Capture the Flag
2012-03-02, 07:13
139 posts

Feb 2011
runes should be off imo, other than that, great games last night
2012-03-02, 08:35
188 posts

May 2007
Imo, it is a bit too early to turn off runes. I want to test them out, when there is really some strategy and some teamplay involved. Yesterday most games were really fun, but they were mostly with a FFA approach. I am sure that the runes will add some depth to the game, like denying the opponent access to them, swapping them with team members, playing the role which is most appropriate to your rune (if someone is defending the base it should be the player with Strength and not the one with Haste).

Like I said, Mushi and I will work on some stuff, that will allow us to play a bit more strategic. I am pretty sure, that as soon as we developed some tactics and have some routine, the runes won't bring that much chaos to the game any longer.
2012-03-02, 11:22
11 posts

Oct 2010
Quote:
nix :
Yes, in the end, I want it to be like CTF is in Q3 and QL. Playwise as similar to TDM as possible.

Even when you want it as TDM as possible, typical DM players must keep in mind that CTF is not TDM.
Invest some time in it... play DMish, then you discover while playing how to do some things different That learning curve is fun.

I also want to tryout this dm-ish CTF of yours, just because it has Flags... and just because I'm not a typically DM player

I would say to keep the runes in it. Then I can live with the fact that you want to take out the hook
Of course it sucks when the enemy team has the 2 most important runes. But thats all part of the CTF universe.
You must take a beating - without whining about those runes - while trying to obtain those runes, and then turn it around.

Quote:
nix :
Like I said, Mushi and I will work on some stuff, that will allow us to play a bit more strategic.

I am pretty sure, that as soon as we developed some tactics and have some routine, the runes won't bring that much chaos to the game any longer.

Hehehe. Chaos ?

Your team switch the focus from base-defending and capturing TO -> base-defending and obtaining runes from the enemy, and after that switch back to capturing.
If the team is succefull is a different story.

You could call it CTR, capture the (important) rune(s) your team does not have, yet.

Strength and Regen, to be used for base defense [ in traditional 4v4 or 5v5 symetric 2-flag ctf that is ]

When your team only has Strength , 1 dedicated defender using it can most of the time defend alone.
Until the enemy does launch a dedicated CTR attack wave
Then the players in the team must switch roles [midfielders becoming extra defenders for the time being...]

You must have fluid position-roles all the time depending how you read the game situation at the moment.
Especially the midfielders.

Communication is very important. Especially for EFC interceptions. (enemy flagcarrier)

Peeps with not the best movement could go defense.
Or create diversions (and probably die a lot) that benefit obtaining the enemy flag. Just being very annoying for the enemy all the time can be a very handy role.

Remember : the objective is capturing the flag.
2012-03-02, 15:33
192 posts

Mar 2006
THE MOST IMPORTANT TASK IS NOT TO DISCUSS ABOUT RUNES OR HOOK, BUT PLAY GAMES !!! PLAY PLAY PLAY, and in the end we all know whats better (runes on/off - hook on/off)
What I really hate about players is, that they leave the game because they dont want to try games with our without the rules they like.
2012-03-04, 19:50
188 posts

May 2007
I updated the original post with all necessary information and some files. Furthermore, we have our own channel now #capture33. So if you are interested in participate, come join us. Last but not least I wrote a small blog entry in which i try to explain some of the backgrounds of this project.
2012-03-05, 10:58
950 posts

Apr 2006
qw-dev.net:28001-28005 have the ctf maps as well, at least the 3 in your archive.

EDIT: typo in ports
2012-03-16, 10:58
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
I've set up a CTF only server at morituri.co.uk:27502 , check it out and let me know on IRC if any changes are needed
2012-03-16, 12:50
950 posts

Apr 2006
I've set up a dedicated port as well on qw-dev.net:28009.
Port 28001-7 can still run in CTF if needed.
2012-03-26, 20:37
29 posts

Jan 2009
i am in!
2012-03-27, 11:18
188 posts

May 2007
Welcome. Just idle on #capture33. Most nights during the week we get some 2on2s or 3on3s going.
  40 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page