User panel stuff on forum
  73 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
Client Talk
2012-12-29, 21:30
364 posts

Oct 2006
One more present from the good Santa: gpl-e3m7-santa.zip

Santa said it took him a long time to produce this one as he handed me the thumb drive with the file. "You whippersnappers think all the magic happens just kinda happens by itself," he said, "but it's not that easy at all! My four cores got red hot while generating this!" Then he grumbled something about "emdee for collisions" and "randomness" or some magical gibberish like that. I have no idea what he was talking about, I think the old man is getting on a bit...
2012-12-29, 23:39
286 posts

Sep 2012
Well he sure worked a lot, I hope you thanked him enough !
2012-12-30, 05:10
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
OMG e3m7

Added to nQuake and nQuakesv.
2012-12-30, 19:07
364 posts

Oct 2006
gpl-dmxplus-santa.zip

Included are:

dm1.bsp
dm2.bsp
dm3.bsp
dm4.bsp
dm5.bsp
dm6.bsp
e1m2.bsp
e2m2.bsp
e3m7.bsp
end.bsp

This zip integrates all the compatible-checksum GPL maps that I have released so far, and adds dm2..dm6 and e1m2. They are virtually identical to the AquaShark pack-based maps I released earlier this year, I just hacked them to make checksums match the vanilla maps. This is useful mostly for nQuakesv: you can set allow_download_maps 1, and should someone with a client other than ezQuake download one of the maps, they won't end up with a map that other servers would reject.

Oh, and of course all these maps can now be used for online play in QW clients other than ezQuake.
2012-12-30, 20:11
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
What happens if you have pak1.pak AND these files in id1\maps?
2012-12-30, 20:23
364 posts

Oct 2006
Pak always files override non-pak files in the same gamedir. In other words, if you have GPL maps as individual bsps id1/maps, the engine will switch to using pak1 maps as soon as you drop pak1.pak there.

The same logic is used for both map loading and sendings downloads to clients.

But I'm not sure what will happen if you have the GPL maps in a pak/pk3.
2012-12-30, 21:55
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Tonik wrote:
Pak always files override non-pak files in the same gamedir. In other words, if you have GPL maps as individual bsps id1/maps, the engine will switch to using pak1 maps as soon as you drop pak1.pak there.

The same logic is used for both map loading and sendings downloads to clients.

But I'm not sure what will happen if you have the GPL maps in a pak/pk3.

What if the maps are put in qw/maps then?

I don't want to turn on download_pakmaps.
2012-12-30, 22:36
364 posts

Oct 2006
Anything in qw/ always overrides anything in id1/ so I guess it's not what you want.

Why can't you just put actual bsps in id1/maps?
2012-12-30, 22:44
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Tonik wrote:
Anything in qw/ always overrides anything in id1/ so I guess it's not what you want.

Why can't you just put actual bsps in id1/maps?

Maybe I wasn't very clear. I'm talking about nQuakesv.

I would prefer if users who don't have pak1.pak downloads the GPL maps. It would be more legal.

Is there a problem if the GPL maps are used by the server instead of the ID maps?
2012-12-30, 22:54
364 posts

Oct 2006
empezar wrote:

Maybe I wasn't very clear. I'm talking about nQuakesv.

I would prefer if users who don't have pak1.pak downloads the GPL maps. It would be more legal.

Sure. If they don't have pak1.pak, download the GPL maps and put them into id1/maps/ as individual bsps. If you worry about download times, download a zip and unzip it.

empezar wrote:
Is there a problem if the GPL maps are used by the server instead of the ID maps?

As far as gameplay is concerned, there's no difference whatsoever. If you don't allow downloading, no one will ever know what maps the server is using.
2012-12-31, 08:28
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Yes. But it's not very user friendly to force people to download the GPL maps manually.

If I run a server with this setup:

id1\pak0.pak
id1\pak1.pak
qw\maps\<gpl maps>

And a client connects without pak1.pak and without gpl maps. I would like the user to automatically download the GPL maps from the server.

I'm wondering if this is possible?
2012-12-31, 11:00
364 posts

Oct 2006
empezar wrote:
Yes. But it's not very user friendly to force people to download the GPL maps manually.

I thought we were talking about the nQuakesv installer.

empezar wrote:

If I run a server with this setup:

id1\pak0.pak
id1\pak1.pak
qw\maps\<gpl maps>

And a client connects without pak1.pak and without gpl maps. I would like the user to automatically download the GPL maps from the server.

Oh. That's exactly what will happen (also if you have GPL maps in a pak in qw/). A client requesting a download will receive a GPL map from qw/. And the server will use GPL maps internally, too -- for all you care.

So yes, this looks like the setup you want. Sorry for being a slowpoke
2012-12-31, 11:49
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Great! I've updated nQuakesv to put GPL maps in qw/maps/ instead.
  73 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page