Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
http://ss.dafaq.se/2556ezquake004.png.html

That one is missing as well.
2012-08-22, 00:13
28 posts

Oct 2011
Download from QPR site last texture update. There fix texture bug on dm3 and other.
2012-08-22, 07:09
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I fixed the dm3 textures!

Please report any more texture bugs!

(Edited 2012-08-22, 07:44)
2012-08-22, 12:57
28 posts

Oct 2011
I remember this bug on e1m2 too
2012-08-22, 13:05
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Please include a screenshot.

Also, e1m2 is not a GPL map, and it therefore uses the original texture where high-res textures are missing. So it's not as big a problem. But I would like to fix it.
2012-08-22, 14:04
28 posts

Oct 2011
Here:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6012/2002010100001.jpg
but i fix it.
2012-10-18, 12:43
14 posts

Jan 2006
Tuna just gave me this link to the original maps, that he compiled:
https://github.com/fzwoch/quake_map_source

He's using downsized QRP textures.

Perhaps this is another step towards an "Official Community All Maps Release"?
The guy from #qwnet with the ServeMe bots. Also, #aq2world in case anyone cares. ;-)
2012-10-18, 13:34
14 posts

Jan 2006
QRP FAQ tells me:
Quote:

* What is the license on the textures and can I use the textures for commercial as well as non-commercial usage?
- The textures are copyright by their respective authors and, collectively, this project. These textures are free to use in any project, be it commercial or non-commercial, on the condition that the work or the derivative product mentions the URL (http://qrp.quakeone.com) and name of this project (Quake Revitalization Project) in the credits. In case your project does not have a suitable credits section, you must include with your product a file titled "read-me" or "licensing". No exceptions. For any further questions, contact us.

So, as far as I can tell, it's ok to compile the GPL map source files with QRP textures _inside_, as long as we give credit to QRP and release the map files, because of the small modifications on them (probably release map files on nquake site).
So, it's no problem with the GPL either. .

The compiled bsp-files are to be distributed by our own terms, by whatever license you want. Like every map out there.

Why are "we" taking so long to compile the official community pak?
The guy from #qwnet with the ServeMe bots. Also, #aq2world in case anyone cares. ;-)
2012-10-18, 14:32
14 posts

Jan 2006
@empezar: Use .bsp which have textures inside. Don't fiddle around with external textures, as this can get error prone.

And on another note: Why do you want different lighting now already? Isn't that something for a later "overlay" project after we're sure we can distribute "original looking maps" freely?
2012-10-18, 19:13
1100 posts

Jan 2006
leileilol's stance on the QRP textures is that they are copyright infringing because at least some were drawn upon the originals, not done from scratch. I am just relaying that.
2012-10-18, 21:30
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Haudrauf wrote:
@empezar: Use .bsp which have textures inside. Don't fiddle around with external textures, as this can get error prone.

And on another note: Why do you want different lighting now already? Isn't that something for a later "overlay" project after we're sure we can distribute "original looking maps" freely?

I can use bsps with textures inside if I can get confirmation that it's OK GPL wise.

What's wrong with external textures? Error prone? What?
2012-10-19, 06:09
344 posts

Nov 2006
My take on this was to create something that was intended to substitute the originals. From a modern point of view it's perfectly fine to solve this differently. So using external textures is fine. If you have full control over the complete package you should be safe.

Having old school textures put into the bsps may come with some other benefits. You should be able to throw them at QWCL 2.3 or any other engine that does not support high res textures but still get some nice looking levels. Also I have never checked how it looks like but what happens with software rendering clients when they try to load high res textures? My bet would be that they fall back on the low res 8 bit palette textures found in the bsp..

As for the legal concerns I don't see any way around as to discuss this with the QRP guys. First you want them to comment on if they are fine with releasing that stuff under the GPL - which their license kind of indicate but you want to be sure here. The potential copyright infringement claims may be more difficult to answer but let the QRP team respond on the point being made. I have no idea on the artistic side when something is considered a copy of something else. ThIs isn't a real GPL issue as the original data never was released under such license. So the so often used term "deriative work" of the GPL license may not apply in this case. I guess you will never get a definite "OK" until someone goes to court over this one.
2012-10-19, 07:22
14 posts

Jan 2006
People have to differ between license and project (or product).

QRP(-project) says on the webby: It's ok to have it in any commercial project or anywhere.
In case, that QRP is all made from scratch by their artists, then it won't be a problem to compile the textures anywhere. Let's call this, the "QRP-license".
It doesn't matter if it's included in the "resulting pieces" of a project that is GPL'ed, commercial or in whatever-license.
The QRP-license is not per default "GPL compatible", because you are not allowed to modify the textures (source files) and release them. The grade of modification depends, however. But, then again and of course, you may include and compile them in your GPL'ed project.

If people say, the QRP(-project! Not -license.) infringes copyright, and if that is true, then, of course, it's not a good idea to put these textures anywhere!

And about the GPL release of the maps by Romero: The _source_ of the maps are GPL'ed. Thus, if you modify or create derivative work from these map files, you have to release the modified map files publicly. The resulting work, so to say, the bsp files, are released on the servers anyways and don't necessarily stand under GPL license. Of course, they are released publicly anyways.

Back: Using QRP textures is allowed, as the QRP-license states: "it's allowed to be used anywhere as long as you credit us." Using QRP-licensed pieces inside the resulting work of a GPL'ed project is allowed. Of course you can't say "these textures are now GPL" in your project. That's all.

But again: If the QRP infringes copyright, don't use it in a GPL-project. This will give us problems.

And I second Tuna; asking the QRP guys is always a good idea.
2012-10-19, 10:05
14 posts

Jan 2006
empezar wrote:
What's wrong with external textures? Error prone? What?

I think, we let client download these maps when connectiing to the servers. That's the whole point: freely distributable and easy for beginners.
Since most clients only download the bsp files, what happens if people don't have the textures then? The whine will be big.

I've been playing ActionQuake2, a mod for Q2, quite a while. And there, the map packages are zip files, because the BSPs of Q2 do not include textures.
The plus of this was, that other mapping guys could only release their single bsp file and have the textures already on the clients, when they only used q2 original textures on their map.
But, the more people rely on external, custom made, textures, noone will actually have them installed.
I've seen the trouble of people getting the textures together. But mostly, they evaded playing the maps. Even tools began to emerge, that helped packaging map-zip-files - with the result, that some maps were even illegal to distribute, because they infringed copyright packaging original q2 textures.

It's a mess ...
2012-10-19, 14:38
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I can't mix GPL with non-GPL. Compiling GPL maps with non-GPL textures is not going to happen. I'm a lot more worried about GPL zealots than Id coming and saying "Hey you used our textures for inspiration! We will sue your ass!" because the latter ain't gonna happen.

And as for the external texture talk. This hasn't been an issue in the QW community, ever. I doubt it will become an issue now.
2012-10-19, 16:08
14 posts

Jan 2006
They will only come if you don't supply the new .map-files along.
2012-10-19, 16:59
344 posts

Nov 2006
Well, good question. So I made the .wad files with scaled down and palette converted textures from their work. I tried to comply with their license in that respect that I give them proper credit in the README file. I wouldn't mind releasing this under the GPL. However the QRP license does not explicit allow or deny redistributing the derivative work under another license. It just mentions you can use it for commercial or non-commercial products. Whether that implies an allowed change in terms of licensing I have no idea. Or how would a commercial use of this look like? The license however encourages to ask for further questions. Ask them if its ok for them to distribute the derivative .wad files under the GPL. If they agree you are good to go (unless you question the QRP project by itself) or they deny - we are dead. Simple as that. Or I may ask them myself - but maybe you want to get a reply first hand?
2012-11-16, 08:59
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Can someone send me the gpl version of "end"? I can add it to nQuake as "end2.bsp".
2012-11-22, 16:27
357 posts

Mar 2006
I just rebuilt the end map with flat textures using BSP, TexMex, and Gimp.

http://www.quakeone.com/qrack/maps/end2.bsp

Odd thing though, theres actually an exit teleporter room up by the teleport ledge by the rl lava pit. It only is open during deathmatch but I've never seen this room before. I dunno maybe it was an addition or omission before the maps were gpl'd... :|

EDIT: wow ya i just noclipped in the original end.bsp and that teleporter room isnt there! WOWza!

edit2: When playing this map the game will not end when u kill shubby. I think because the actual QuakeC code checks the level name 'end' before it does the finale centerprint messages...
2012-11-25, 23:04
364 posts

Oct 2006
A GPL version of end, made possible by Baker5, SputnikUtah and me. Exit room removed. Colored lightmap integrated.

http://bukva-yo.ru/gpl-end-fixed.zip

The checksum has changed, so this won't work in current ezQuakes. A small patch is needed:

In common.c, find the line containing "end" and add this line:

{ "end", 0xbbd4b4a5, 0x924f4d33 },

EDIT: this is irrelevant now because we have an end.bsp with the same checksum as the vanilla map, see post below.

(Edited 2012-12-29, 01:52)
2012-11-25, 23:28
364 posts

Oct 2006
GPL e2m2:

http://bukva-yo.ru/gpl-e2m2.zip

ezQuake checksum entry in common.c:
{ "e2m2", 0xaf961d4d, 0xa23126c5 },

I don't currently have access to ezQuake repositories so someone else will have to add the checksums for e2m2 and end.
2012-12-29, 01:50
364 posts

Oct 2006
No one releases new ezQuake versions anymore, so the prospects of a GPL end.bsp making its way into nQuake looked bleak. What can I do? What can I do? I kept asking myself.

Then on Christmas' eve I thought, what the heck? I should ask Santa to do something about it! Yes, I know, silly but...

GUESS WHAT I GOT FROM SANTA THE NEXT DAY?

A new GPL end.bsp whose checksum exactly matches that of the vanilla map!!! Woohoo!!! You can use it to play on any public server, with any QW client!

http://bukva-yo.ru/gpl-end-fixed2.zip

This can be included in nQuake now!
2012-12-29, 07:49
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Tonik wrote:
No one releases new ezQuake versions anymore, so the prospects of a GPL end.bsp making its way into nQuake looked bleak. What can I do? What can I do? I kept asking myself.

Then on Christmas' eve I thought, what the heck? I should ask Santa to do something about it! Yes, I know, silly but...

GUESS WHAT I GOT FROM SANTA THE NEXT DAY?

A new GPL end.bsp whose checksum exactly matches that of the vanilla map!!! Woohoo!!! You can use it to play on any public server, with any QW client!

http://bukva-yo.ru/gpl-end-fixed2.zip

This can be included in nQuake now!

Tonik for president
2012-12-29, 10:06
50 posts

Oct 2009
Is it me, or has Quakeworld seen A LOT of improvement in the last 6 months or so? Awesome piece of news!
2012-12-29, 10:27
364 posts

Oct 2006
Another present from Santa: gpl-e2m2-santa.zip
2012-12-29, 10:45
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
You're on a streak.

dm1? e3m7?

I'm adding all this to nQuake and nQuakesv now.
2012-12-29, 12:03
364 posts

Oct 2006
Santa says "maybe later today"
2012-12-29, 12:48
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
End map added to nQonline.
2012-12-29, 19:25
364 posts

Oct 2006