User panel stuff on forum
  14 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2013-05-22, 12:07
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Hi.

How about we mirror some shit so it never gets lost?
2013-05-22, 12:59
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Someone rang?

Tell me if you need help or input.

If you want to make it truly future-safe, use a tool that creates WARC archives (like wget) and upload everything to https://archive.org
2013-05-22, 19:59
1100 posts

Jan 2006
And now I broke http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/ by downloading. Sorry?

I guess either it has a really long timeout for those connections (hours) or something filled up.

edit: Ugh, looks like several other subdomains are affected too. Maybe it was not my fault anyways. It would be a weird result, my mirror attempt ended hours ago.
2013-05-22, 20:17
386 posts

Apr 2006
Spirit wrote:
And now I broke http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/ by downloading. Sorry?

I guess either it has a really long timeout for those connections (hours) or something filled up.

edit: Ugh, looks like several other subdomains are affected too. Maybe it was not my fault anyways. It would be a weird result, my mirror attempt ended hours ago.

All the subdomains have been going up and down like yo-yos for days. It probably wasn't your fault.
2013-05-22, 21:02
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Zalon. Where are you. Why are you letting the most crucial QW sites die with your idling. I'm tired of this shit.
Any dedicated programmer out there wanting to start a new project?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2013-05-26, 18:45
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
bps wrote:
Zalon. Where are you. Why are you letting the most crucial QW sites die with your idling. I'm tired of this shit.
Any dedicated programmer out there wanting to start a new project?

Harsh words but I'm starting to agree. First the site is fixed and everything looks nice and dandy, and in the next moment all developers are gone while databases starts crashing, tournament sites goes down and god knows where we will end up. Is there currently any active developer in the QW scene that has access to the qw.nu network ftp account etc?

I understand that some people have put a lot of effort into the site and get tired of it and whatever, but at least then hand the baton over to someone else while recharging the QW energy yourself.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2013-05-26, 18:48
223 posts

Aug 2011
Completely agree Ake, this is stupid.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2013-05-27, 10:27
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
yeah im pretty sad that the EQL page jumps up and down during the most crucial part of the season...
it makes ppl lose interest :/

i hope we can get the eql17 page up early so ppl know when to start signing up etc
Chosen
2013-05-27, 11:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I got read-only access to some things, but I can't do anything when things crash etc.

I can't really do anything about the EQL page Hooraytio. I think it's the hosting company that fails to server the connections. Perhaps a DoS-attack or someone is running a brute force attack, no idea really. One normally needs root-access to view the logs too.

Someone should step up and take over, or atleast share, the responsibility, I agree. I think this is totally doable and reasonable if you talk to Zalon.
2013-05-27, 11:59
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Ok!

We have tried to contact Zalon in various ways, lets hope he sees some of the msgs soon
Chosen
2013-10-11, 13:39
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Bumping this thread.

I'd like to create a QuakeWorld file archive, with mirrors, like the nQuake mirrors.

Maps, models, textures, movies, hud items, etc.

Just the files. If anyone is interested in helping out, contact me on #qwrookie.
2013-10-11, 21:20
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I'm still interested in more access. Nothing so far though. My previous experience with Zalon is that it usually takes 2-3 years from first request.
2013-10-12, 11:59
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Have you guys changed your view on archival file copies (like the zip files instead of extracted bsp files without text files)? If so, archiving all the things is the far future roadmap for Quaddicted and I have quite a collection, just not ordered.
2013-10-12, 16:33
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Spirit wrote:
Have you guys changed your view on archival file copies (like the zip files instead of extracted bsp files without text files)? If so, archiving all the things is the far future roadmap for Quaddicted and I have quite a collection, just not ordered.

I like readme files, and respect them. I've grown since our last fight.

Mirroring Quaddicted would be a good start to this project. It should however be a simple file listing (index), so it can be run by anyone. Adding another mirror should be very simple.
  14 posts on 1 page  1