Could never go back to 2.x...
2015-09-21, 19:24
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Is there a very good reason to switch to 3.0? I don't wanna mess too much with my 2.2 as it's working like a charm. I have a 16:10 monitor...
2015-09-22, 07:16
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
erlend wrote:
Is there a very good reason to switch to 3.0? I don't wanna mess too much with my 2.2 as it's working like a charm. I have a 16:10 monitor...

OSX was in a horrible condition before, now it's up to speed with everything so that platform has the biggest improvement.
Then we have the linux port which works a lot better too than before although the starting point was a bit better than OSX.
Windows has seen the least improvement of the three, although there are improvements, to mention some of them:

* Same backend code for all three platforms
* Fixed/added /observeqtv or just /qtv (if connected) to go to QTV. Do /qtv qw.foppa.dk:27501 to get to the QTV connected to that gameserver for instance.
* Made /join work from when spectating QTV
* No wideaspect cruft
* Use the same fov no matter the resolution
* Introduced AFK on scoreboard (feature of the year)
* Major NQ Demo playback improvements
* QW demo playback improvements
* Fix downloading on FTE servers
* Fix the problem with cfg_load'ing during game broke all aliases (it forced you to reconnect previously)
2015-09-22, 08:07
202 posts

Dec 2006
is there an osx build or do i need to download xcode and figure it out?

edit: ok i managed to make it happen, wasn't too painful!
2015-09-22, 11:04
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
povohat wrote:

Nice! Hope it works properly for you?

There's instructions (atleast somewhat complete) on how to build on OSX in the git repository. XCode stuff is removed at the moment due to the massive amount of changes made to the OSX code base. Right now OSX is just treated as a POSIX platform (with some differences like mouse input code), then SDL2 manages the rest.
2015-09-22, 11:44
344 posts

Nov 2006
dimman wrote:
(with some differences like mouse input code)

speaking of which has seen some fixes in the fodquake code base. specifically removing a potential race condiiton. perhaps you feel like merging it back? ;-)
2015-09-22, 13:29
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Tuna wrote:
dimman wrote:
(with some differences like mouse input code)

speaking of which has seen some fixes in the fodquake code base. specifically removing a potential race condiiton. perhaps you feel like merging it back? ;-)

Sure, I'll look into it when I get time (which might take a while). Easier if you could create a pull request or so @ github then I can just click merge Thanks
2015-09-22, 16:35
152 posts

Feb 2012
dirtbox wrote:

for fck's sake, I didn't even know there was a problem with this in 2.2, but now I can clearly see it when it's fixed.

Used BD's 3.0 and it's like a different game, I can finally move! WTF
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2015-09-22, 19:06
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
dimman wrote:
povohat wrote:

Nice! Hope it works properly for you?

There's instructions (atleast somewhat complete) on how to build on OSX in the git repository. XCode stuff is removed at the moment due to the massive amount of changes made to the OSX code base. Right now OSX is just treated as a POSIX platform (with some differences like mouse input code), then SDL2 manages the rest.

Can someone give me the OS X instructions?
2015-09-22, 19:27
344 posts

Nov 2006
2015-09-22, 23:19
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Tuna wrote:

Thanks, I wasn't sure if that was outdated or something.
2015-09-23, 09:06
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Ok, I might need some help with the OS X thing.

I downloaded the ezquake source zip. I installed homebrew etc. I got a LOT of errors when I wrote sudo make at the end. (Log with errors is here: http://wikisend.com/download/282436/quakefail.txt) But I ended up with an ezquake app, and it seems to work. I have now also copied the ezquake, id1 and qw directories from my 2.2 setup to the ezquake 3.0 app (via the show contents etc.). And everything seemed to automatically work, I got my hud, my config etc. Except one thing: There is a weird echo effect on all sounds! WTF?

Edit: Turns out sound quality was set to 11KHz in config, somehow. Looks good now. Gonna test it in the coming days and weeks.

One question though: Do you think running ezQuake 3.0 on OS X is any different than running ezQuake 2.2 in Windows on the Macbook, performance wise? What I've noticed, is that when I startup the MacBook in Windows 7 (boot camp), and play QW, the fans go crazy, that is they go for full speed continuously. IIRC that is because I have two graphics cards in this MBP, 9400M and 9600M GT, and Windows 7 doesn't know how to auto-change between them based on use and need, so it used the best card at max all the time. Running ezQuake 3.0 in OS X the fans stay normal. That must be a good thing?

Btw: Does anyone know how to get a detailed +showteamscores? With kills, tks, dths? I only get the regular one...
2015-09-23, 11:46
344 posts

Nov 2006
Your log just shows some warnings. These are "normal" - or lets say they are expected but everything seemed to work.

I can't recall but it may be that at default quake on osx is capped at 60 fps due to enabled vsync. That way you have less CPU/GPU usage and the fans may remain quiet. It also avoids the screen tearing issue. It should be an easier starting point for noobs. People with more understand may go further and disable vsync and tinker around with the other settings to further improve their experience..
2015-09-23, 12:46
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Tuna wrote:
Your log just shows some warnings. These are "normal" - or lets say they are expected but everything seemed to work.

I can't recall but it may be that at default quake on osx is capped at 60 fps due to enabled vsync. That way you have less CPU/GPU usage and the fans may remain quiet. It also avoids the screen tearing issue. It should be an easier starting point for noobs. People with more understand may go further and disable vsync and tinker around with the other settings to further improve their experience..

Interesting. Can you explain what vsync in OS X is? And what other settings that can be improved? For instance, I have no idea what mouse input I get with the new 3.0 ezQuake in OS X, or if mouse acceleration is enabled. In Windows, I have used Nvidia drivers and set the 3D to prioritize performance (as opposed to quality), but in OS X I haven't touched the graphics settings.

For the record: show_fps shows 230-240 when playing in OS X. Pretty much the same as in Windows iirc.
2015-09-23, 12:50
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Just run 3.0 alpha on OSX, it's more up to date with everything than the 2.2 Windows version.
There is no mouse accel in the OSX version (thanks to Tuna) if you use in_raw 1 which is the default.

Vsync toggling is supported on OSX and should work fine.

Otherwise yes IIRC running Windows on a Macbook made the fans go crazy because the OS wasn't able to switch between the fast and the slower card but always ran everything on maximum speed.
2015-09-23, 13:56
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
dimman wrote:
Just run 3.0 alpha on OSX, it's more up to date with everything than the 2.2 Windows version.
There is no mouse accel in the OSX version (thanks to Tuna) if you use in_raw 1 which is the default.

Vsync toggling is supported on OSX and should work fine.

Otherwise yes IIRC running Windows on a Macbook made the fans go crazy because the OS wasn't able to switch between the fast and the slower card but always ran everything on maximum speed.

I don't have in_raw in any of my configs ... but when i startup, it's set to 1, the default. All good then?

Any point in downloading some app to tweak OS X graphics in some other way?
2015-09-23, 15:01
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
Also, I've been reading this: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/6668/101128/ezquakefodquake-is-limited-to-60fps

Anything from there I could use? Do I need to ...

... disable vsync in OS X?
... install SmoothMouse for OS X?

Also, as my MBP screen has a 60Hz refresh rate, what would be recommended settings for ...

... cl_physfps
... cl_maxfps

Does it matter what in_mouse I have, when in_raw is set to 1?
2015-09-23, 18:39
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
erlend wrote:
Also, I've been reading this: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/6668/101128/ezquakefodquake-is-limited-to-60fps

Anything from there I could use? Do I need to ...

... disable vsync in OS X?
... install SmoothMouse for OS X?

Also, as my MBP screen has a 60Hz refresh rate, what would be recommended settings for ...

... cl_physfps
... cl_maxfps

Does it matter what in_mouse I have, when in_raw is set to 1?

* ezQ 3.0 does not have in_mouse settings. It's raw input on all platforms or not (toggle with in_raw).
* Do not use any "mouse smoother" or anything, ezQ 3.0 on OSX uses raw input without accel...
* Since you have a higher number of frames per second than your screen refresh rate then you don't have vsync enabled. vsync == vertical sync == sync framerates with refresh rate, yours aren't in sync thus vsync == off.

* You could probably force your screen to 75Hz at a lower resolution, and _if_ you use that then set cl_physfps 75 and a maxfps of 225 or 300 for instance.
2015-09-23, 18:42
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
dimman wrote:
* ezQ 3.0 does not have in_mouse settings. It's raw input on all platforms or not (toggle with in_raw).
* Do not use any "mouse smoother" or anything, ezQ 3.0 on OSX uses raw input without accel...
* Since you have a higher number of frames per second than your screen refresh rate then you don't have vsync enabled. vsync == vertical sync == sync framerates with refresh rate, yours aren't in sync thus vsync == off.

* You could probably force your screen to 75Hz at a lower resolution, and _if_ you use that then set cl_physfps 75 and a maxfps of 225 or 300 for instance.

Thanks. And interesting, that last one. I'm gonna Google and see if I find a way.

If not, then I just multiply by the refresh rate of 60, so cl_physfps 0 and cl_maxfps 180 or 240 (?).
2015-09-24, 07:35
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
I'm not sure there's a demand for a new client, seems like the qw scene has died completely this past year unfortunately.

Firstly, this is untrue. QW lives and thrives, we just had an extra long summer break this year. There is a demand for a new client!

Secondly, it's time for me to reveal my x-mas wishlist.

Dear Santa, as I have been a good boy this year, I wish for:
    • EzQuake 3.x for Win - official or not, beta or stable.
    • A google:able and logical place to find a "download" link to the above thang.
    • Somewhere to easily see most recent EzQuake versions, per platform and per release type.
    • A neatly maintained changelog for the above thang.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2015-09-24, 08:09
344 posts

Nov 2006
I think this is what http://ezquake.github.io/ is meant to be for. It just needs some manpower and more people involved in the "ezquake" organisation on Github.

Put some tags on the code when it is done (what is actually missing to get it out of alpha?) and I'm volunteering to build the OS X versions.
  203 posts on 7 pages  First page1234567Last page