User panel stuff on forum
  57 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2006-04-26, 18:35
14 posts

Apr 2006
My point is very easy! Almost so easy that ANYONE could understand it.

I write "almost" because some people just don't seem to get it.

"#¤¤!%¤#&#%&??!!/¤¤ What's the freakin' problem!? DO NOT FAKE (NOT EVEN IN MIXED GAMES).

I'll make it even more simple by sharing my point of view on people using not-their-usual-nicks-to-confuse-or-hide in mixed games.

If people play with a nick they use often (e.g. Nu55i instead of Sandyman, almost anyone knows that) it's ok by me. If there's someone asking there's usually an answer pretty quick. Ok with that, CHECK.

BUT. When people use fakenicks because they are "tired", "having a bad day", "trying out new settings", "don't want to lose in public", "afraid of getting comments because they 'should' win and didn't" and stuff like that. It's silly. (did I miss any reason?).

I've come to play only mixed nowadays since school/fiancé/etc is taking too much time to be active in a clan (which I really enjoyed back in the days with Campbusters (and will enjoy when we make a comeback)). The only two options left for me, and others, to play 4on4, is to standin (I love it!) or to play MIXED GAMES. And here comes the BIG problem...

It's easy to get mixed games going nowadays but THERE'S ONLY A FEW MIXED GAMES PLAYED WITHOUT FAKERS!!!???

It's not like the world goes under for me (nor for anyone else) (as some ppl probably would say) but it's very, VERY, annoying putting 20 minutes of your life (when you could've done something else) to a map/game that is COMPLETELY USELESS in all matters.

Anyone would(should?) agree with me when I say that a mixed game played with VERY unfair teams is one of the worst things in QW ... Often random pickup is made untill there's ~even teams and everyone's happy. When that's not possible after 10 rpicks I use to offer me changing place with anyone in the other team or I make a suggestion to a switch which I think would be good/better (NOTE: ONLY doable when the game doesn't include FAKERS).

Sometimes I have the energy to solve the faker-problem by becoming an admin and KICK the hell out of them. What's annoying by that is that the FAKER gets ANGRY(??? Wtf, who cares about you?). The fakers in these cases have had dozens of chances here to become REALNICKERS instead of getting kicked. AND, to become an admin as Eta-bETa you'll have to be ELECTED to admin. Which means the MAJORITY of the players on the server DOESN'T LIKE YOU FAKING.

Alas, I don't have that kind of energy everyday... I/we(the other players on the server) let the freakin' fakers play and sometimes we are lucky and the game gets even. But... TOO Often, like today, we had to break after 4 minutes because 2 fakers in my team were obviously (very?) skilled players and the teams were VERY unfair... That made me not able to continue playing since I had something else to do.

Solution of this problem? SIMPLE AND FRIENDLY ONE: E.g. today, the two fakers could've used their realnicks instead and we could've made another random pickup to get the teams more even. OR, we could've switched teams by mind and not by random. <--- That's the solution I would vote for. The OTHER solution is the KICK-THE-HELL-OUT solution, which I also like, from time to time. That's almost always doable in these days since serv-u is perfect for getting non-fakers to join instead! The problem is you don't always have that kind of energy...

I only write this because I don't think I'm the only one with this problem :].

If you don't feel the same, then feel to post a reply and use realnicks in the future.

If you are a faker and you think you have any legitimate reason for faking, post them here for everyone to see.

If you are a faker and doesn't like me kicking you in mixed UNEVEN games that I want to be fair games, flame me 8], or use realnicks from now on.

If you don't like fakers, join the KICK THE FAKERS-group and elect->kick when you spot a faker. The group doesn't exist on paper but it's there. TRUST ME FAKERS!!! IT'S THERE!!! KTFG 8]

Still it's not the end of the world but it's a small problem that could easily be solved just by using your real nicks. I don't even think YOU (fakers) like playing these very unfair games. Last, but not least, these games almost always ends with someone dropping, breaking, idling etc.

Too much to read allready. Have fun playing with your real nicks and be a man! Do not hide behind another nick than your own! NOBODY cares if you're div0,1 and someone with less skill wins! IT'S A MIX. And if they do feel like they're the best on earth by winning over you in MIX, they have a sad life imho!

Over and out.
2006-04-26, 19:41
14 posts

Apr 2006
I've come to another solution which I will try out next time! . I will make a serv-u-msg which says "Join this channel (e.g. #mix123) and when there's 8 non-fakers there I'll (or anyone could) post the server where the game's going to take place! (probably the one fixing 8 ppl will be the one choosing server, which IT IS allready!).

Maybe that'll work!

If not I'll think of something else!

The good thing with the above suggestion is that you don't have to waste time in prewar. If everyone get what I mean.

How did that sound?
2006-04-26, 19:44
810 posts

Jan 1970
Who cares about mixed matches anyway? Organizing a totally even one feels pointless to me.

You aren't better in any way than someone using a fake nick for whatever reason they want. There could be any reason for using a fake nick. Any.

There are also players you dont recognize, and you can always fake as someone else. I could go and fake as you if I wanted to.

Login/pass servers seem like a suitable idea when it comes to 4on4-servers. Of course there would be less activity there then, but it'd get rid of the fakenicking if really so many give a damn about it.
2006-04-26, 20:00
14 posts

Apr 2006
I care. And a lot of people do. If YOU care, that's a whole different story. It's for me, like I said, the only way I can play 4on4 games -> which I enjoy the most (out of QW's nowadays big amount of pleasing ways B)... If you'd read all the post (didn't you?) you would've known that I care about mixed games since I find them very amusing. If they are even that is. Heck, I even wrote that long post! Don't I care?

Feel free to register and login if you're not too afraid of getting recognized in here that is!

It would sure be less activity but only on the servers that it's implented on and those could be, for example, only for mixed games. Since pracs/official games nowadays doesn't contain that much fakers. After all, a big amount of the QW community has grown up nowadays.

I would not like it if you renamed yourself to Eta-bETa but what can I do to stop you...? Nothing... Was it a threat?

Anyways, I just wanted to hear your opinion and now I got yours too "unnamed". Unless you're not xn (who often goes by the nick unnamed I don't pay too much attention to your thoughts, since I don't have a clue about who you are).

Cheers!
2006-04-26, 21:23
151 posts

Jan 2006
I think its okey if u fake nick ,but god dame dont use my nick when u fake nick! thats just pissing me off!
2006-04-26, 22:54
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
the fake should just have his div in this nick like "faker-d1" or something and this could all be solved, because we dont care WHO u are, we just wanna know how GOOD you are.
2006-04-26, 23:45
47 posts

Jan 2006
eTa-bETa wrote:
The good thing with the above suggestion is that you don't have to waste time in prewar.

LoL
2006-04-27, 00:20
116 posts

Mar 2006
I hate fakers too and always vote yes to whomever has the energy to become admin.
2006-04-27, 00:22
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
begone fakers
2006-04-27, 01:03
810 posts

Jan 1970
Its obvious eta-beta is only prepositioning a clarified scentence when he says he's abbrevating this and that.. I do not need to hävda mig any futher but with my exentrical skills of making logical conclusions i must say that 1 thing is very clear, and that is that a faker always use at least 3 nicknames per year. Yes! Its true!

Helo im troll
2006-04-27, 07:16
518 posts

Jan 2006
word eta!
2006-04-27, 08:13
447 posts

Jan 2006
Paladia wrote:
Its obvious eta-beta is only prepositioning a clarified scentence when he says he's abbrevating this and that.. I do not need to hävda mig any futher but with my exentrical skills of making logical conclusions i must say that 1 thing is very clear, and that is that a faker always use at least 3 nicknames per year. Yes! Its true!

Helo im troll

PALADIA!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Ă„re fisto som fakenickar kanske?

mod edit: SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID TROLL
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-04-27, 08:16
23 posts

Feb 2006
I don't really understand why pickup games are organised differently in QW than in other games, where they are set up in IRC.
2006-04-27, 08:26
10 posts

Apr 2006
fuck slime and his hairy friends :<
2006-04-27, 09:43
104 posts

Mar 2006
We've had mixed TF games for years (or had).
I don't remember the bots name but Term (or someone from chosen) made a nice bot for mixed games... You had to type !ready or something and after 8 guys had signed the bot did rpickup etc.
If you (or i can also ask Term) ask you could get that bot to some channel, like #blender ....

For now on i'll be peke (or pektopah) >KTFC at mixed games...

Kick The Fakers Club
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/06/bypa/ptw/asamoah_l.jpg
2006-04-27, 10:23
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
a mix game bot.. hmmm

something like this?

<player1> !startmix
<mixbot> .qw Mix Game about to start! Join #qw.mix to join the fun! No fakers please!
* player2 joins the channel
(player 2 gets notice "Type !ready if you want to join the mix game"
<player2> !ready
(followed by 6 other !readys)
(<player1> /msg mixbot server <ip>:<port>
(player1 through 8 gets a notice with the server ip:port)
<mixbot> Team 1: (random) player1 player4 player6 player7 Team 2: (random) player2 player3 player5 player8

player1 could also get noticed about how long everyone that types !ready have been connected to the server, if someone connected AFTER the .qw was announced, then they are probably fakers

yeah, that'd be awesome.. quite simple to code, too.
2006-04-27, 11:50
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
just ask the faker what div he/she is, and its all good
2006-04-27, 12:14
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
and the faker should somehow want to play a fair game? don't overestimate teh fakers
2006-04-27, 12:36
447 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
mod edit: SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU STUPID TROLL

2006-04-27, 13:39
485 posts

Feb 2006
sassa wrote:
just ask the faker what div he/she is, and its all good

Yeah, like "Regret" is div4

I am agree with Eta-bETa :cool:
2006-04-27, 13:40
104 posts

Mar 2006
Empezar wrote:
a mix game bot.. hmmm

something like this?

<player1> !startmix
<mixbot> .qw Mix Game about to start! Join #qw.mix to join the fun! No fakers please!
* player2 joins the channel
(player 2 gets notice "Type !ready if you want to join the mix game"
<player2> !ready
(followed by 6 other !readys)
(<player1> /msg mixbot server <ip>:<port>
(player1 through 8 gets a notice with the server ip:port)
<mixbot> Team 1: (random) player1 player4 player6 player7 Team 2: (random) player2 player3 player5 player8

player1 could also get noticed about how long everyone that types !ready have been connected to the server, if someone connected AFTER the .qw was announced, then they are probably fakers

yeah, that'd be awesome.. quite simple to code, too.

It was exactly like that!
It even had a perfect idle block, so if you were !ready too long and didnt do anything you got automaticly kicked.

I've sent a link to this thread to Term.
2006-04-27, 17:20
14 posts

Apr 2006
I don't think I get the idea with mixbot. Maybe I'm slow, I don't know.

I get the idea that 8 ppl join an irc-channel, that was about the same thing I had in mind. But what's the point of making the bot randomizing the teams? that could be done more easily on the server imho. And over and over again untill it's fair teams. Unless the mixbot on irc knows all the skill and makes it "random but equal"... I don't think so... But I still like the idea that 8 ppl connect to a #irc-channel and go ready and then THESE 8 NON FAKERS join a server THEY know about. e.g. mixbot priv-msg to player1-8 a server where the game is played.

Did I get the half of it? or none of it?

(btw, ui, your picture end.jpg-link doesn't work, at least not for me)
2006-04-27, 17:39
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
why not just ask what div they are?
not EQL div, but skill div!
for example; Im div2 not div1
2006-04-27, 19:31
447 posts

Jan 2006
Fucking shit. Will fix it.

2006-04-27, 19:37
447 posts

Jan 2006
K, it should be sorted out now. http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg

2006-04-27, 21:30
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
this might look kinda messy, but I started coding a mix bot and it's almost done..

[23:28:29] <@fnu[Empezar]> !startmix
[23:28:34] -rpickup- Mix #20 started! Use !kick to kick players from the mix.
[23:28:36] <@rpickup> Mix #20 started! Use !ready to join the mix.
[23:28:38] * rpickup changes topic to 'Mix #20 (admin: fnu[Empezar]) (1/2 players) participants: fnu[Empezar]'
[23:28:40] <@rpickup> .qw Mix gather on #mix.qw! 1/2 slots filled. No fakers please!
[23:28:40] <@ultimate-> !ready
[23:28:44] <@rpickup> Mix #20 is now full. To start a new mix, type !startmix.
[23:28:46] * rpickup changes topic to 'No mix game is currently gathering. Type !startmix to start a mix.'
[23:28:48] -rpickup- Mix #20 is now full, please hold for server.
[23:28:50] -rpickup- Please select a server for Mix #20 by typing /msg rpickup server <ip>:<port>
[23:28:56] -> *rpickup* server f.nu:27500
[23:28:57] -rpickup- The server for Mix #20 is: f.nu:27500

the amount of players can be tweaked, along with pretty much everything else. the bot can also run on several channels (e.g. #qwmix.se #qwmix.br or #qwmix.iop #qwmix.war, etc)

this bot might be best suited for moments where you think it will take some time gathering 8 players and you don't want to waste it in prewar...

the bot will do .qw every 10th minute, and will terminate the mix after 20 minutes of idling (no new players).

i'll release the code as soon as it's done
2006-04-28, 02:05
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Okay the bot is done now, you can all test it on #mix.qw

!startmix starts a gather (you can specify a map by typing e.g. !startmix e3m7)
!ready adds you to the mix lineup
!break removes you from the mix lineup (changing nick/parting/quitting/getting kicked will also remove you from the mix)

admins (the one who starts the mix) can kick players from the mix using !kick <nick>, and ban them for 5 minutes using !ban <nick>.

the bot announces the mix on .qw and then on .spam every 10 minutes.

20 minutes of inactivity (no new !ready's) will terminate the mix.

when a mix is complete, the admin is asked for a server. if he doesn't provide a server within 5 minutes, anyone signed up for the mix can select a server, the first server to be suggested will be the one used. if nobody provides a server within 5 minutes, the mix is scrapped and you'll have to start over.

only the players who are signed up for the mix will get the server ip.

source code can be downloaded here
2006-04-28, 11:32
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Eta-bETa wrote:
But I still like the idea that 8 ppl connect to a #irc-channel and go ready and then THESE 8 NON FAKERS join a server THEY know about. e.g. mixbot priv-msg to player1-8 a server where the game is played.

that is exactly how my mix bot on #mix.qw works now

someone starts the mix
people join the channel and go ready
the admin (who started the mix) can also ban and kick users from the mix (5 minute bans) if he suspects a faker
once there are 8 players ready, the admin gets asked to specify a server
the people who are in the mix gets the server, and a new mix can be started on the channel
the teams are rpicked on the server!

the bot can also be used on several channels to gather several mixes simultaneously
2006-04-28, 12:03
104 posts

Mar 2006
nice empezar!

the reason that old bot had rpickup was that there wasnt such a thing on TF-servers..
2006-04-28, 12:50
485 posts

Feb 2006
The TF games were better with two captains who picked teams.
  57 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page