User panel stuff on forum
  5 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2013-01-03, 23:51
22 posts

Jan 2013
There's a thing I was reminded of recently and it bugs me that I can't dig it up. As a long shot maybe someone here knows what/where it might be?

What I'm thinking of is a CTF match recam. It's from back in the day before good streaming video hosting was a thing, so it was distributed as a mod -- a pak file that included the edited demo for playback along with the music track(s).

I'm pretty sure that:
- it was a tournament match, and at least one of the teams was from an active/popular clan (LGD?)
- the map was ctf5 "Da Ancient War Grounds"
- at least some of the music was a classical orchestral piece
- it used some slow-mo and freecam

And I think it may have been from a 3v3 tournament.

Unfortunately Quake demos in general, and CTF demos in particular, are decaying out of the internet. And my google-fu is not succeeding in narrowing down the specifics about this demo.

Not gonna lose sleep over this but it would be neat to see it again. Cheers if you happen to know about it. :-) Or if you know of a good stash of old demos/"machinima"/whatever that I could dig thru.
2013-01-04, 21:48
375 posts

Sep 2009
I'm building an App for quake, it's called: "QWDemos-Explorer". It will make life much more easier for the ones who are looking for a demo (mixed with a bunch of other old demos).

Stay up-to-date with the news here in the forum, I'll post it real soon!!!!
it's almost done!!
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2013-01-05, 22:44
123 posts

Mar 2006
Sounds interesting but hard to find. Is it a NQ or QW demo (sounds like NQ)? If it's NQ related you'd probably have more luck at www.quakeone.com or www.pentstools.com as those are the NA NQ community sites. Pentstools is more hardcore CTF/DM players so probably better luck there. Old CH-TV might have had it too in the CTF section but it's not around anymore.

BTW, are you the same Johnny Law that used to post a lot on cached.net ,ch-us, xsr/esr, etc? Such better times for Quake then...
2013-01-05, 23:09
22 posts

Jan 2013
Yup I'm the same dude. :-) Posting sliiightly less these days.

I wish I could remember for sure if it was QW or not. I'll drop in on those other sites and ask, thanks... I hadn't heard of pentstools.com before.
2013-09-04, 05:38
22 posts

Jan 2013
Hah, well FWIW I ran across something recently that reminded me which game this was. It's the one described here: http://planetquake.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=61650 and it was also originally at http://loc.gamesnet.net/demos/EGO_Reel.zip ... a tiebreaker CTFL game between EGO and CCCP in 1998.

Google and archive.org have let me down though. It's kind of a shame when these old things completely evaporate off of the net.
  5 posts on 1 page  1