User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
Graphics Discussion
2012-11-29, 09:40
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
So i DLed new HUD from qw.nu; the numbers (0-9), faces (face_1, face_2 etc), armors and weapons display. Because i hate the one that comes with nQuake

I put every file in qw/textures/wad dir.

But it dont work.

Ok lets find out why!

So, then i extracted the nquake.pk3 file, took my new "hud-files", and replaced (overwrite) the installed ones. Well, not replace because the files in the nquake.pk3 file are tga....and i DLed png. So then DELETED the files and just put in the new ones. Ok now it will work )

...eh no it dont work now either....

Ok then! So maybe the nquake.pk3 file just overwrites the qw dir then? IT MUST BE THAT ....so i DELETE the nquake.pk3 file ! NOW IT SURELY MUST WORK! ))

....lol no it does not work either.

How on earth can quake now show me the HUD that is DELETED and no longer excist on my harddrive?

And why does it not load the HUD files i put in my qw/textures/wad dir?

Maybe i am just overlooking something? Does the HUD files excist anywhere else?

Yours Truely
old and pwnd
Link, we are not even oldtimers anymore, we are dinosaurs. - Hooraytio
2012-11-29, 10:28
163 posts

Jan 2006
I have no intention what so ever to help you with your problem, I'm only here to say: HEJ LINK! Det var länge sedan.
http://www.aimbot.se/pic/dopefish_anim.gif
2012-11-29, 12:18
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
fu

...oh and HEJ!
2012-11-29, 16:48
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
hey!
welcome back
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-11-29, 18:47
459 posts

Mar 2008
Not an answer to your question, but because I've had similar issues with the exact same thing you're describing, I'm just going with a clean ezQuake install and add the eyecandy or graphics I actually want later: clean ezQuake

Some elements seems to be duplications in the nQuake install, and it can be quite confusing to figure out where they actually are hiding inside those pak's :S
2012-11-29, 18:54
64 posts

Jan 2009
If you are only checking your installdir/qw folder you should also check the installdir/ezquake folder.
Especially the file pak.lst is good to use for testing.

pak.lst (use your standard text editor) contains a list of the .pk3 files you want to be loaded (and in what order to load them)

On top of this, I think the order is:
1. Loose files (like hud elements/textures/configs) lying around in folders.
2. .pk3 files, as listed in .lst file

No idea about .pak files.

I guess your custom stuff are "overwritten" by a stray pk3 pack of crap. I notice I have a hud.pk3 still lying in my install-dir/ezquake folder, but I removed it from my pak.lst file, so it won't be loaded.
2012-11-29, 22:16
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
...so where is this pak.lst file? cant find it anywhere

...or can i just create it?
2012-11-30, 01:36
375 posts

Sep 2009
Link wrote:
...so where is this pak.lst file? cant find it anywhere

...or can i just create it?

What version of ezQuake are u using?

If this file doesn't exist, just create it (with Notepad), with the name: "pak.lst" at the folder: "Quake\ezquake\"

Mine here has this content (text):

Quote:
base.pk3
help.pk3
hud.pk3
progs.pk3
locs.pk3
levelshots.pk3
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2012-11-30, 19:33
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
So i uninstalled my nQuake....installed it again....and when i start up the game I got the same settings...what?

I give up

How the F*** do you delete the HUD that is installed with nQuake?

I tried all of the above

2012-11-30, 20:05
29 posts

Aug 2009
Link wrote:
So i uninstalled my nQuake....installed it again....and when i start up the game I got the same settings...what?

I give up

How the F*** do you delete the HUD that is installed with nQuake?

I tried all of the above

I had the same problem a month ago...and I gave up and left the old HUD GL !
The Bad Place Addicted.
2012-11-30, 20:28
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
Haha

Well now i tried everything. The GFX stuff that you DL from qw.nu site...and put in the correct folder...simply dont work!

I put the textures into every freaking folder and it dont work (quake, ezquake, id1, qw)

The nQuake install just wont allow it to LOAD!

So what does nQuake do to overwrite everything that you download? what file does that?

The only thing that nQuake allows you to load are maptextures and you can also load charsets.

But change something in the HUD?

FORGET IT ! THIS IS NQUAKE! YOU MUST PLAY WITH THIS NEW HUD SHIT!

Anyone care to find out on a friday night?
2012-11-30, 21:20
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
Ok so i found out what the problem was

nQuake WILL NOT load new HUD unless the files are..........tadaaaaa: TGA.

But, you cant just rename the file to face1.tga...lol

So, you have to open up editor....in this case photoshop...and SAVE AS TGA.

...problem is you have to do it to every file...lol

GG !
2012-11-30, 22:30
375 posts

Sep 2009
Oh yeah, I have read somewhere, that (another matter) if you have BOTH EQUAL (filename) files, one .PNG, and another .TGA, the TGA is the choosen one...
(but in this case if you have ONLY the TGA and it's not loading, then maybe it's a bug...)

(I have never used nQuake, always sticked to my Quake/ezQuake folder, builded (mounted) by me...)
2012-11-30, 22:48
News Writer
275 posts

May 2006
Well yeah problem solved....but what i still dont understand is how nQuake can load files that are not there

I extracted nquake.pk3...then deleted nquake.pk3...then deleted the HUD files in WAD dir that came from nquake.pk3...and still nquake loaded the deleted files....lol

I guess they got same files in pak0.pak then...thats the only place i have not looked...I dont have prog to open .pak

Who cares...i got some photshopping to do .... =)
2012-11-30, 23:10
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Well it's most likely because there are png's already in some pk3/pak file.

Got some d.numbers.pk3, d.weapons.pk3 etc? Search through your quake folder for .pak and .pk3 and rename them to like ._pk3 until you find the one which contains the images you don't want.
2013-01-07, 10:59
2 posts

Jan 2013
OMG, what happen to nQuake? a new version with fixed HUD is needed. I try to change the HUD for about 3 days and i didnt managed by using the new config file. Maybe anyone can help me.

I had a old version of nQuake installed but i have changed my hardware and i wanted a updated version of ezQuake and i have updated only the exe file but i kept the old config file and i run into some problems. Is obvious that the new versions of ezQuake use a different type of config file so i have decided to make a fresh install. The new version of ezQuake with the new config works great, i have a much better fps and the mouse now also works in the menu properly but... what the hell? the new version of quake uses different x y coordinates for the HUD textures. Also has some other textures added (i think, i am not sure). I have managed to replace the textures of the HUD (after i made them TGA, btw, if anyone wants the photoshop action to transform PNG to TGA easy i can help) but they appear in totally strange places on the screen (removing or modifying the pk3 file does not help). Than i have replaced the config file again, i added my old config file and everything turned to normal (with all the old bugs and glitches and bad fps but with a very nice HUD).

Now really, why would anyone want to use the standard HUD that comes with the last version of nQuake? is ugly and cant be changed in the way that we all know. The guys that made nQuake made a great job making that great QW package but they should fix the HUD.

So, does anyone knows what do i have to modify in the new config file to activate the HUD i want? Thanks.

OH, now i remember, i have another problem. I have a 16:9 LCD and i cant find any resolution for that type of aspect ratio. The other resolutions dont work properly, when i select 1024x768 i get the wrong aspect ratio, for example a square box doesnt look like a square box, is a lot taller than wider. The wide resolutions doesnt work at all, they look like 1024x768. Anyone can help with this? Thanks.
2013-01-07, 18:01
375 posts

Sep 2009
EPurpl3 wrote:
OH, now i remember, i have another problem. I have a 16:9 LCD and i cant find any resolution for that type of aspect ratio. The other resolutions dont work properly, when i select 1024x768 i get the wrong aspect ratio, for example a square box doesnt look like a square box, is a lot taller than wider. The wide resolutions doesnt work at all, they look like 1024x768. Anyone can help with this? Thanks.

A friend here had the same problem... You have enable/disable (don't remember now) the option: "Aspect Ratio Scaling" in your graphics card settings, but EVEN THEN it was NOT WORKING... then he searched through the web, and found out that this option was not working for many people also...
The NVIDIA driver had a BUG, then after he updated the driver, it worked!!!!
2013-01-07, 19:51
286 posts

Sep 2012
Something like

vid_wideaspect "0"
vid_customheight "720"
vid_customwidth "1280"
vid_conheight "720"
vid_conwidth "1280"

should work.
2013-01-08, 11:04
2 posts

Jan 2013
wernerml wrote:
EPurpl3 wrote:

A friend here had the same problem... You have enable/disable (don't remember now) the option: "Aspect Ratio Scaling" in your graphics card settings, but EVEN THEN it was NOT WORKING... then he searched through the web, and found out that this option was not working for many people also...
The NVIDIA driver had a BUG, then after he updated the driver, it worked!!!!

Aspect Ratio Scaling - yea, i know this option, is activated on my graphics card but i think that there is a issue with the game. When that option is disabled the 4:3 resolutions look like 16:10 and the image is stretch on a x axe (is wider). My problem is that when i use the 4:3 resolutions i get the right format ratio but the strangest thing is that even if the aspect ratio is good the image looks stretched on a y axe i have never seen this anywhere so it must be a game problem.

Jissse wrote:
Something like

vid_wideaspect "0"
vid_customheight "720"
vid_customwidth "1280"
vid_conheight "720"
vid_conwidth "1280"

should work.

Thanks, i will test this tonight.
  19 posts on 1 page  1