User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2013-03-21, 15:37
5 posts

Dec 2012
So anyone playing QW with Apple? Hows it compared to Linux/Windows? I was thinking buying Mac Mini and using it with my gaming mouse, normal keyboard and 22" tft. It is ok for normal use but what do you think about gaming. Please share your experiences with Quake and Mac OS X.

And do you use different mouse drivers like steerermouse to get 4 5 buttons working and acceleration off? Hows it working if so?

If you got some good setups and confs please also share them!
2013-03-21, 21:29
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
iamthelaw! wrote:
So anyone playing QW with Apple? Hows it compared to Linux/Windows? I was thinking buying Mac Mini and using it with my gaming mouse, normal keyboard and 22" tft. It is ok for normal use but what do you think about gaming. Please share your experiences with Quake and Mac OS X.

And do you use different mouse drivers like steerermouse to get 4 5 buttons working and acceleration off? Hows it working if so?

If you got some good setups and confs please also share them!

Afaik ezQuake sucks pretty hard @ OSX if it even runs today. This is mainly because there's no OSX developers, or actually, there's no developers left at all (except for me, but I'm mostly busy with other stuff). I've gotten myself a Mac Mini too but I've got little to no time to focus on making ezQuake (or my version of it) work on OSX unfortunately.

On the other hand I know that fodquake is supposed to run really smooth on OSX since Tuna/bigfoot has fixed mouse input and a lot of other things there. So I think it works pretty fine, but better talk to Tuna I think (#fodquake on Quakenet).
2013-03-22, 09:59
344 posts

Nov 2006
Yeah Fodquake works nicely. However that is a biased opinion since I wrote parts of it. I encourage you to try it out and let me know if it is lacking in some areas. I might actually fix it. Since I'm not really playing anymore issues may be off my radar..

Edit for the questions:

Fodquake tries to read raw USB input from your mouse and keyboard. That means there should be no special drivers required (not sure if they could cause problems _if_ they are installed since I never tested it). That means you should get up to 8 mouse buttons I think and also unaltered, unaccelerated movement.
2013-03-23, 18:08
5 posts

Dec 2012
There is some errors at the end of nQuake Mac OS X package installation. Converting Mac OS X specific files or something. Had this error with old Mac Mini and MacBook pro. Is that critical?

Ok now I downloaded nQuake package for this laptop for testing but ezquake-binary doesnt start. Other downloaded from EzQuake site crashes when you start new game.

Ok but where do I put fodquake binary? W_load_wad_file, Could not load gfx wad file, thats the error msg it says when starting. I moved it to my nQuake install directory.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMr7BrqCZns Here is some install help I ll give it another try.

EDIT2: OK I just needed to put pak files to one fodquake dir and the fodquake is running "fine" atleast on this more powerful Macbook pro (Not my computer).

Extra questions:

I am familiar with ezQuake and got confs and skins there. Could you give me some help where to put them or could I use them with fodquake? Thanks for the help in advance.

Or share some decent confs if converting or something is not possible
2013-03-23, 23:59
5 posts

Dec 2012
Ok Fodquake is fine even on this old Mac Mini. Mouse 4 5 and everything works like it should.

And confs are equalent to my eZquake ones (red and white skins from nQuake skins)

Here is config if someone wants it or want to comment it. I like that conf

Config: http://pastebin.com/5MAK2DmD

(there might be some ezQuake crap inside)
2013-03-24, 18:01
5 posts

Dec 2012
OS X is fucked up. It limits mouse polling rate to 125hz. I didnt find yet any hack to increase it. If you know please share info. Google doesnt help much.

Steermouse? Smoothmouse?
2013-03-24, 19:26
92 posts

Aug 2007
iamthelaw! wrote:
OS X is fucked up. It limits mouse polling rate to 125hz. I didnt find yet any hack to increase it. If you know please share info. Google doesnt help much.

Steermouse? Smoothmouse?

HW switch like in Razer Abyssus. Should work with every OS. Works with Mac OS X 10.5, so no limit there . Also, maybe there are some mice with 500Hz or 1000Hz as a default.

iamthelaw! wrote:
vid_vsync "1"

Set vid_vsync to "0" and limit the cl_maxfps "multiple of your screen refresh rate".
2013-03-29, 23:58
202 posts

Dec 2006
smoothmouse is fantastic for osx, but for some reason it stops my mouse buttons from working in ezquake client. i had the same issue with ioquake3 until smoothmouse 1.0.6.
  8 posts on 1 page  1