User panel stuff on forum
  25 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2012-07-12, 18:45
88 posts

Dec 2008
My idea - to create most easy qw-pack for newbies, that can be used to "play just downloaded" with no worries like configuring display or even installing game. And in same time it can solve most troubles with hardware by just mouseclick.

Main feature in launcher - running ezquake in desktop resolution and frequency (by default).

Laucher have next options:
- nickname in game and in tp_messages
- moving keys setup (wsad|edsf)
- jumping keys (mouse1-3 or spacebar)
- primary (rl) weapon autoselect and fire (mouse1-3 or spacebar)
- secondary (lg) weapon autoselect and fire (mouse1-3 or spacebar)
- rendering quality option
- mouse sensitivity regulator and Y-inversion option
- dynamic light option
- fpslimiter
- sound volume regulator
- display resolution and vertical frequency selection
- priority selection

Launcher can be downloaded here and placed near ezquake-gl.exe:

English version
Russ version

If you have some good ideas, how to make qw-pack and launcher more newbies-friendly,
say it here and it will be done.

(Edited 2012-07-17, 04:54)
http://qw2.ru - my servers and demos collection since 1999 via ftp :>
2012-07-12, 21:03
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Does the "full pack" contain pak1.pak? If so, you can't post it on these forums.
Servers: Troopers
2012-07-13, 05:25
88 posts

Dec 2008
Havent seen any forbidden rules... on your forum.
offtopic: this new site engine sucks - cant' even remember my ip like it was before, and i lost my avatar and my signature does not apear at all...

(Edited 2012-07-13, 05:29)
2012-07-13, 08:56
1329 posts

Apr 2006
The rules of the old forum, even if they were missing for a while, still apply here, so I digged them up and put them up on feedback forum here.

So no, you are still not allowed to link and distribute programs/software illegally on this forum.
2012-07-13, 17:24
Hello

i think the laucher is a great feature. The noobs will prolly think its very helpful.
So, i think you should focus all your effort on its development, and forget the "qw-pack".

The launcher can be *greatly* improved imo. The concept has great potential, and i think it should be explored, depending on your availability.

wishes:
* clean interface
* the more advanced features are "hidden"
* it remembers your configuration
* always ensure backups of user files (config.cfg) are made

Features:
* redefine keys, in a point and click fashion
http://www.computerhope.com/help/qwerty.gif

example, the user clicks on a key, and then chooses from a list of aliases what to bind to that key. the list of aliases must have a descriptive name for each alias. All aliases should be listed, teamsays, rjump, weapon selection, etc.
* since this is made for newbies, and they don't know the details of the game, in first use, ask the user a couple of questions (like a wizard): example "do you have a NVIDIA card?" -> if yes, the launcher knows "r_dynamic 1" can be used. several other questions can be made.
* options neatly separated by tabs, like the options menu on ezquake. Most popular options are visible, other details are hidden.
* charset selection (reads all files on /charset folder and displays a thumbernail of each one);

etc etc. i have more ideas. tell me what you think and if you have time to do it.
hugs,
mushi!
2012-07-13, 17:24
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Hello

i think the laucher is a great feature. The noobs will prolly think its very helpful.
So, i think you should focus all your effort on its development, and forget the "qw-pack".

The launcher can be *greatly* improved imo. The concept has great potential, and i think it should be explored, depending on your availability.

wishes:
* clean interface
* the more advanced features are "hidden"
* it remembers your configuration
* always ensure backups of user files (config.cfg) are made

Features:
* redefine keys, in a point and click fashion
http://www.computerhope.com/help/qwerty.gif

example, the user clicks on a key, and then chooses from a list of aliases what to bind to that key. the list of aliases must have a descriptive name for each alias. All aliases should be listed, teamsays, rjump, weapon selection, etc.
* since this is made for newbies, and they don't know the details of the game, in first use, ask the user a couple of questions (like a wizard): example "do you have a NVIDIA card?" -> if yes, the launcher knows "r_dynamic 1" can be used. several other questions can be made.
* options neatly separated by tabs, like the options menu on ezquake. Most popular options are visible, other details are hidden.
* charset selection (reads all files on /charset folder and displays a thumbernail of each one);

etc etc. i have more ideas. tell me what you think and if you have time to do it.
hugs,
mushi!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-07-14, 06:21
Renzo, sure i agree with this rule, forgot about my customs in pak1.pak.

Mushi, of course launcher stores configuration and even dont ask about it. Need to make different config file when launcher is used so its can be independent settings with direct executing ezquake.

I think define keys for messages no needed for newbies, that advanced player custom can be done via game menu.

Good idea to autodetect videocard settings.

Now main work is - clean interface with tabs (neved tryed it .
2012-07-14, 06:33
88 posts

Dec 2008
Renzo, i agree with this rule - i just forgot about my customs in pak1.pak.
Off: Now i just lost whole message because i got logged off while i typed message.

Mushi, got some tips from you.
1. Launcher must have independent settings from direct run ezquake.exe. Profiles needed ?
2. Launcher will autodetect videocard settings.
3. Create "Tabs" interface (never tryed it

Keyboard aliases bindings no needed for newbies imho, charset selection - not easy to do, so its not now.

Want to see more ideas

UPD: new version is ready.

(Edited 2012-07-14, 08:19)
2012-07-16, 10:44
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
Off: Now i just lost whole message because i got logged off while i typed message.

same happened to me while i was writing the last msg. This forum isn't good.
Also, when logging in, it goes to front page, instead of remembering the last page. arghh..

the ideas will flow =)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2012-07-16, 21:40
375 posts

Sep 2009
NICE! very helpful to bring new players!
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2012-07-19, 10:34
88 posts

Dec 2008
Did a clean qw-pack with my launcher:
ftp://qw:qw@ftp.zachem.org/Download_QW/QuakeWorld.zip

(Edited 2012-07-22, 12:52)
2012-07-19, 14:27
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Seriously, why make it an executable file?
2012-07-19, 15:46
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
Making a full QW package just to add a launcher is totally unnecessary imho. I haven't tried it myself, but if you aim to perfect this application, maybe then it could be distributed with the already established package nQuake for rookies to quickly get started.

Follow mushi's sound advices.
2012-07-20, 02:33
375 posts

Sep 2009
keep it up man! i'm building a NICE ONE here also, gonna release some time soon!
[an little sized In-Game "Server Browser", to appear in front of ezQuake, (overlaying), updating all the favorite servers, it will unite much more players to 2on2, 3on3, 4on4]

(sometimes there's lots of 1on1 happening, couse you don't know, or doesn't want to check, who is playing at others servers/ports)

IT'S GONNA BE NICE!
(just can't find a way, yet, to make it OVERLAY ezQuake "OpenGL".... but for now I'll release the app with an external app, that make it happen)
2012-07-20, 10:58
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
The new version is better.
You see, the "launcher" is not just a launcher anymore, it's a configuration tool that launches ezquake.

I think the community would take more benefit from your tool if you:

* place it on github and qw-dev.net and release the source code
* focus on qw's configuration options.

What i would like to see here is a config editor. a graphical config editor for nQuake. I think you used .NET to do it, and that's fine, since most ppl that has troubles with qw configs are windows users.

If you want to follow this path, there's some questions that must be answered
* is it only for ezquake? (i think it should be - maybe later add support for FTE and fodquake)
* what does the application do? creates a .cfg file that the user exec's? or writes directly to config.cfg (or other) - i think this should be an option.
* is it meant mainly for newbies? I think this is the main issue. Details below:

I think the target user should be the nQuake user. a newbie that has some knowledge, but not much qw knowledge. and the program's features should focus on that
I also think the program should have an options menu, and asks the following:
* ask the user a couple of questions about his hardware (to be able to recommend settings);
* ask the user whats the nQuake folder he wishes to use with the "launcher";
* ask the user which is the executable to launch;
* ask the user which is its config file (under /configs);
and a bunch of behavior options.

For now, this is enough
as i said before, i think it has potential, and worths the effort. keep up the good work!

(Edited 2012-07-20, 11:11)
2012-07-20, 11:17
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Honestly I am always disappointed to see some tool like this. Why? Because it kind of suggests that the default settings of nQuake and/or the Options menu in ezQuake are not good enough. That is a legitimate thing to say, I am not suggesting those are perfect or can't be improved.
But why nobody points out what exactly is the problem there, what exactly is the reason for this tool? Could the standard menus / configs be improved? If not, why? If yes, how?
2012-07-20, 12:02
88 posts

Dec 2008
Dimman, did zip-file:
ftp://qw:qw@qw2.ru/Download_QW/QuakeWorld.zip

Swing, i did package for rookies that allows them to start playing instantly.
If someone want just look what is it (QW) - he won't waste time to tune right resolution, check 10000-display settings etc, he want just check game and drop it it he does not like this.
My pack created for them, to make "first look" on game better and increase probability of game interesting.

Wernerml, thank you for coming
I personally want better to have autospam in game about starting|ending games.

Mushi, i dont think that sourcecode needed for anyone, because it no need much time to create this launcher, but i can give it to anyone.
And one more thing: all thoose options have in game, so make additional options in launcher means do same job that completed in ezq client and make launcher more complex to overview. And that goes versus my idea, it will be different complex project if i will have enough time.

Launcher have builtin config and just changing variables.
When you press start game button, launcher remembers all own options (\ezquake\configs\starter.cfg) and then generates in \ezquake\configs\config.2cfg and start ezquake-gl.exe with parameter +cfg_load config2.cfg

Dont think that option needed here - you can always use any of 2 different configs: first with direct ezquake.exe start and second with qw-starter.exe.
I think its possible to make some changes to allow this laucher run not only ezquake.

JohnNy_cz, its just simple way to make game more easy for rookies.

(Edited 2012-07-20, 12:05)
2012-07-20, 12:27
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Quote:

JohnNy_cz, its just simple way to make game more easy for rookies.

I disagree.

The easiest thing for noobies is to have something that launches using single exe (nQuake) and that requires absolutely nothing else (nQuake). Your tool requires user input, therefore it's not easier than say, nQuake, which has everything pre-configured.

As for the "for rookies" part, look how many rookies we have gained in the past year (one? two?). The rookie card has no longer any effect on it, it has been used for so many times and it has never increased the size of the scene, which is boring as hell in nowadays standards (only few maps, one gamemode being played, "outdated" graphics).

(Edited 2012-07-20, 12:33)
2012-07-21, 03:05
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
c'mon Renzo, could you be any more boring? Cheer up for once.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2012-07-21, 03:05
88 posts

Dec 2008
Renzo, my launcher does not need a user input, everything preconfigured and autodetected.

And i know why we dont have many rookies - its really hard to get newbies, because its not simple to tune qw, even know about exiting ezquake-client and download it and tune million-options, else its not playable versus modern players. You think nquake and modern 3d-efects can saves us like jesus... well i dont think so.

One thing that makes qw very interesting for any - is a speed. Its only one, not graphics, not new maps or shaders, all about speed. Imho its all wasting time to build nquake, camquake, ftequake and rest... better remove bugs from ezq.

JohnNy_cz, i wanted to see some more response from our development-team. I asked about few things in software ezq year or two ago, i dont got it. Some weeks ago, my mate Urban asked you to do copy-ability for web-adresses, you told its sooooo complex. Funny that typing 1-string parser now count like complex job.
And after all you ask what the hell we are not asked for you to make feature in client... i think now you can understand.
2012-07-21, 04:01
375 posts

Sep 2009
Let's maintain peace gentleman! we are all here at the SAME COUSE: keep the game ALIVE, and if possible, bring new players, or re-activate some old ones...

I think what some people here were trying to say, maybe, is that: QW is NOT an EASY configurable GAME, by it's CORE.. and maybe, if a newbie-rookie-childish-PC-NOOB, is trying to start playing, maybe he WILL HAVE to understand by himself a little of the configs, binds, speedjump, sensitivity, team communications, etc.. etc...

I can't say much about the ideas posted here, couse I never used nQuake (never had to), but one idea that I think wasn't acomplished yet, is the CONFIG EDITOR/MAKER thing... that would be NICE!

Let's unite ourselves into the same couse!
(and also, I would be very happy to help with ezQuake development, but my programming skills are not in this level yet.. that's why i'm making these "external" apps here... in AutoHotkey language)

(Edited 2012-07-21, 04:02)
2012-07-21, 10:14
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Quote:

c'mon Renzo, could you be any more boring? Cheer up for once.

Yes, I can be more boring, but it will get as off-topic as it can, so:

[offtopic rant]
I know for a fact that I'm really bored playing same two (or three) maps again and again when I actually try/want to play some QW. I already dropped dmm4 because noone ever plays anything but end and pov, which is even more boring than the millionth dm4 or dm2. Not only that, there are certain players who only play dmm4 and refuse any other game mode, like 2on2.

Guess how rookies feel when they get owned by us 10 years+ played players for a year or two, in the same damn two maps over and over again, before they even start having a chance? Also, why would any seasoned veteran even go play any rookie, before this particular rookie has learned how to play qw properly? It's just useless (and very boring) rape before that, yet I still see certain players doing even that.

Tbh there is nothing wrong with the game itself, it is us players who refuse to play more than 1 or 2 maps that make this scene (well, the game actually) boring, and it is the only reason I'm involving myself with QW less and less as the time goes.
[/offtopic rant]

(Edited 2012-07-21, 10:18)
2012-07-23, 10:40
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Spzman: well, what can I say - yes, our development team is not very active recently. But you cannot compare answering software renderer related questions and the will to make ezQuake more friendly for newcomers. We have different priorities for different things.

Anyway, my feedback:
ESDF/WASD is absolutely unimportant decision, it should NOT be the first thing you throw into newcomers face. I personally use ESDF, but when I am going to play a new game, I do not care at all, that it is gonna default to WASD.

Also, is it really necessary to have autodetection and stuff only because of buggy r_dynamic 1? Isn't it easier to just simply disable it? I mean, does it really add so much to the graphics that it is necessary to bother the newcomer with such questions and decisions? Also many of newbs nowadays don't even know what is the vendor of their graphics card. Also the autodetect button does not seem to do anything. I mean, maybe it does, I have NVIDIA and it left dynamic lights on, but it certainly didn't say anything (I'd expect something like "You seem to have NVIDIA card. Dynamic lights will be enabled." )

(Edited 2012-07-23, 10:41)
2012-07-25, 18:31
88 posts

Dec 2008
JohnNy_cz, i dont want blame you on your support, you dont get money for programming for qw and that why you may do anything you like. You are a king of QW, you can rule players, and noone can point to you.

I did this selection (edsf|wsad) in first place not because of keyboard, but because of jump key, some like spacebar, some mouse2. And sure you are right, now its wsad by default.

Autodetect does r_dynamic detection and drops resolution settings like on desktop. I dont think that i need to disable it, because its solved by only 1 string. And now user does not need to be smart in video-hardware to play in pro qw-settings, imho thats good.

I personally like programs, that do not show me basic notations and dont ask me stupid questions if its not necessary, so im sorry for no reporting about program mechanics.

P.S. BTW i wanted to see message "Now youre a in test team, and your feelings are faking with antlag reality splitting!". But a king did it by a own desire, leave no choice
2012-08-02, 01:50
375 posts

Sep 2009
NEW APP:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9126/qwserversnotifiersimple.png

More info & Download at:
QWServers-Notifier v1.1

(Edited 2012-08-03, 09:46)
  25 posts on 1 page  1