User panel stuff on forum
  147 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
General Discussion
2015-11-11, 04:08
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
BREADLORD420 wrote:
Neither of those things can show me what Locust's cm/360 is.
Meanwhile, the CPMA hand cam videos mentioned by sedicious can show that.

*your blubber begins shaking uncontrollably*

It is 6 or 7cm/360. Pretty sure I mentioned that.
2015-11-11, 04:10
69 posts

Aug 2014
dirtbox wrote:
BREADLORD420 wrote:

Yeah, you did. The problem is that's just you making up a number and posting it. It's about as valuable as the rest of what you're posting.
Try again?
2015-11-11, 07:29
459 posts

Mar 2008
Looks like we've hit a sensitive subject here
2015-11-11, 09:38
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
I dont even dare to post my settings or hardware now
Chosen
2015-11-11, 09:49
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Keep it civilized people.
2015-11-11, 10:49
152 posts

Feb 2012
BREADLORD420 wrote:
dirtbox wrote:
BREADLORD420 wrote:

Yeah, you did. The problem is that's just you making up a number and posting it. It's about as valuable as the rest of what you're posting.
Try again?

are you seriously demanding proof of common knowledge?.. Like, dirtbox is lying, or what he's heard isn't true? LOL, what's this about, really?
Nevermind the fact that it's painfully obvious just watching the demos that Locust has a very high sensitivity. And the video that was posted about CPMer with low sens was pretty obvious, too. Not always, he does move his arm very fast, but still in many moments it's very obvious that he uses low sens. So, I don't know who 'couldn't tell' the difference. I certainly can. Maybe because I've really used anything between 10cm and 70cm over the years.

The whole argument is rather funny, though. Obviously, you can do well with any sensitivity. However, it's a fact that vast majority of top QW players use ~11 cm/360 and below, with guys like Paradox and Reppie doing borderline crazy stuff with 3cm/360. Average QW sens among its best players is considerably higher than in any other fps game that I know of. You can't just throw away that fact without even trying to find an explanation. I think it's because of the speed of QW, with low sensitivity making aim corrections while moving very fast can become extremely hard to do. If you're able to do that with the necessary precision - by all means, use 60cm/360, why not.

I can only say that I started playing much better when I upped my sensitivity and learned to play at a much higher value (while at other games like CS:GO at which I'm actually quite good I use and used 38-64 cm depending on form and gear). Higher sens does seem slightly more 'natural' to me for QW.

2 dirtbox:

High sens has only one drawback that I can think of and that stops me in particular from using the values I'd otherwise very much liked to use:
when you're nervous your aim goes to shit. I had to lower my sens to ~20cm/360 instead of much more comfortable ~10cm, because during stressful tournament games my hands become shaky and I can't aim and move with required precision. Something to consider, too.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2015-11-11, 12:48
164 posts

Apr 2007
I use 20cm/360
2015-11-11, 16:32
69 posts

Aug 2014
LocKtar wrote:
I use 20cm/360

Dirtbox won't tell you this, so I will: That's too high. There's no way you could do all the fancy jiggling of known heavyweight contender 'dirtbox' with such settings.

Drake wrote:
are you seriously demanding proof of common knowledge?.. Like, dirtbox is lying, or what he's heard isn't true?

It's not about 'demanding proof of common knowledge'. It's about calling out when people post absolute garbage and expect a crowd to come and salivate over it immediately. I can go in every thread and say "Locktar uses 2cm/360" - the information itself is worthless and unverified, and only a 15 year old kid idolizing his sports heroes would be stupid enough to think "Geez, I better use 2cm/360 or I'll never be as good as Locktar".

But yes, in fairness he's probably lying or what he's heard it isn't true. Because, again, anyone can go anywhere and start saying random numbers and posting "pro configs". Only total idiots would take second- or third- hand information like that and believe it completely.

It's like sedicious said - he posted his settings in the thread about posting your settings, and dirtbox got on his nuts because he's incredibly insecure. The actual topic is still as simple as that. It's also a great opportunity to point out how shitty unwelcoming behaviour is allowed as long as the poster's name and status are recognizable.

Now, let's rewind. I said that instead of going into threads, rolling dice and then saying "carapace uses 7.43cm/360", it would be good to show a demo and handcam video like sedicious had referred to. Otherwise, why talk about mousepads, sensitivities and arm/wrist movement at all? It's just blowing hot air and raising your postcount.
BREADLORD420 wrote:
How often do you play games where both players have low ping and good movement (so that you actually have to aim for real)? How often does Locust do that? Quake has a built in feature to record games, and yet all I ever see is people making shit up...why not point at an example of Locust's earth-shatteringly high LG? Maybe with, say, a hand cam video? Like what sedicious was saying above?

Then dirtbox ducked the part of my post that's about him actually playing, and sent me links to a scoreboard and a demo.
dirtbox wrote:
You wan't demos? examples? How about when Locust won the grand final of Duelmania Reloaded #3 against Locktar 3-2? Both on low pings?
He won the final 2 maps, both 100% efficiency, due to his incredible LG aim?

Check out the scores here
or
Check out the demos here

Then, just as planned, I told him "those things can't show me how many cm/360 Locust uses".
BREADLORD420 wrote:

It was that easy - I recognized how desperate he is to post simple/easy things from his soapbox, gave him the opportunity and he took it.
I still haven't seen anything to make a real connection between "sedicious posting his mousepad" and "dirtbox acting like an angry little kid". Feel free to point that out if it was missed.

Make sense?

Drake wrote:

However, it's a fact that vast majority of top QW players use ~11 cm/360 and below, with guys like Paradox and Reppie doing borderline crazy stuff with 3cm/360. Average QW sens among its best players is considerably higher than in any other fps game that I know of.

Show me something - anything - supporting that 'fact'. The post right above this one is Locktar himself saying that he uses 20, and that's already more believable than you ascribing 11 to "vast majority of top QW players".

Drake wrote:
You can't just throw away that fact without even trying to find an explanation. I think it's because of the speed of QW, with low sensitivity making aim corrections while moving very fast can become extremely hard to do.

"Saying what you believe" is not the same as "trying to find an explanation." When you haven't even really tried to find the data yet, you're not ready to explain it either.

Drake wrote:

I can only say that I started playing much better when I upped my sensitivity and learned to play at a much higher value (while at other games like CS:GO at which I'm actually quite good I use and used 38-64 cm depending on form and gear). Higher sens does seem slightly more 'natural' to me for QW.

Congrats, you're One Data Point. Sedicious and I both prefer lower sensitivities. It probably doesn't mean anything, just like it doesn't mean anything that rikoll uses 2mm/720.

dirtbox wrote:

Lets put it to the test then.... I will record a demo of some moves that I do with my 7cm/360 set up and you try and do those same moves with 60cm/360. You can film how ridiculous you look while you do it for extra kicks

Still waiting on the dirtbox handcam video from this also. But I suspect it will never arrive... oh shit the swedish defence force is after me *scurries off into the night*
2015-11-11, 18:19
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
BREADLORD420 wrote:
LocKtar wrote:
I use 20cm/360

Dirtbox won't tell you this, so I will: That's too high.

Let me rephrase that for you:

Thats too high for my taste / opinion

Just add "in my opinion" on every sentence BREADLORD420 and you will be just fine around here. Cops won't chase you.

I like the drama, just don't go wild about it (sane-style).

PEACE
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-11, 18:24
152 posts

Feb 2012
BREADLORD420 wrote:

Drake wrote:

However, it's a fact that vast majority of top QW players use ~11 cm/360 and below, with guys like Paradox and Reppie doing borderline crazy stuff with 3cm/360. Average QW sens among its best players is considerably higher than in any other fps game that I know of.

Show me something - anything - supporting that 'fact'. The post right above this one is Locktar himself saying that he uses 20, and that's already more believable than you ascribing 11 to "vast majority of top QW players".

Drake wrote:
You can't just throw away that fact without even trying to find an explanation. I think it's because of the speed of QW, with low sensitivity making aim corrections while moving very fast can become extremely hard to do.

"Saying what you believe" is not the same as "trying to find an explanation." When you haven't even really tried to find the data yet, you're not ready to explain it either.

Reppie and Paradox used ~5 cm/360 or lower. Oh I'm very sorry, I don't have screenshots of things I've seen being said in game, so no 'proof' (as if it's not fucking obvious anyway from demos)! You can check up valla's sensitivity in this very thread. Also 3 btw. Milton's here, too. Carapace has 10cm/360. I don't know how many times I've seen him say that. Rikoll - not sure, seen him saying something like 5cm and using only wrist. Doesn't matter if it's 3, 5 or 10, still very high. These people are not THE top QW players? Ok, not ~11. That wasn't the point anyway, more like the average if you take the highest of top and lower. Even 20 is quite high by other games standards.
And this is already enough, as I've followed Quake and Counter Strike scenes closely for many years and I simply don't know any top player in any of those games that had something even remotely close to fucking 3cm or even 10 and I've really checked - imagine that! Here you have how many really famous players with that kind of sensitivity?

If this is not enough, I rest my case. If you really expect people to find hard 'scientific' proof to the claims they make about someone else's sensitivity I probably should have screenshotted every answer I've ever seen given in game/on qtv just to be able to give you 'proof' at this particular moment. (HINT: in order to demand proof you must first define what constitutes proof for you. You know, someone stubborn and hell-bent on winning an internet argument can go ahead and say that people lie about their sensitivity and it's not 'proof' either - only an actual recording of how they move their mouse goes as 'proof'. After which you can say that these people are not who they claim to be on video, e.t.c. Why not, since we apparently are in 'scientific' argument and can't accept anything without hard 'proof').

P.S. your pseudo-elitistic attitude towards the concepts of proof, knowledge and explanation is annoying and looks out of place on a gaming forum . Also, no idea why you seem so riled up about all this.
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2015-11-11, 18:33
42 posts

Sep 2014
I personally don't need to see any mouse cams of quakeworld players.

The cpm player I was talking about, gaiia, doesn't actually have any mouse cams. People just take his word for it that he uses 59 cm/360.

There is a cpm trick jumper who has some well known mouse cams on youtube. He mouses with a different style than me so I didn't mention him. He appears to primarily bends and straighten his arm at the elbow, while I keep a fixed elbow and internally and externally rotate my shoulder.
IGN: sinistral
2015-11-11, 21:05
9 posts

Aug 2015
Drake wrote:

-sensitivity stuff-

If this is not enough, I rest my case. If you really expect people to find hard 'scientific' proof to the claims they make about someone else's sensitivity I probably should have screenshotted every answer I've ever seen given in game/on qtv just to be able to give you 'proof' at this particular moment. (HINT: in order to demand proof you must first define what constitutes proof for you. You know, someone stubborn and hell-bent on winning an internet argument can go ahead and say that people lie about their sensitivity and it's not 'proof' either - only an actual recording of how they move their mouse goes as 'proof'. After which you can say that these people are not who they claim to be on video, e.t.c. Why not, since we apparently are in 'scientific' argument and can't accept anything without hard 'proof').

P.S. your pseudo-elitistic attitude towards the concepts of proof, knowledge and explanation is annoying and looks out of place on a gaming forum . Also, no idea why you seem so riled up about all this.

You spent some time composing this post when you could've just answered your own question by looking back at the previous page where dirtbox makes this series of ridiculous claims in response to sedicious posting his setup:

dirtbox wrote:
60cm/360... LOL, this would make most agile moves impossible.

dirtbox wrote:
If it makes sense in your mind that someone can move a mouse 30cm as fast as someone can move 3.5cm then good for you. What does it achieve? Better aim?

dirtbox wrote:
-dickride snip- ... I don't see the point of using a low sensitivity when you have the skill to accurately control a high one.

Which invites the entire discussion around whether or not these claims are true. Simply espousing assumed top-player sensitivities does not directly support or disprove any of the claims brought up by dirtbox. To be fair, I don't think the gaiia handcam arguments amount to much support for higher cm-per-360 play either, but it sure beats the common QuakeWorld tactic of shoving anecdotal evidence of skilled players' dicks into any given argument.
2015-11-12, 00:13
69 posts

Aug 2014
Drake wrote:

Again: my goal here isn't to turn everything into a rigorous scientific adventure. It's to troll shitty people who sit around f5ing the quakeworld forums waiting for their chance to post things they know about well-known players and high-five each other. Keep it up - it only makes me harder.

Seriously, look how many fucking words you wrote to try and justify yourself being a memorizer of numbers:
Drake wrote:
Reppie and Paradox used ~5 cm/360 or lower. Oh I'm very sorry, I don't have screenshots of things I've seen being said in game, so no 'proof' (as if it's not fucking obvious anyway from demos)! You can check up valla's sensitivity in this very thread. Also 3 btw. Milton's here, too. Carapace has 10cm/360. I don't know how many times I've seen him say that. Rikoll - not sure, seen him saying something like 5cm and using only wrist. Doesn't matter if it's 3, 5 or 10, still very high. These people are not THE top QW players? Ok, not ~11. That wasn't the point anyway, more like the average if you take the highest of top and lower. Even 20 is quite high by other games standards.
And this is already enough, as I've followed Quake and Counter Strike scenes closely for many years and I simply don't know any top player in any of those games that had something even remotely close to fucking 3cm or even 10 and I've really checked - imagine that! Here you have how many really famous players with that kind of sensitivity?

You actually sound like a teenage cheerleader saying "well, all the top movie stars use this type of cologne!!!"

Drake wrote:

You know, someone stubborn and hell-bent on winning an internet argument can go ahead and say that people lie about their sensitivity and it's not 'proof' either - only an actual recording of how they move their mouse goes as 'proof'.

Yeah, like the handcam videos sedicious pointed at when dirtbox came at him. Or the videos of dirtbox showing himself playing on 7cm/360 that don't exist. The point of all this is not to present the perfect airtight argument about sensitivity. It's to indicate on many different levels how dirtbox has a shitty attitude, and how afraid the community is of any kind of dissenting opinion.

There are videos of gaiia, mew, hal9000 and countless others playing on a variety of sensitivities (mew especially is really low). Those videos exist and they're not hard to find, and they're a counterexample to what dirtbox believes. That's all I'm sayin' !
2015-11-12, 00:50
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
You sure were an unpleasant one, Dreadlord. I think everyone could be a little more polite in this thread :-)
2015-11-12, 11:27
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
https://forums.undeadlabs.com/attachments/michael-jackson-popcorn-meme-generator-i-m-just-here-for-the-comments-c7a82d-jpg-gif.22331/
2015-11-12, 14:08
8 posts

Nov 2015
Out of topic:
what FOV do you guys use?
2015-11-12, 20:54
13 posts

Nov 2015
Hi,
i'm new, do arguments like this represent the qw scene?

back to topic:
I use fov 110 with 4:3 aspect ratio .
Don't know what cm/360 I got but I use 800dpi with raw input and sensitivity 2.
2015-11-13, 13:40
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
daux wrote:

No.
2015-11-13, 17:40
164 posts

Apr 2007
daux wrote:
Hi,

back to topic:

Who doesnt love some drama? (exept in a relationship)
2015-11-14, 03:38
280 posts

Jan 2015
sedicious wrote:
andrestone wrote:

I never said that lower sens implies in being handicapped. There must be good features on lower sens game ofc.

You said you thought a person wouldn't be able to turn around fast enough at that sens. It was just easier for me to say handicap.

I'll probably upload a mouse cam of me playing in a week or so. I'm just gonna do a quick FFA instagib match vs some cpm bots, bunnyhop around and get some 180 flicks on cam and see how fast my arm is moving.

OMG, what I said was just what I said. Higher sens makes possible to physically turn quicker. I never said u wouldn't turn fast enough if u are on lower sens. I just said that for higher sens it is faster and that's it.
dev
2015-11-14, 03:56
280 posts

Jan 2015
Back to the topic:

This is my mobile, portable, on-the-go quakeworld gear (currently in NYC):

http://googledrive.com/host/0B2EWhkth6cfMc3llTHVZQ2VmT0E/IMG_20151113_224536.jpg

Notice the monitor stand I'm using, it is a macbook pro stand that works perfectly. I also forgot to bring my mousepad which is a Goliathus speed.

Mouse (what mouse,hertz, using drivers or no drivers, dpi settings?): G303 800dpi (used to be g400 800dpi) 1000hz no drivers
Mousepad : Razer Goliathus Speed (currently unavailable)
Sensitivity settings (cm/360 , settings in qw client, settings in windows) : 15.4 cm / 360
Operating system : Windows 10
Ezquake or other client? version? : 3.0 one of the latest nighlties
cl_maxfps : 770
cl_earlypackets : n/a
sys_highpriority : n/a
Gameresolution ? 1920x1080 or other? etc : 1920 x 1080
FOV : 115
Monitor that you are using, and what refreshrate, using lightboost? : Benq xl2430t 144hz
m_yaw and m_pitch settings? : m_yaw and m_pitch 0.001
in_mouse 1/2/3 ? : raw input
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Chery MX Red

Most IMPORTANT: Current ping to UK 77ms IN GAME!!!!

P.S.:

For you that doesn't have a mechanical keyboard, I really recommend that you buy one. It makes tricks and moves ridiculously easier as a matter of fact.
And I'm going to be rude: if one tells u that it doesn't matter he either haven't tried an appropriate one or doesn't want you to be a better player.
dev
2015-11-14, 13:55
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
andrestone wrote:
http://googledrive.com/host/0B2EWhkth6cfMc3llTHVZQ2VmT0E/IMG_20151113_224536.jpg

Take away the Benq monitor, and you pretty much have my setup. Which works pretty ok now that the Macbook screen is overclocked to 95 Hz.
2015-11-15, 14:06
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
LocKtar wrote:
daux wrote:
Hi,

back to topic:

Who doesnt love some drama? (exept in a relationship)

bahahaha
2015-11-16, 12:28
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Those keyboards are like £90 - is it definitely worth it? Are there any alternative keyboards people have good experiences with?
2015-11-16, 12:45
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Darff wrote:
Those keyboards are like £90 - is it definitely worth it? Are there any alternative keyboards people have good experiences with?

Considering that:
  • The keyboards are meant to last - from build quality, sturdiness, and 50 million keypresses guaranteed. One of these will last you +10 yrs
  • They feel alot better to type on. The impact on your fingers/wrist is smaller, it isn't so bad for you. Tendinitis and similar conditions probability is reduced
  • "it's like you're playing with iDrive enabled" (c) dev

It's worth it. If you can afford it, choose well and you won't be dissapointed. They're also very customizable: from switch color, to different material keycaps, etc, I suggest you investigate well, and if possible try the different switches (Cherry MX ones are recommended). If you can, got to your local shop and ask if they have Cherry MX switches Tester so you can try the different colors yourself, before you buy.

FAQ

lots of mechanical keyboards porn online

im typing this on cherry mx brown switches - the brown are a good compromise for gaming and typing imo.
Once you try, you'll never going back
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2015-11-17, 01:01
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
mushi wrote:
im typing this on cherry mx brown switches - the brown are a good compromise for gaming and typing imo.

What would you recommend if the keyboard is for gaming only? I am using a HP KU-0316 now, dunno if that's mechanical?
2015-11-17, 10:06
164 posts

Apr 2007
erlend wrote:
mushi wrote:

What would you recommend if the keyboard is for gaming only? I am using a HP KU-0316 now, dunno if that's mechanical?

I just bought this keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard! I'll be back with short review!
2015-11-17, 10:41
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
erlend wrote:

You won't find recommendations anywhere =) because it's so personal.

My suggestion is that you try the different switches, choose a form factor (100%, 80% (TKL), 60%) - this is the size of the keyboard btw - check if you require that the keys must be of your country layout, and only then look for keyboards that you can buy with those specs.

hf
2015-11-17, 12:52
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Just don't expect to play better because you get a mechanical keyboard. Make sure to read about the different switches and their differences, actuation force, release point etc.

I have two keyboards with Cherry MX Brown (one Filco and one CoolerMaster) and tbh I think I'd rather play with my old Logitech UltraX flat (first gen).

Mushi: Careful with putting out numbers like that because there's "two different sizes". The TKL (tenkeyless) is just a chopped of numpad but otherwise same size, or perhaps scale. There are other keyboards out there that aren't 100% in scale, just not to confuse with the width of the keyboard basically..
2015-11-17, 13:19
280 posts

Jan 2015
dimman wrote:
Just don't expect to play better because you get a mechanical keyboard. Make sure to read about the different switches and their differences, actuation force, release point etc.

I have two keyboards with Cherry MX Brown (one Filco and one CoolerMaster) and tbh I think I'd rather play with my old Logitech UltraX flat (first gen).

Mushi: Careful with putting out numbers like that because there's "two different sizes". The TKL (tenkeyless) is just a chopped of numpad but otherwise same size, or perhaps scale. There are other keyboards out there that aren't 100% in scale, just not to confuse with the width of the keyboard basically..

Well, "playing" is a really comprehensive concept. What I say, from my own experience: do expect to move faster and do tricks better with a mechanical keyboard.
dev
  147 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page