User panel stuff on forum
  16 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2012-12-09, 09:15
88 posts

Oct 2006
the domain for Challenge-Smackdown needs to be renewed around now. I haven't done anything with it in the last 10 or so years, and unfortunately I don't see that changing in the 10 years to come next either.
So if anyone is interested, I would like to transfer it...
2012-12-09, 15:44
375 posts

Sep 2009
Where's (Who has) the website/demos hosted?

I surely would make a good donation to keep it running!
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2012-12-09, 15:52
88 posts

Oct 2006
I have a backup of most of the website, at least of the database. To get that to display again would take quite a bit of work. I got quite far with that several years ago but never finished it.
Demos were on challenge-tv mostly, but also for those I should have a backup.

The problem isn't really money but time. It starts to feel silly to spend money on a registration that I know I will never be able to use again
2012-12-15, 05:48
375 posts

Sep 2009
I really don't know anything about the website/owner, "where was it hosted"...

Is the website/database still exists, even offline, somewhere???

I'm really sad that it's down, and I would be devastated if it's contents disappears forever...

As we can see here, many people would be sad too...

Here: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/5893
...and here: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/1507

I think to ensure the future of QW we must preserve the past, the GOLDEN PAST!
2012-12-15, 05:50
375 posts

Sep 2009
as liCE! said:

Quote:
This makes me sad, I just started playing again after a break of 10-11 years.

This means that I have no idea what's happened during these years and secondly I can't find any old demos with my old clan The Pooh Clan.
2012-12-15, 22:42
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
I want it back. Where do I donate?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-12-18, 17:43
375 posts

Sep 2009
Jjonez, I didn't understood much of what u said, do you have a Backup of the Website how?
Is it a Full backup, or did you made it yourself (just downloading the demos)???

Does anybody knows the owner of the Website/Database so we can contact him??
2012-12-18, 18:35
88 posts

Oct 2006
wernerml wrote:
Jjonez, I didn't understood much of what u said, do you have a Backup of the Website how?
Is it a Full backup, or did you made it yourself (just downloading the demos)???

Does anybody knows the owner of the Website/Database so we can contact him??

We are talking about challenge-smackdown.com, right?

I have a full backup of the database(s) of all challenge-smackdown content (news, games etc.) That of course does not make a website, for which you need to code a bit to retrieve the content from that database and display it in a reasonable format. I have all of the files too that were not in the database, i.e. screenshots and the like.

As for challenge-tv, at some point I downloaded all demos and I think I should have the database that went with it too.

The domain is expiring in a few days now. Of course, with that my backups don't suddenly disappear either.
But when I do hand anything over, I would have to be reasonably sure that something worthwhile would actually happen with the content.
2012-12-19, 01:31
245 posts

Jan 2006
you got pm.
2012-12-19, 05:01
375 posts

Sep 2009
Sorry, I read the Title of this post wrong... I was thinking of http://challenge-tv.com/

I have never heard of http://challenge-smackdown.com/, what is/was this? could anyone enlighten me?
2012-12-19, 22:35
212 posts

Apr 2006
Smackdown was an international QW league. It began in 2000 and the basic idea was to have tournaments all over the world (divisions in Australasia, Northern/Southern Europe, North America, South America) and bring the winners of each division together for a large final played on LAN.
Some goals weren't achieved and some divisions didn't work as successfully as planned but especially the (North) European tournament was very successful and some of the games played in that environment remain unforgettable up to this day.

You can find some info and history in the wiki:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Smackdown
2012-12-20, 01:13
375 posts

Sep 2009
andy wrote:
Smackdown was an international QW league. It began in 2000 and the basic idea was to have tournaments all over the world (divisions in Australasia, Northern/Southern Europe, North America, South America) and bring the winners of each division together for a large final played on LAN.
Some goals weren't achieved and some divisions didn't work as successfully as planned but especially the (North) European tournament was very successful and some of the games played in that environment remain unforgettable up to this day.

You can find some info and history in the wiki:
http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Smackdown

Always wanted to know what this means...
I thought it was just another simple Tournament....
=P
2012-12-20, 03:28
370 posts

May 2006
Legendary, hope you get a good new caretaker Jjonez, and that MaD one day will rematch GoH in a smackdown game!
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2012-12-20, 19:52
212 posts

Apr 2006
wernerml wrote:
=P

In the end it was pretty much just that. But somehow it also was different. Around that time (2000) QW was totally out of scope for "professional" gaming medias which had really become serious for other games. That left a hardcore scene at QW with enough players/clans to make for a very attractive scene and games. Prior to that pessimists were moaning about the game's death, lack of leagues, lack of interesting games and no goals to reach for. This cry for help arrived many players who got their shit together and helped make this league environment so great - admins who wrote gaming reports, full support by DonKing who had his demo site, website owners who promoted and covered the league, developers, coders and artists who adjusted their proxies, ruleset for teammodes etc according to the ruleset of the league.

Also the average skill level was amazing with Euthanasia/Slackers, Flaming Fist, TVS, CMF, Koff and some others around. Add to that two of the best clans had some rivalry that they'd never meet in practice games (at least not with serious lineups) and only meet in an official environment with lots of flaming, special sort of hatred and lineups of star players - that was the special salt in the soup.
2012-12-20, 20:58
88 posts

Oct 2006
andy wrote:

This cry for help arrived many players who got their shit together and helped make this league environment so great - admins who wrote gaming reports, full support by DonKing who had his demo site, website owners who promoted and covered the league, developers, coders and artists who adjusted their proxies, ruleset for teammodes etc according to the ruleset of the league..

Just to keep the record in order: I don't think DonKing was involved with Challenge-tv at that time already. The initial owner, coder and maintainer was Dethkultur instead.
2012-12-21, 00:10
375 posts

Sep 2009
andy wrote:
wernerml wrote:
=P

This cry for help arrived many players who got their shit together and helped make this league environment so great - admins who wrote gaming reports, website owners who promoted and covered the league, developers, coders and artists who adjusted their proxies, ruleset for teammodes etc according to the ruleset of the league.

Also the average skill level was amazing with Euthanasia/Slackers, Flaming Fist, TVS, CMF, Koff and some others around. Add to that two of the best clans had some rivalry that they'd never meet in practice games (at least not with serious lineups) and only meet in an official environment with lots of flaming, special sort of hatred and lineups of star players - that was the special salt in the soup.

Golden Age then!!!
Let's play with honor till the end of the world then!
(according to the Mayans, it'll be like in a few hours, then: I'LL PLAY NOW!!!!!! hehe)

QW best game ever!
  16 posts on 1 page  1