User panel stuff on forum
  7 posts on 1 page  1
Off Topic
2012-03-02, 20:50
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Which internet service provider is the best one in Sweden currently when it comes to routing/ping, (lack of) lag, stability and service? Is Comhem a viable option? I think they were not popular a few years ago as people were having packetloss and what not...

Any input is appreciated.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2012-03-02, 23:01
231 posts

Jan 2006
Tele2 is pretty nice and stable (southern Sweden)

12ms on foppa
12ms on pangela
25 in finland and so on...

/Jon
2012-03-03, 11:28
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
Depends what kind of ComHem connection you get. If ComHem cable-modem, then it is a BIG NO-GO! ComHem frequently oversells their capacity and does nothing to change that, as the avarage swede will feel no difference. Even newer games like StarCraft 2 isn't severely hurt by packetloss, but packetloss makes quakeworld unplayable.

I've had ComHem cablemodem XXL 100/10mbit/s for a few years now and it's horrible, and basically unplayable during traffic hours (like, 16:00-00:00 when people are home from work). Packetloss varies between 0-70%, with 6-30 being the most common amount.

After talking to ComHem about it for about a year, they've finally given up on their bullshit and confessed that they have simply oversold their capacity (in my area) and that a reconstruction is necessary to fix the problem which is a lot of work (no shit since it hasn't been fixed for 2 years).

Bottomline: get a fibre-connection, preferably 100/100mbit would be my advice. Not entirely sure which ISP is the best for that though, but you should think more about the connection you get than what ISP provides it.

Also, remember that ADSL might be the best choice for quake sometimes, if you're close to a station :-) Although you won't get very high speeds with that though, but you'll have a dedicated connection yourself and most likely not suffer from packetloss.

But yeah, I can't wait for my fibre-connection that arrives in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully I'll be all cleared of lag after that :-)

Yours,
Andeh
2012-03-03, 11:37
231 posts

Jan 2006
Andeh wrote:
Depends what kind of ComHem connection you get. If ComHem cable-modem, then it is a BIG NO-GO! ComHem frequently oversells their capacity and does nothing to change that, as the avarage swede will feel no difference. Even newer games like StarCraft 2 isn't severely hurt by packetloss, but packetloss makes quakeworld unplayable.

I've had ComHem cablemodem XXL 100/10mbit/s for a few years now and it's horrible, and basically unplayable during traffic hours (like, 16:00-00:00 when people are home from work). Packetloss varies between 0-70%, with 6-30 being the most common amount.

After talking to ComHem about it for about a year, they've finally given up on their bullshit and confessed that they have simply oversold their capacity (in my area) and that a reconstruction is necessary to fix the problem which is a lot of work (no shit since it hasn't been fixed for 2 years).

Bottomline: get a fibre-connection, preferably 100/100mbit would be my advice. Not entirely sure which ISP is the best for that though, but you should think more about the connection you get than what ISP provides it.

Also, remember that ADSL might be the best choice for quake sometimes, if you're close to a station :-) Although you won't get very high speeds with that though, but you'll have a dedicated connection yourself and most likely not suffer from packetloss.

But yeah, I can't wait for my fibre-connection that arrives in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully I'll be all cleared of lag after that :-)

Yours,
Andeh

mbit/s has nothing to do with ping... Fiber is preferably yes.

/Jon
2012-03-04, 02:22
125 posts

Jan 2008
I've had shitloads of problem with both Comhem and Tele2 DSL, now I have Tele2 fiber and everything in the world is wonderful. You can even have 1Gb/100mbit if you like
2012-03-04, 08:22
231 posts

Jan 2006
Yepp tele 2 fiber is fantastic!

/Jon
2012-03-04, 11:20
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
jOn wrote:
Andeh wrote:

Yours,
Andeh

mbit/s has nothing to do with ping... Fiber is preferably yes.

/Jon

Humm I guess you misunderstood my post. I never claimed that mbit/s matters - just that it might be preferable since you'll most likely do other things than play quake. The whole part of me saying that I have 100/10 and it's horrible, and that ADSL might even be the best for quake in some situations is sort of selfexplanatory don't you think ^.^
  7 posts on 1 page  1