User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-12-30, 17:07
226 posts

Mar 2007
Why don't we've a free QuakeWorld distribution?

The only problem I can see is Pak1/0.pak.

Solution: We've remakes of all sounds and textures. (besides nQuake could come without textures and with simple items) I suppose the only thing not done is the player model+animatons?
Muffin (or somebody else) could do a remakes of TB3. Same lengths and portions but adding maybe some eyecandy (stfu whiners who say "kenya".
2011-12-30, 17:39
1435 posts

Jan 2006
2011-12-30, 19:41
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:

haha im not clicking all of those. i think one of them will be a rickroll

but they released the .maps right? recompile with the new HD graphics that ID did not make and jobs right?
2011-12-30, 20:43
133 posts

Dec 2008
Because you have had 15 years to decide whether you want to buy it.
I do have bought it. And I am happy with player model.
I am even happy with original textures.

Why should I change to abstract Open Quake?

It makes sense to make a completely new game but there no sense in making it compatible with genuine Quake.

Anyway thanks to all artists and developpers supporting Quake
2011-12-30, 21:31
95 posts

Jun 2006
se-sss wrote:
Because you have had 15 years to decide whether you want to buy it.
I do have bought it. And I am happy with player model.
I am even happy with original textures.

It makes sense to make a completely new game but there no sense in making it compatible with genuine Quake.

Anyway thanks to all artists and developpers supporting Quake

+1
2011-12-31, 02:10
405 posts

Jan 2006
se-sss wrote:

You don't have, you can still use genuine quake, but newcomers, who don't want to buy it will use abstract OpenQuake.

So you basically miss whole point.
<3
2011-12-31, 11:42
344 posts

Nov 2006
This is a legit concern. In this day and age newcomers are not used to it to grab some data files from somewhere and install it in some weird location to get the game running. nQuake helps a bit here but it would still be easier if we ship some free data files with the client. The cool can of course use the original pan files and that is good.

I did look at it recently and tried to programmatically create replacement data from stuff thats out there and seems to be free to use. QRP seemed like a good place to start. Not yet sure what is exactly missing here as I have only scratched the surface.

I found the mindgrind audio stuff but I'm not sure on its distribution to copyright terms honestly..
2011-12-31, 12:29
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I've heard rumours that fodquake hopefully in a near future will be able to run without non-free Id material?
2011-12-31, 12:42
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
I've heard rumours that fodquake hopefully in a near future will be able to run without non-free Id material?

You can run QW now without pak1.pak, but you will miss out on dm2 dm3 dm4 dm6 e1m2 etc

On the nQuake website, why not just link to: [EDIT: links to illegal downloads removed] and this.

There is nothing illegal about providing a hyperlink. If people want to play the game they will... and paying for it will be their own prerogative so why not give them both options easily and up front so they can play now!
2011-12-31, 12:52
1329 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
On the nQuake website, why not just link to: [EDIT: links to illegal downloads removed] and this.

This is the second time admins have to remove a link of illegal download from your replies, let it be the last time. QW.nu does not allow posting links to copyrighted materials, like it says in the forum rule #4.
Servers: Troopers
2011-12-31, 13:12
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
This is the second time admins have to remove a link of illegal download from your replies, let it be the last time. QW.nu does not allow posting links to copyrighted materials, like it says in the forum rule #4.

Geez don't have a cow man. Posting links isn't illegal and I surely didnt know such great exception would be taken to it on the forum... hell the qw.nu forum used to be the place to go when you wanted a Qizmo Key.
2011-12-31, 13:22
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Actually I have just figured out what I am going to do with www [dot] quakeworld [dot] information (minus the rmation).
2011-12-31, 13:23
347 posts

Feb 2006
dirtbox wrote:
Geez don't have a cow man. Posting links isn't illegal and I surely didnt know such great exception would be taken to it on the forum... hell the qw.nu forum used to be the place to go when you wanted a Qizmo Key.

Maybe it's time to familiarize yourself with the rules of the forum.
2011-12-31, 13:34
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
raz0 wrote:
Maybe it's time to familiarize yourself with the rules of the forum.

Yeah I got that the first time the rules link was given to me.
2011-12-31, 17:06
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
I quite don't remember how I installed my quakeworld... but to be honest, if there was a single 1-file download of an .exe that does EVERYTHING for you, including the pak0.pak or whatever it's called it'd bring alot more players. I remember having problems installing quake just because I hadn't bought the game... nQuake gives you everything but kinda the most important file. Any youngster nowadays downloads games from piratebay etc and the only games they accept is games which you simply download altogether and then click the .exe and the game runs as it should.

Point being - anything more complicated means less players.

No idea how it works but I remember I wouldn't have started playing if LocKtar hadn't given me every file necessary xD cuz I wouldn't have been arsed to find them myself.
2011-12-31, 17:42
1435 posts

Jan 2006
What else should nQuake do? Could you be more specific? Have you ever tried nQuake?
2012-01-01, 10:23
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
What else should nQuake do? Could you be more specific? Have you ever tried nQuake?

Speaking from someone who set up QW from scratch a couple of weeks ago using nQuake I have to say I had a pretty playable config and setup up and running in about an hour. My previous config was about 10 years in the making. All of the tedious shite you need to configure like vkick muzzleflash and all of the hundreds of commands that nearly everyone uses the same were already done. You can be competitive just by setting your sensitivity and control keys. Even all the weapon aliases are done in advance +rl +lg etc

Some things of note, the ezQuake version was out of date. Some sample configs of top players would have been great. Good work.
2012-01-01, 13:52
303 posts

Jun 2007
Andeh wrote:
Any youngster nowadays downloads games from piratebay etc and the only games they accept is games which you simply download altogether and then click the .exe and the game runs as it should.

Point being - anything more complicated means less players.

I don't think that kind of players would be interested in QW anyway. Anything more complicated than click and play won't gain attention of such people.

Only thing that took me more time after downloading nQuake was downloading and installing Primevil's simple textures and debug models. It took more time, because Plague's models and skins included in nQuake are hidden in paks. Setting up gfx was easy enough in menu, actually only console commands i used were the ones to gain "lego" look. Then i altered weapons scripts in config, so i changed key binds there also, but i did that because i'm used to such way, everything is doable from the menu. But i doubt fresh players will make such modifications right away.
  18 posts on 1 page  1