User panel stuff on forum
  92 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
Site Feedback
2012-08-30, 12:59
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Andeh wrote:
Also, perhaps name the page you're reading? Like, if I am reading a thread and scroll down a bunch, and I'm reading 5 threads at a time, I forget which thread I'm reading. Usually I tend to check for names of the thread all over, be it URL or name of the page itself, but I tend to find nothing here To know which thread I am reading, I need to scroll up to the top which is annoying ^^

Yours,
Andeh

Or just put a "Re: blabla" in all post titles.
2012-08-30, 16:07
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
Andeh wrote:
Also, perhaps name the page you're reading? Like, if I am reading a thread and scroll down a bunch, and I'm reading 5 threads at a time, I forget which thread I'm reading. Usually I tend to check for names of the thread all over, be it URL or name of the page itself, but I tend to find nothing here To know which thread I am reading, I need to scroll up to the top which is annoying ^^

Yours,
Andeh

Added more dynamic to both URLs and the page title when viewing topics, blogs and news. That should help you keep track of those tabs.
2012-08-30, 16:08
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I'd like "thumbs up / thumbs down" feature to vote up posts you agree with or disagree with. It could reduce the amount of +1 / I agree with... etc useless posts that doesn't add anything to the discussion. Also, those who generally don't even join discussions with a three word sentence can thumbs up posts they like.
2012-08-30, 16:19
223 posts

Aug 2011
I guess somebody is looking into this (or has plans to), but the video rating system should be up again (perhaps put them in some kind of order in how high rating they have) and MOAR VIDEOS!
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2012-08-30, 16:43
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
cara wrote:
I guess somebody is looking into this (or has plans to), but the video rating system should be up again (perhaps put them in some kind of order in how high rating they have) and MOAR VIDEOS!

Yes, media section is still missing some bits. Will be fixed this weekend and I'm sure Para is eager to pick up on the administration of this, adding more videos at a steady pace, writing reviews and stuff.

(Edited 2012-09-02, 10:21)
2012-08-30, 17:04
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
swiNg wrote:
Andeh wrote:

Yours,
Andeh

Added more dynamic to both URLs and the page title when viewing topics, blogs and news. That should help you keep track of those tabs.

Much easier now! Thanks!
2012-08-30, 17:16
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
How about a "updates ticker" to the right, with live updates when something happens?

[icon for profile update] ParadokS
[icon for comment] "New QuakeWorld.nu website" by Empezar
[icon for forum post] "Feature Requests" by Empezar

Something like that, updating when it happens.
2012-08-30, 18:30
312 posts

Feb 2006
Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, so I'll just asume it's a feature. When looking at the current "updates" page, it lists each comment as a separate update, which makes it unnecessarily hard to see which topics have new content in them.

To (hopefully) make it more clear: what I expect

**Updates**
new thread #1
new blog entry #1
old thread with new comments #1 linking to the first post-id that's been added since my last visit
old thread with new comments #2
old thread with new comments #3
etc

What it actually does
*new stuff*
only newly created stuff, such as threads or blog entries since last visit
*comments*
confusing pile of each and every comment posted anywhere since last visit.

It's really not the ideal way to browse the site when there are multiple active threads with 15+ more comments in each of them. You can easily miss other, less active threads, when they are all put together like that
2012-08-30, 18:56
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I agree with mipa.

If there's been five new posts in ONE thread, make it one update and link to the first unread post.
2012-08-30, 19:02
312 posts

Feb 2006
I'd also want to be able to change the used time zone, instead of just using the servers time on forum posts and such
2012-08-30, 19:31
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
If I click the LINK button in the forum post text editor and don't fill in any url, I want it to add (url)(/url) tags instead of (url=)(/url).
2012-08-30, 19:48
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
empezar wrote:
If I click the LINK button in the forum post text editor and don't fill in any url, I want it to add (url)(/url) tags instead of (url=)(/url).

You do realize your the main contributor to this thread?
2012-08-31, 03:43
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
empezar wrote:

You do realize your the main contributor to this thread?

Is that bad?
2012-08-31, 16:56
188 posts

Feb 2008
The links generated when clicking update, I would like to be able to open them in another tab by using mouse3 (or right click->open in new tab), doesn't work
atm. in firefox 14.01, linux, amd64.
2012-09-01, 19:17
137 posts

Sep 2006
Id like an "events" button on the main-menu for tournaments and other activities.

//And a small box showing populated servers with "playbuttons" would be very cool :->
2012-09-02, 01:30
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
hoder wrote:
Id like an "events" button on the main-menu for tournaments and other activities.

//And a small box showing populated servers with "playbuttons" would be very cool :->

The events button will probably be implemented in the near future, when there are actually tournamenst starting up.
And as the populated servers box go, we will also integrated that, once we have our own serverbrowser on the site
ready!
2012-09-02, 10:13
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
empezar wrote:
Also, I think you should be allowed to edit your posts without the "Last edited" showing up for at least 2 minutes OR until someone actually READS your post (or when someone posts something below your post).

Yes, that makes sense. I went with the last option; if the post edit you're editing is the last one in the thread, update time is not set.
2012-09-02, 13:34
1100 posts

Jan 2006
I don't think that is a good idea. Someone might have read it and currently writing a reply. Or it might be a really post no one ever bothered replying to.
2012-09-02, 13:57
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
I think you overestimate the importance of this.
2012-09-02, 19:34
137 posts

Sep 2006
ParadokS wrote:
hoder wrote:

The events button will probably be implemented in the near future, when there are actually tournamenst starting up.
And as the populated servers box go, we will also integrated that, once we have our own serverbrowser on the site

Sweet!
2012-09-03, 20:41
223 posts

Aug 2011
Hello!

Iīve always been a hater of fakenicking in servers, both due to the fact that itīs impossible to make fair teams and the fact that a fakenicker doesnīt take responsibility for their actions, both verbally and in-game.

While this solution isnīt a quickfix by any stretch of the imagination I think Iīd just put it out there. Itīs inspired by alot of other games, that forces you to identify yourself and stand behind your actions, if only by giving up an e-mail or similar.

On to the solution:
Make some server ports, ie foppa.dk:27501 and 27502 check for a quakeworld.nu login. And if you failed to log in with your quakeworld.nu user the server will reject your connection attempt, both on QTV and as a spectator. This would also require you to register a quake nick on your account page, and any changing of this nickname would have to be verified by a quakeworld.nu admin.

I realize that this probably takes alot of work from someone who knows coding, both browser and ezquake, but in the long run I think the quakeworld community will benefit from this as it saves us from alot of grief. If you want a fakenick free experience, you know what ports to prioritize, and if you simply donīt care you can go on with your business on the other ports.

Thatīs all. Hope to get some feedback comments.
2012-09-04, 05:01
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
cara wrote:
Hello!

Iīve always been a hater of fakenicking in servers, both due to the fact that itīs impossible to make fair teams and the fact that a fakenicker doesnīt take responsibility for their actions, both verbally and in-game.

While this solution isnīt a quickfix by any stretch of the imagination I think Iīd just put it out there. Itīs inspired by alot of other games, that forces you to identify yourself and stand behind your actions, if only by giving up an e-mail or similar.

On to the solution:
Make some server ports, ie foppa.dk:27501 and 27502 check for a quakeworld.nu login. And if you failed to log in with your quakeworld.nu user the server will reject your connection attempt, both on QTV and as a spectator. This would also require you to register a quake nick on your account page, and any changing of this nickname would have to be verified by a quakeworld.nu admin.

I realize that this probably takes alot of work from someone who knows coding, both browser and ezquake, but in the long run I think the quakeworld community will benefit from this as it saves us from alot of grief. If you want a fakenick free experience, you know what ports to prioritize, and if you simply donīt care you can go on with your business on the other ports.

Thatīs all. Hope to get some feedback comments.

Firstly I don't feel thats a good way to go. Secondly, is it really _that_ big of a problem that it would motivate all that work? To be honest, I don't think so either.

Various login systems etc has been developed over the years, but in the end I think it has turned out that its actually not a great idea. Even Id Software had that thought at first.
2012-09-04, 06:47
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
I liked our old system jezaja made. It logged all connections and nicknames and you could look up a fakenick, and it would match it against other nicks with same ip address. So for example you would look up Dangerous Dave and it would say 100 logins, this matches ParadokS 12.000 logins. So from that you would have a good idea that it was probably me faking
No ip's were actually disclosed this way, you would just be able to see what nicks were used and how many times, from the same ip.
Ofcourse you could change your IP if you really wanted to fake, but it was a good tool nonetheless, and very easy to setup.

I'm not sure if it had other ways to check than IP, it's just what I remember.
ready!
2012-09-04, 10:35
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Is there a reason for typed links not getting clickable in the forum? i.e. http://www.quakeworld.nu turns out as pure text.

A nightmare example is this topic: Useful links
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-09-04, 10:40
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I also think the authentication system proposed by Cara deserves its own thread as it requires server side changes aswell?

Also similar things have been discussed before.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-09-04, 11:04
245 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
I also think the authentication system proposed by Cara deserves its own thread as it requires server side changes aswell?

Ake Vader wrote:
Is there a reason for typed links not getting clickable in the forum? i.e. http://www.quakeworld.nu turns out as pure text.

Come on, stop flooding the system.

Besides that, login and such is lame, and for the record, i will stop faking, and 'rachel' is rakke.
Everything started when i came back and we had the same teamsays with 'rak', people started to think i was rakke and vice versa.
people started talked finnish to me and swedish to rakke and both got upset. :-)
Funny mixes though when rakke reported ra lost and i reported ra safe.
2012-09-04, 16:37
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Ake Vader wrote:

Yeah there's a reason: It's really complex to implement correctly taking every other possible bb-code into consideration, so we skipped it. Rather not have it then a semi broken feature.

Solution:
Use [url]-tags if you want to create links
2012-09-04, 18:57
223 posts

Aug 2011
Ake Vader wrote:

I looked and looked and I couldnīt find a suitable place for it in the forums, and this Feature Requests thread came closest. Maybe I should have made another one, but wasnīt sure under what topic.
2012-09-04, 19:45
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
empezar wrote:
I agree with mipa.

If there's been five new posts in ONE thread, make it one update and link to the first unread post.

Done.
2012-09-04, 19:47
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
leopold wrote:
The links generated when clicking update, I would like to be able to open them in another tab by using mouse3 (or right click->open in new tab), doesn't work
atm. in firefox 14.01, linux, amd64.

Fixed! The lists in Updates, Search and Profile now acts as links and can be opened in tabs etc.
  92 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page