User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2012-10-19, 23:48
71 posts

Sep 2006
i was trying some older games like ezquake and cs 1.6 and saw that they both crash. but i can play any new game at full fps. tried running ezquake in xp compibility mode but it didnt make a difference. any idea what causes the problem?
intel(R) core(TM) i5-2500k
16gb ram
amd radeon hd 6950
windows 7
2012-10-20, 07:11
344 posts

Nov 2006
Did you try enabling vsync or limiting your fps via cl_maxfps? Kind of sounds like a hardware overheating issues.
2012-10-20, 16:40
71 posts

Sep 2006
usually i use 120 fps i just tried at 60fps and still froze. i started speedran to check the tempatures and after about 2-3 minutes ingame the core temp goes above 45C and has a red arrow next to it so it definitly sounds like an overheating issue.
2012-10-20, 17:42
1329 posts

Apr 2006
zunknown1 wrote:
usually i use 120 fps i just tried at 60fps and still froze. i started speedran to check the tempatures and after about 2-3 minutes ingame the core temp goes above 45C and has a red arrow next to it so it definitly sounds like an overheating issue.

Tbh it doesn't sound overheating at all. The current generation and last generation gfxcards are fine with up to 95-105C temps, at only these temperatures will they start throttling speed. If you check any gfxcard reviews, you will notice this by yourself as most reference design gfxcards heat up at 80C or more these days, it's only those gfxcards with custom cooling that are cooler.

Since you have an AMD card and you say your other games work fine, I suspect AMD's opengl icd is a piece of shit and fails for whatever reason. Or maybe your system is otherwise unstable? Or perhaps the card is broken?

You can easily test your computer's stability by few programs:

1) Use prime95 with torture test -> small fft test to test your CPU (45-60min of torture should be ok). Just remember to enable error checking in the menus. You will get an error if something goes wrong, this usually doesn't crash your computer.

2) Intel Burn Test with the highest setting (uses all your ram) is a good indicator for memory/cpu/system stability, just run something like 10-20 iterations (this should last for an hour or so). Again, you will get an error if something goes wrong, this usually doesn't crash your computer.

3) If you get an error with either of the prime95 or IBT, you probably want to check your memory by using Memtest86+, just burn it on some RW disc and reboot from it. Few passes would be ok in this case, you will be shown errors if there are any.

4) Finally, you can leave Unigine Heaven to run for an hour or so to test your graphics card, just remember to maximize the settings (well you can use the second highest tesselation setting) so that it will heat up your gfxcard enough.

Just a note: when running prime95, you can use your computer to do other stuff, prime95 is fine in the background. IBT on the other hand is not such program, as it will use all available ram under the highest setting and makes your computer slow as hell, so you will be better off to leave it running on it's own. Obviously Unigine Heaven should be run on fullscreen, so unless you like to watch it, you should figure out something else to do in the mean while.

If none of these programs give you an error or crash, your hw is probably somewhat stable, but the problem would be in AMD's drivers.
Servers: Troopers
2012-10-21, 20:11
71 posts

Sep 2006
i ran prime95, IBT, than today did unique heaven for 30 mins on opengl API than directX 11 for 30 mins and nothing crashed.
2012-10-21, 20:59
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Maybe try different drivers from AMD then, doesn't really seem like your system otherwise would be unstable, it seems to be quite specific for the quake engine and it's opengl implementation.

(Edited 2012-10-21, 21:01)
Servers: Troopers
2012-10-21, 21:01
57 posts

Apr 2007
You need to be more specific.
How does QW crash? Hard reboot only option? At once, or randomly after a certain time?
2012-10-21, 21:38
71 posts

Sep 2006
after about 5 minutes of playing my entire pc freezes and continues making the same sound over and over until i turn it off
2012-10-23, 03:00
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
zunknown1 wrote:
after about 5 minutes of playing my entire pc freezes and continues making the same sound over and over until i turn it off

Try right clicking and run as administrator, see if it makes a difference...
2012-10-23, 15:43
71 posts

Sep 2006
i set -heapsize 131072 and it seems to have fixed it
  10 posts on 1 page  1