User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2011-11-30, 15:59
51 posts

Oct 2011
Foreword: Mushi made me do this. (SCRAP THAT: HE FORCED ME TO DO THIS, HE HAS A SCARY KNIFE).

I suppose instead of making a thread just about "me" because I am nothing spectacular, I'm your bog-standard QuakeWorld player that you'll imagine only plays FFA and goes -30 in duel (Darn Volcano God!). So I'd like to open this thread to the beginners out there, tell us what you found difficult about QuakeWorld, why it was difficult and your main goals on how to break into QuakeWorld.

For example. Mushi made me wrote this (No, not at gun-point. The QW scene is too friendly for that).

Movement in Quakeworld and CPMA came to me quickly due to it's extreme similarity to Counter-Strikes movement (A or D strafing). But gameplay was and still is hard to get used to, timing items, learning to control the map and analyzing what your opponents are doing (If they're being passive and camping an area etc). Sometimes even when you know about gameplay mechanics such as these basics, you still forget to do them so practicing is important. In theory you could have the greatest aim but what's the point in having such great aim if you can't use it because you havent touched your mouse for six years? You'll be rusty and probably wont be able to compete at all if you're a player that relies on having great aim. And I'm saying that outside of my Quake experience. That being said; regular practice and understanding and acting on gameplay experience is important, but perhaps not as important as your settings.

They're personal, they should never leave you. I always hated the idea of playing on someone elses PC because they'll have a different mouse, a different keyboard and different settings of which could perhaps be the complete opposite of my own. It's just unnatural to be playing on foreign set-ups. Which is why I always make my own config suit how I want it to be, including the Heads up Display (HUD), by editing my hud's config as well as creating crosshairs that I find easy and attractive to use. Whenever I make a small change to my config that I prefer over the old settings, I instantly save my config by bringing down console and typing /cfg_save. But when it comes down to the physical stuff such as mice & monitors. I suppose you'll just have to make do.

And finally I feel as though Quakeworld, as a game, is hard to break into now then any other game due to how small the scene is. Whilst the game has one of the comfiest, caring and wonderful scenes where almost everyone does his part to help provide input into helping the game become better. I just can't imagine the game being good when the skill level is too high because of players who have been playing the game for years and have attended every QHLan event since the dawn of time (A bit of an exaggeration). I suppose the most important thing ever is to find people of whom are around your skill level that you can play against and have an actual good game against. Now whilst I believe that to improve at something, you have to play against the best and learn to beat them, but sometimes you just need a friend that you know very well and play with that friend, learning together and keening it. This is probably the hardest thing to do, because it's not just you who has to commit but also the other person. Only recently have I actually managed to find people such as this, such as a Quake Live player that I taught a bit of QuakeWorld to called NukeProof, and a CPMA player that I know called HellTiger.

Edit: He also made me add a conclusion too!

So all in all, I find it important to kind of stay on top of what you want to become in the game (In my case, it's to enjoy the game and gradually get better at it whilst still enjoying myself). You can't call QuakeWorld a great game until you've seen every aspect of it. The good and the bad. To help me propel myself towards that point in my game-life, I always held these things valuable to me: Settings, friends, practice and knowledge. If you can actually load up the game and play it then that's a start, but theres no point in playing a game that no-one plays, fortunately QuakeWorld is a game that has a scene, it has players. Even if they're nocturnal half-men half-demons that still rock it out on Windows 98 and use a trackball-mouse with no middle mouse button that will click on your head with their LG before you even loaded up the map, at least they keep practice - putting themselves in the shape that they want to be in. If you can practice then so can you, always practice to be better. Practice will help you understand the game. Be wide open and be ready to embrace a whole lot of knowledge.
2011-11-30, 16:06
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
...and a good place to find players of rookie skill level should usually be the chat channels #qwrookie and #ignition on Quakenet IRC.

However, i'd like to see more posts in the forum by rookies who are looking for players to practice regularly with, then it shouldn't be too hard finding a suitable opponent!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-12-01, 08:26
24 posts

Nov 2011
I'm also new to QW. Have been playing for 2 weeks now, FFA almost every evening. In average I die twice for every kill I make, at the beginning it was 5 deaths per kill. I've learned the maps, I can get to speed ~400 with the initial bunny hop, and I start getting a feel for the shaft. But now I don't improve anymore. I see that the top players manage to dominate the map. They get RA and Quad, and then they kill 10+ others without dying and might even have enough resources left to renew health and armor and start the slaughter again. I don't even dare approach the quad. Every time I do it is either taken or guarded by someone with RA and RL.

Maybe it's time for duels to get a feel for the item respawn times.

But anyway I have a great time sucking at this game
2011-12-01, 09:23
810 posts

Jan 1970
are you on irc at quakenet? im online almost every night around 22CET. The irc is good way to contact other players. Use http://webchat.quakenet.org/ if not comfortable with other irc-clients. I suck and i know some other nice not hardcore players who suck too. I can hook you up to practice a bit and to know some nice activeish' fellows, look me up. Usually at #oldones and #qwrookie, nick oldgz or such variant.
2011-12-01, 17:29
51 posts

Oct 2011
Sunsh!ne Boy wrote:
I'm also new to QW. Have been playing for 2 weeks now, FFA almost every evening. In average I die twice for every kill I make, at the beginning it was 5 deaths per kill. I've learned the maps, I can get to speed ~400 with the initial bunny hop, and I start getting a feel for the shaft. But now I don't improve anymore. I see that the top players manage to dominate the map. They get RA and Quad, and then they kill 10+ others without dying and might even have enough resources left to renew health and armor and start the slaughter again. I don't even dare approach the quad. Every time I do it is either taken or guarded by someone with RA and RL.

Maybe it's time for duels to get a feel for the item respawn times.

But anyway I have a great time sucking at this game

Interesting. Also if you don't know:
Armour spawn interval is 20 seconds, so if you pickup red at 4:20, it'll then spawn at 4:40.
Megahealth I believe spawns 20 seconds after running out.

I think the teamplay guide on the qw.nu wiki covers most of it. Also if you ever want to duel, you can usually hit me up on IRC at quakenet #ibh #qwrookie #rush-zone.
2011-12-02, 00:25
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Sunsh!ne Boy wrote:
I don't even dare approach the quad. Every time I do it is either taken or guarded by someone with RA and RL.

Get there early (or at least on time) and spam projectile weapons at likely entrances, obviously this depends on map layout but getting position early can make a difference. Also if the server is busy you can often kill the quad guy by maintaining the pressure before he has time to restock on health and armour. You also might want to think about what you are doing when you get weapons and armours, I think many novice players think "job done, now I will wander around looking for frags". Whereas sometimes a more effective strategy is to focus on item timings; just because you have 160RA now doesn't mean you won't need it again in 10s time. Generally speaking, on most maps if you focus on collecting all the powerups and just moving between armours, the frags will likely come to you anyway.

2 weeks isn't anywhere near long enough to have reached a plateau, there will be much more to come. Heck on a server with many maps in rotation, I wouldn't even know the maps after 2 weeks in a new game One thing you could try is spectating other (top) players to see what sort of routines they are using, and be sure to spectate more than one so that you can pick out different strengths.
2011-12-02, 08:31
24 posts

Nov 2011
Thanks for all the tips I think I should go on IRC before playing to find some duelists.

HangTime wrote:
Generally speaking, on most maps if you focus on collecting all the powerups and just moving between armours, the frags will likely come to you anyway.

That sounds like a good strategy. Sometimes I watch the top players to learn the routes they take. But imitating these routes won't work because, well, the top players have the same plan Maybe I should learn the good routes from the top players, then practice them against bots till I can walk them in my sleep, then return from my seclusion and kick some butt.

And I should finally enable the game clock
2011-12-02, 16:56
251 posts

Jul 2007
You shouldn't prac versus bots, if you can actually play versus real enemies.
2011-12-06, 08:05
24 posts

Nov 2011
You're right. I kept playing FFA, and instead of just grabbing RL and fragging one or two guys before being fragged, I grabbed the RL and then went to YA and tried to defend it (RA is too hot for a rookie). First the results were worse than before, but yesterday I had 3 matches in a row where I had more kills than deaths, and so I finished 2nd out of 6

I played some Xonotic in between, looked quite newbie friendly with the auto-bunny and powerup respawn indicator. It's fun, but not much going on on the servers. I think I'd rather stick with just one game, and it looks like this game will be ugly old quake
2011-12-08, 10:42
52 posts

Feb 2008
One of the biggest thing that helped me out with qw is learning to fight while retreating... Practice alone in a server going down hallways and turns forwards and backwards.. when you memorize the maps this gets eaiser of course... Hit and run tatics are very usefull.

Oh well I guess I can add another tip,, the good old double back works nice also.. When your retreating and your sure the guy isnt following you just go back where you were like the biggest sike out you can do is double back 2 or 3 times play with the guys head on where hes thinking about going next..

armors 20 sec's
mega 20 secs after you, or enemy hits 100 health after taking mega..
quad every minute "depending on what time it was picked up" In team games usually it gets delayed soo its never really on the minute every min.. you have to pay attention to the minute:second it was picked up and be back in :60 seconds

so basically if you have mega and red armor for example you control when the mega runs out as long as you can evade and hit your enemy, once you done that you know your opponet is going for armor and health.. so you can produce a stratgey based on those factors and timmings..

almost forgot.. Look at where you respawn,,, memorize the spots where you come back to life.. once you killed someone "shoot the closest spawn point" usually you will end up with a free kill.. This game is the biggest spawn raping game ever..

Hope this helps

OrEx
2011-12-08, 20:27
24 posts

Nov 2011
Thanks for the tips I think the next step is really to learn the item timing. I've enable game clock in the settings, but I only see the time when I press TAB (score screen). Is there a way to have the clock always in the HUD?

I tried to install nquake because it looks like it has better graphics than ezquake, but the installer can't download the packages Is nquake dead?

And what about the 4on4 manual? http://www.quake.ie/comments.asp?item=1524 Links is dead Is there another 4on4 tutorial?

Yesterday I played my first 4on4. The others were quite impressed by my skill
2011-12-08, 21:04
51 posts

Oct 2011
Sunsh!ne Boy wrote:
Thanks for the tips I think the next step is really to learn the item timing. I've enable game clock in the settings, but I only see the time when I press TAB (score screen). Is there a way to have the clock always in the HUD?

I tried to install nquake because it looks like it has better graphics than ezquake, but the installer can't download the packages Is nquake dead?

And what about the 4on4 manual? http://www.quake.ie/comments.asp?item=1524 Links is dead Is there another 4on4 tutorial?

Erm... nQuake is ezQuake. nQuake is just a packaged up version of ezQuake which includes some other files. Also nQuake isn't dead, least it shouldn't be.
2011-12-08, 21:37
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Sunsh!ne Boy wrote:

Game clock
Try hud_gameclock_show 1

4on4
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2327
- A basic 4on4 guide originally written by Ui

http://web.archive.org/web/20060216000214/http://www.challenge-smackdown.com/qwguide/
- Another even older guide to QuakeWorld, written by Apollyon among others, which includes a 4on4 section that is still applicable in most parts. unfortunately the original site is down now, that's why i'm linking via web.archive.org as you can see. However, i noticed that you can also download this qw guide via web.archive.org aswell.

Welcome to the world of 4on4, imo the prime reason to play QW.

Edit: With web.archive.org it's also possible to view the 4on4 guide from Quake.ie you requested and it turned out to be the same content as Apollyon's guide.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-12-09, 14:22
48 posts

Aug 2008
There are also 15 and 25 health boxes... this took me 12 years to learn..
2011-12-09, 14:38
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
lol razor
2011-12-09, 16:20
398 posts

Feb 2006
No wonder FS could never really threaten SR and LA :E
2011-12-11, 08:49
24 posts

Nov 2011
Lol razor. And thanks Ake. And thanks for fragging me a million times on XS4ALL yesterday I've read the DM3 guide, practiced the ring to quad and RA jumps (it works 1 in 3 times and watched ParadokS play it on qtv all night long. Time to retry it!

At FFA I've focused on getting the quad. I had lesser frags than before, but it felt like progress. And I've learnt that quad is worthless without armor.

Also did some 2on1 (!) on DM2, but we both lost with zero frags vs 34 or so...
2011-12-11, 14:19
87 posts

Apr 2011
Thresh's Quake bible, while written for normal Quake, has a lot of strategy to offer if you want more to read.
A lot of rookies, myself included, like 2on2, so getting good games should be doable in the evenings. I'll come play some 2on2 if you want, when things calm down at work. On #qwrookie, you get operator status, so you can use the bot to find games - f ex
Quote:
.qw rookie 2on2 @ server.ip:port map need one!

2on2s are good for learning armor/mh/quad timing, there's less chaos than ffa, and no dropquad. Oh, and you can set the gameclock to count upwards with hud_gameclock_countdown 0 - I was puzzled to find this was not the default setting. As for what to do when you have quad: use shotgun and ssg. I can recommend having separate fire buttons for every weapon, by the way.
2011-12-11, 19:31
24 posts

Nov 2011
Just read the general aspets of the bible. Good read

I did several tries configuring seperate fire buttons, but nothing works so far. It's just too confusing to use other keys than wasd. But that's also one of the reasons why I like quake so much. No additional buttons for run, crouch, reload ... Just move, shoot, jump, switch weapons
  19 posts on 1 page  1