User panel stuff on forum
  20 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2012-10-29, 01:25
8 posts

Oct 2012
hi, i have a Q6600, 2 GB RAM and ATI R7850 with drivers CATALYST 12.8

I use resolution custom 1280 x 960 to get anice 4:3 feeling on my 2233rz. I use 120hz

I use max fps at 308

I get good fps drops in some places like on ztn main room. but what makes my fps drop the most is when I shot nailgun-supernailgun. It goes low to 77-82ish fps. VERY BAD. WHY? My computer is enough powerful for this quake. I play Q3+QL full graphic = no problem.

Yes i have r_Dynamic 0

Yes I tried sys_yield 0 and sys_highpriority 1

please? im a q3 player, i really liking quakeworld, but this is not playable. i really like ezquake, because its so easy with hud_editor. But why is this so crappy.

Also, when I play online, at good ping (43 ms) and I shot rocket or grenade, the models are jerky a bit. Its not SUPER SMOOTH like in q3/ql or with bots offline. Why?? I have no packetloss. only 1% sometimes. but its always jerky

PLEASE HELP )
2012-10-29, 07:43
73 posts

Oct 2010
"C:\ezquake-gl.exe" -nomtex
;-)
2012-10-29, 10:41
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
bolstof wrote:
hi, i have a Q6600, 2 GB RAM and ATI R7850 with drivers CATALYST 12.8

I use resolution custom 1280 x 960 to get anice 4:3 feeling on my 2233rz. I use 120hz

I use max fps at 308

I get good fps drops in some places like on ztn main room. but what makes my fps drop the most is when I shot nailgun-supernailgun. It goes low to 77-82ish fps. VERY BAD. WHY? My computer is enough powerful for this quake. I play Q3+QL full graphic = no problem.

Yes i have r_Dynamic 0

Yes I tried sys_yield 0 and sys_highpriority 1

please? im a q3 player, i really liking quakeworld, but this is not playable. i really like ezquake, because its so easy with hud_editor. But why is this so crappy.

Also, when I play online, at good ping (43 ms) and I shot rocket or grenade, the models are jerky a bit. Its not SUPER SMOOTH like in q3/ql or with bots offline. Why?? I have no packetloss. only 1% sometimes. but its always jerky

PLEASE HELP )

43ms ping isn't really great in QW though. To make the rockets better, use 'cl_earlypackets 0', typ 'show net' and there you'll see min/avg/max ping. Use 'cl_delay_packet X' (increase by 1) until you min/avg/max are the same and dev reports 0.00ms. Then you'll have it as smooth as possible. It does require a decently stable connection to make it possible.
2012-10-29, 11:59
8 posts

Oct 2012
VanoZ wrote:
"C:\ezquake-gl.exe" -nomtex
;-)

didn't work

http://s13.postimage.org/rmm8ym3hx/ezquake008.png

http://s12.postimage.org/du6s1tvff/ezquake009.png
2012-10-29, 20:32
405 posts

Jan 2006
regarding FPS drops, it seems you use too much of particle effects, you should disable it.
<3
2012-10-29, 23:15
8 posts

Oct 2012
qqshka wrote:
regarding FPS drops, it seems you use too much of particle effects, you should disable it.

How?
Isn't it better to dodge nails and shit?

In any case I get a fps drop in the main ztn area. This ezquake port is fuked. It's a 12 year old game anyway, is hould get 308 fps on all maps no problem.
2012-10-30, 21:18
405 posts

Jan 2006
I have no idea what you have enabled and what not, basically ezquake have some config presets for different perfomance so you can check it (using ezquake menu).

Also, there is this one http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/.

You should check gl_part<press tab here> and gl_nailtrail<press tab here> and set most/all of it to 0.

You can ask for configs some other users.

Oh well, you can check other quake clients or get better gfx card, at least not an ATI, or get back to q3/ql :< Tbh, no idea how much fps you have in q3 on different maps under different conditions.
<3
2012-10-30, 22:30
286 posts

Sep 2012
Ezquake always sucked here too, with strange fps/sound drops ( i can get around 700fps stable with my low qual cfg, but still have freezes ).
I thought it was cause of my ati card who hated opengl, but the game seems to work way better since i removed the demo recording during matches ( match_auto_record "0" ).
Still have some stuttering but less.
Hope it will be fixed the day i buy another computer with an nvidia

( btw never had a problem with another quake or with recent games )
2012-10-31, 04:07
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
bolstof wrote:
In any case I get a fps drop in the main ztn area. This ezquake port is fuked. It's a 12 year old game anyway, is hould get 308 fps on all maps no problem.

Try a default nQuake installation, see if you still have the same issues.
2012-10-31, 11:22
8 posts

Oct 2012
qqshka wrote:
I have no idea what you have enabled and what not, basically ezquake have some config presets for different perfomance so you can check it (using ezquake menu).

You should check gl_part<press tab here> and gl_nailtrail<press tab here> and set most/all of it to 0.

Oh well, you can check other quake clients or get better gfx card, at least not an ATI, or get back to q3/ql :< Tbh, no idea how much fps you have in q3 on different maps under different conditions.

>better gfx card
Do you know what an ATi R7850 is? It's powerful enough to play all the modern games at 1680x1050. It's ezquake fault at being a piece of crap with some cards, i don't need a 'better card' i need ezquake developers to stop making it suck.

disabling particles solved the shotting problem but its harder to dodge when they shot you cos you dont see them as good

i still get fps drops in some maps like in the main RA room in ztndm3
2012-10-31, 14:34
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
bolstof wrote:
qqshka wrote:

>better gfx card
Do you know what an ATi R7850 is? It's powerful enough to play all the modern games at 1680x1050. It's ezquake fault at being a piece of crap with some cards, i don't need a 'better card' i need ezquake developers to stop making it suck.

disabling particles solved the shotting problem but its harder to dodge when they shot you cos you dont see them as good

There there, when you play the game some more you'll notice that dodging nails isn't really high priority

On a more serious note: problem is that it's a "hobby" project and currently lacks enough active developers.

My tip: Turn down your gfx settings, you don't benefit from having great looking graphics in qw, quite the opposite.
2012-10-31, 16:08
117 posts

Jan 2006
Would it be difficult to port ezquake to d3d? I assume this has been discussed before Personally I get 308fps all the time anyway.. but basically with the "classic" quake look. FYI I have a Radeon 6670.
2012-10-31, 17:05
8 posts

Oct 2012
dimman wrote:
bolstof wrote:
qqshka wrote:

>better gfx card

There there, when you play the game some more you'll notice that dodging nails isn't really high priority

On a more serious note: problem is that it's a "hobby" project and currently lacks enough active developers.

My tip: Turn down your gfx settings, you don't benefit from having great looking graphics in qw, quite the opposite.

for some reason i feel sick when playing qw with super low res textures like that. I like how q3/ql downsizes the textures, qw makes the textures low blurry and i feel drunk when i play at gl picmip 5

anyway guys i've found what was making my gfx go crazy: r_drawflame, i set it to 0 and now i get near 1000 fps if i set cl_maxfps 0

So considering my res (1280x960) and my hz (120) what is the best cl_maxfps value?

and should I have cl_independentphysics on or off? what is the official rule on that? should everyone have the same physics regardless how many fps can u get? it was pretty lame with q3 when you could make jumps easier if u had fast computer (in 1999 125 fps in q3 was crazy) but if you had normal computer = you are fucked in jump tricks

the only thing that is making my fps go low now is the trails on rockets and grenades, but i love these in qw (not in ql/q3) cos the projectils are too fast to see without trail. can i set the classic trail with lame particles like in original q1? maybe i can get better fps like that
2012-10-31, 18:30
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
gore wrote:
Would it be difficult to port ezquake to d3d? I assume this has been discussed before Personally I get 308fps all the time anyway.. but basically with the "classic" quake look. FYI I have a Radeon 6670.

I think there even is a d3d port (probably not working at all) in the repo. I know FTE has d3d rendering, but I think it sucks too

Anyway, d3d is not the solution, its just a gateway to other problems. Biggest issue: It's not portable and its Microjunk.
2012-10-31, 21:03
405 posts

Jan 2006
bolstof wrote:
Do you know what an ATi R7850 is?

Yes I know, its piece of crap which can't give you stable fps in ~10 years old game :<

And this r_drawflame, its most likely was done with particles again (you can do it with some settings).
Rocket trails are particles as well.

And as we can see, ATI suck with it, well, NVIDIA suck badly too (3000fps vs 1300fps on ztn with particle flame D), but noone going to fix it, there simply no ezquake developers, they all gone.

Also, turn on r_dynamic, probably your poor ATI able to handle it, at least my old ATI x800 was able to handle it with 500 fps (probably not all the time, can't recall), and by disabling r_dynamic you handicaping yourself badly, since you will not be able to see enemy quad/pent glowing at corners and behind walls, well, if you duelist only, then it does not matter.
<3
2012-10-31, 21:18
405 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:

I think there even is a d3d port (probably not working at all) in the repo. I know FTE has d3d rendering, but I think it sucks too

Anyway, d3d is not the solution, its just a gateway to other problems. Biggest issue: It's not portable and its Microjunk.

ezquake d3d "port" should work, but its just a wrap GL calls to d3d calls, so its actually slower (a bit) than GL, it was done in one/two days just to test nvidia 3d vision technology (works with d3d only, sigh) on friend hardware, worked so far, but someone (raket?) reports it have issues - like able to see through walls and such

Regarding "biggest issue", you are biased towards lunixjunk...
<3
2012-10-31, 21:46
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
qqshka wrote:
Regarding "biggest issue", you are biased towards lunixjunk...

Well I got both, although I'm more or less only using Linux... Although the fact remains: OpenGL is more or less platform independent where as d3d is solely for Microsoft platforms.
2012-10-31, 23:08
8 posts

Oct 2012
This post has been removed due to violation of rules 1 and 2 of http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/rules.

Read the rules and consider this a warning.
2012-11-01, 18:51
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
Maybe this is a helpful read for you: http://wiki.quakeworld.nu/Smooth_Quake.

Also check out the commands gl_part_* and gl_particle_* to enable/disable different particle effects.
2014-05-28, 21:22
73 posts

Oct 2010
model jerkiness.. mb cl_nolerp
i have ati card and perfomance highly(+-~17%, not that huge but..) depends on driver version..
so let's dance. i tried many of them and now i have a copy of atioglxx.dll of the best driver in my quake folder
(be careful - copying that file to another comp could make engines crash)
  20 posts on 1 page  1