User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Maps & Textures
2012-01-06, 15:24
2 posts

Jan 2012
Hi, I'd like to know what it takes to make a new look for an old map? I havn't found any guide for that so far. Is it difficult, what I need for that, do I need some previous experiance?
Where to begin, if I'd like to make new look to End for example? Should I even try this or just give up? I'm not very familiar about working with textures, but I'm really eager to start working with them =) Thanks for help already!

-hope you got my point?
2012-01-06, 18:20
793 posts

Feb 2006
all the standard quake maps such as end, e1m2 dm2 etc all use the same set of textures. they are hidden somewhere in the .pak files that come with the quake installation. in the newer clients those are overwritten with higher res one that use the same filenames. you can get the whole pack at http://qrp.quakeone.com/retexture/ or gfx.quakeworld.nu maybe.

then you figure out which part of the map you want to edit, floor texture for dm2 is metal5_1 for example. so you go ahead and open that in photoshop/gimp..whatever, save, and put it in quake/qw/textures/DM2. that's for ezquake, at least.

hope that helps
2012-01-06, 21:40
303 posts

Jun 2007
I did it that way:

If map already have custom 24-bit texture pack i simply downloaded it, then i checked around the map which texture covers which surface. Then find it in texture pack in qw/textures and replace with another texture under the same filename. If map don't have texture pack alread made for it, there is a program that allow you to check which textures maps .bsp file use, and get their filenames out, but i don't remember how it's called.

Basically, gather textures you want to use ona a map, and then experiment with them. Usually it's needed to adjust gamma settings or color levels, to get better look in game but it's not hard. Even infranview can do it, also you can apply the same settings for many textures at once by using batch option. Also, tileable textures are most commonly used so keep that in mind.

I recommend to download any custom pack for dm6 and start toying with it. This map have very few textures used, so it's good to learn on it. dm4 is also relatively easy to made packs for. I'd say aerowalk and dm2 are more challenging, because they both have odd texturing in some places.
2012-01-06, 22:26
2 posts

Jan 2012
Herb wrote:
I did it that way:

If map already have custom 24-bit texture pack i simply downloaded it, then i checked around the map which texture covers which surface. Then find it in texture pack in qw/textures and replace with another texture under the same filename. If map don't have texture pack alread made for it, there is a program that allow you to check which textures maps .bsp file use, and get their filenames out, but i don't remember how it's called.

Basically, gather textures you want to use ona a map, and then experiment with them. Usually it's needed to adjust gamma settings or color levels, to get better look in game but it's not hard. Even infranview can do it, also you can apply the same settings for many textures at once by using batch option. Also, tileable textures are most commonly used so keep that in mind.

I recommend to download any custom pack for dm6 and start toying with it. This map have very few textures used, so it's good to learn on it. dm4 is also relatively easy to made packs for. I'd say aerowalk and dm2 are more challenging, because they both have odd texturing in some places.

If someone could tell me where to find that program that allows me to see those map textures, that would be great. And thanks for answers!
2012-01-07, 00:13
29 posts

Aug 2009
Herb wrote:
there is a program that allow you to check which textures maps .bsp file use, and get their filenames out, but i don't remember how it's called.

hmm Quark ?
The Bad Place Addicted.
2012-01-07, 20:51
230 posts

Jan 2006
I use Adquedit to check which textures are used in a .bsp file.
http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.shtml
2012-01-07, 22:20
92 posts

Aug 2007
Wally is quite nice.
2012-01-08, 11:47
303 posts

Jun 2007
Moon[Drunk wrote:
']I use Adquedit to check which textures are used in a .bsp file.
http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.shtml

Yeah, this was the one i was thinking about.
2012-01-08, 16:13
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I did a quick textures to png program (extract textures from bsp to .png), dont think its of any use to anyone, but if someones interested i can probably dig it up.
  9 posts on 1 page  1