User panel stuff on forum
  29 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2006-04-22, 08:57
7 posts

Feb 2006
I would like to know if there's any difference playing with inverted mouse? I have played with inverted mouse for 5 years now and I have thought changing it.

Is there any players who have changed their mouse from invert to normal? Have you noticed any difference in game and how long does it take to get used to the normal setting? :> Have your reflexes become any faster or anything? I have always thought it would be faster for my brains to handle if I didn't use invert :e

Thx for answering :>

-Rohva
:e
2006-04-22, 09:15
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
well actually the picture that is sent to your brain is turned upside down, and is then corrected by the brain. so an inverted mouse may be what you call a normal mouse, after all!
2006-04-22, 09:57
626 posts

Jan 2006
invert mouse on, that is reasonable thinking.
When you pull the mouse back, you look up, just like when you look up in the sky, you pull your neck back.
when you look down you put your mouse forward, just like you do with your neck.
2006-04-22, 12:53
135 posts

Jan 2006
phrenic wrote:
When you pull the mouse back, you look up, just like when you look up in the sky, you pull your neck back.

Exactly! When someone doesnt use invert mouse, it's like using mouse in windows (pull mouse back - cursor moves down the screen, pull mouse forward - cursor moves up the screen).
Im using invert mouse and im not going to change it. It's no matter if someone user invert or not, only practise increases your skills.
MAGNUM 44
2006-04-23, 03:41
13 posts

Mar 2006
There has been players at the highest echelons of quake with and without invert mouse. So, in actual practice it doesn't seem to make a difference. However I have noticed a trend that players with invert mouse tend to prefer higher sensitivity, and players without tend to prefer relatively lower sensitivity.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, your average human will find it slightly easier to move the mouse downward accurately than upward. This is probably because most people aren't moving the mouse in a perfectly straight line parallel to the keyboard with their arm. They are using their wrist... at least to some degree... and it is easier to move your wrist into its natural resting position than to move away from it as you would if you moved it "upwards". For right handers this tends to be more to the right of course.
It is important to note that, most gamers when they put their hand on the mouse will place their hand on it at a slight tilt, in the case of right handers, a slight tilt to the right (fingers pointing more to the right). This is why I say that moving it left or "down" moves the wrist towards the natural resting position. Please excuse my poor skills in "paint":

http://myspace-778.vo.llnwd.net/00678/87/79/678639778_l.jpg

So, if moving the mouse 'downwards' is slightly more dexterous, we have to ask ourselves what is more important "in-game"? If there was a certain answer to this then you would know for sure if invert mouse was better on or off. Unfortunately, this is no easy question to answer. Take dm4 for example... it might be just as important to be able to look down quickly (say to rj from bottom to ledge, or shooting from above towards bottom bridge), as it is to shoot upwards from ledge to catch him wtih rockets or lightning, or to hit the ledge spawn. What about aerowalk? If you think about it you'll find that almost any map has roughly an equally important amount of up and down movement, and as I said there's just as many strong players who use it who don't, and this applies throughout gaming history.
In conclusion, use whatever you are used to... because switching is a real whore. I tried for a week once and just thinking about that week seems to bring about a migraine. hehe

-Volshebnik
Волшебник
2006-04-23, 08:15
401 posts

Mar 2006
People who play inverted have nothing to worry about. Plenty of good players are inverted such as Mortuary and the best quake 3 player ever cooller. Uh ok so thats 2 players but you get the point.
2006-04-23, 12:13
7 posts

Feb 2006
Ok, i have just wondered how it would influence in my gameplay. But what i have red in here changing invert mouse off would just be worthless pain in the ass :>
2006-04-23, 12:37
129 posts

Mar 2006
Rohva it'll make no difference at mate, I'm a non inverted player but i made that desicision way back at the start when I first discovered +mlook, just stick with what ur used too and practice practice practice, that's what makes you play better
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-04-23, 13:02
462 posts

Jan 2006
I have always used inverted, non-inverted would feel unnatural.
2006-04-23, 14:36
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I use invert mouse too. You just need to practicepracticepractice. But of course some people will always suck more than others on certain areas no matter what their settings are. My aim is terrible for example.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-04-24, 22:02
248 posts

Jan 2006
hm, its just to start a game and think "now i want to look down" and then do whats most natural for you, then stick with that. (And that is inverted mouse )
2006-04-25, 15:50
35 posts

Mar 2006
phrenic wrote:

But what about the reasoning that your crosshair should be equal to your mousepad? That's how I look at it... just picture the screen on your mousemat, moving down to make the crosshair move down, moving up to make the crosshair move up, etc... that's how I look at it...

btw @ up/down important wrist theory...

Don't aim with your wrist!! Aim with your arm, solves all the problems .
<@Meez> #mor @ quakenet.
2006-04-26, 11:14
3 posts

Mar 2006
when I started out playin quake I was using inverted mouse.. After my short break (7 years) I executed my old config and there was no way in hell I could play inverted anymore... I think as other has posted that there is no difference skillwise to inverted/regular mouse.

Interesting read Volshebnik, never thought of those things before but they were quite accurate on me atleast
2006-04-27, 14:35
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
ehhehe this is an interesting topic since there has been some interesting discussions @ lans about it... we laughed alot because 1/2 players used invert mouse and was a blast making jokes..

my contribution to this topic is:
one friend of mine plays with invert mouse and he can't bunny properly. he doesnt prac also.. but he plays for 9 years and since bunny jumping 1st appeared he never could do it heh, the other day we were on a server and we tried to do a duel with "inverted mouses" he played with "normal" mouse and i played with inverted. was a blast EHEHEHH i recommend it, probably your brain gets tired after 10min but its cool. anyway, he sucked with "normal" mouse BUT he could bunny jump better

i wonder if anyone has any explanatioin for this
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-04-28, 05:52
13 posts

Mar 2006
Probably because he kept accidentally moving the mouse upwards ... trying to look down to rest the crosshair slightly below center. So instead he probably ended up resting the crosshair closer to the center which seems to help with bunny hopping a bit.

Although it is sort of hard to believe that he would actually find bunny hopping (or anything for that matter) 'easier' with the pitch he was used to inverted.

-Volshebnik
&#1042;&#1086;&#1083;&#1096;&#1077;&#1073;&#1085;&#1080;&#1082;
2006-04-28, 10:21
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
i don't know... he's a strange guy
fact is, i could tell he was faster when he got the "normal" mouse.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-04-28, 12:01
7 posts

Feb 2006
Hmm, i play with fast sens so i don't even move my wrist so much most of the movement i do with my fingers. :> Heh, i have never tried to change to non-invert mouse. maybe i should try sometime :>
2006-05-29, 15:28
715 posts

May 2006
If you reason that moving the mouse down/up symbolizes the neck moving up/down, what does right/left represent? The nose?
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2006-08-30, 01:49
46 posts

Jan 2006
It is all preference. KovaaK plays with an inverted y-axis and has one of the best aims in all of gaming.
2006-08-30, 19:56
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
inverted y-axis, ain't that just like normal invert mouse?
2006-08-31, 08:44
46 posts

Jan 2006
I'm being specific. You can play with an inverted x-axis as well. Try setting negative sensitivity.
2006-08-31, 11:27
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
yeah i know about inverted x-axis, but i don't think that would improve anyones aim
2006-08-31, 11:52
46 posts

Jan 2006
Neither does inverted y-axis. It's simply preference.
2006-09-04, 06:07
85 posts

May 2006
only reason i can think i would want inverted mouse is for rj's. flicking down towards you is slightly more restrictive than flicking up and away. ive used both so i can say that it doesnt make a difference to aim etc.. but ive always wondered about the rj. i used non-inverted btw.
2006-10-02, 21:43
69 posts

Feb 2006
non-inverted-4-life
2006-10-02, 23:35
171 posts

Jan 2006
haha def always shining 8) you couldn't just say "INVERTED MOUSE" could you? ;D
.over.and.out.ten.four.roger.that.affirmative.
2006-10-24, 09:29
87 posts

Oct 2006
I've always used inverted and of course anyone who don't are complete idiots.

:-)

Regards,
PaRadiZer
2007-07-10, 03:22
1 post

Jul 2007
PaRadiZer wrote:
I've always used inverted and of course anyone who don't are complete idiots.

:-)

Regards,
PaRadiZer

---

yeah dude... I'm with you!
--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--.--
Never underestimate the cow's power.
[QiB] Quakers In Black
2007-07-10, 04:21
401 posts

Mar 2006
Inverted should be default.