User panel stuff on forum
  20 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-11-10, 05:06
1 post

Nov 2011
Hello all!

I started playing Quake Live about 1.5 years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. However, I heard people constantly rant about this thing called Quakeworld, so I have decided to see what all the fuss is about (not to mention that this is free, and you need to pay yearly to experience all that QL apparently has to offer its users).

I tried to install nQuake on Mac OS X, running Lion, but it gave me an error message about incompatibility with my current operating system every time I tried to run it. Thus, I'll be dual partitioning Windows 7 in the near future. I gotta try out this game!

Just how different/similar is this to Quake Live/3? Is the community generally nice and helpful? Is the community active and dedicated? Are servers generally busy?

Just wanted to say hello, and I hope to be seeing all of you soon in-game for some fragging fun! Cheers!
2011-11-10, 07:08
40 posts

Feb 2009
Hi there, welcome on board,
PPL are nice, servers are crowded and qw is the shit! Try to install ezquake, it is quite ok on OSX as well.
BR, mty
/say_team $R fuck yeah!
2011-11-10, 08:47
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Welcome to QW!
I can't answer the Mac question, but the others:

Quote:
Is the community generally nice and helpful?

Yes, using this forum is the best way of getting answers, or by IRC. I recommend #qwrookie @ quakenet.

wrote:
Is the community active and dedicated?

Yeah and yes. There's always action on xs4all ffa-server. And mixed 4on4 games at qw.foppa.dk:27501. And 2on2 games at pangela.se:28001. And duels here and there.
Tournament wise there's DuelMania (1on1) and European Quake League (4on4).

wrote:
Are servers generally busy?

No. There's always servers for everyone. For example pangela.se (primary swedish server) has like 10 ports (28001-10), and every port can be used to play 1on1/2on2/3on3/4on4/10on10.

Links to all sites you need can be found in the top of this page, the mini icons up there in the top bar
Good luck and welcome.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2011-11-10, 08:56
174 posts

Nov 2006
Q3 CPMA is the closest of quakes compared to QW. The movement there is quite similar aswell as the weps (no rg). The biggest change from quakelive is the speed and that rl makes splash while lg has lots more power . Also RA > MH in qw!

A few things are different with qw is that there's an "official" summerbreak, which means that a really big part of the scene goes inactive during the summer and comes back in the fall. So don't wonder if there isn't that much activity during the summer . Also mornings/daytime might require some spamming through irc channels to find opponents but in the evening/nights there is never a problem to find opponents (this was compared to ql).

People are helpful in qw and usually behave quite mature (except in some official games and this is probably because computergamingwise the players are really old

Usually most questions about qw generally has an answer on wiki.quakeworld.nu or somebody knows on either #quakeworld or #qwrookie, so make sure to join those channels if you already haven't
2011-11-10, 10:03
793 posts

Feb 2006
ezquake mac has a lot of input lag compared to windows version. fodquake for mac seems better but might be a bit bore work to install and setup http://fodquake.project-sheol.org/
or just dual boot. in any case have fun, best shooter there is!
2011-11-10, 10:10
226 posts

Mar 2007
Welcome!

My clans Mac player (mr Goupil) is using EzQuake.
2011-11-10, 10:57
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
If you are on IRC then i would suggest channels #Ignition which is a rookie tournament running now. It's unfortunately too late to sign up for this edition but a new one is coming in January. However, in the channel you will find other fresh players who are up for a game as preparation for their tournament games. The website is http://ignition.qwscene.net

Also #qwrookie is worth a visit and the name implies the purpose of that channel clear enough i think.

Edit: Oh, and btw, WELCOME TO QUAKEWORLD.NU!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2011-11-10, 12:12
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
welcome!
QW isn't a easy game to start with, but if you give it a chance, you will _never_ regret it, and always come back for more.

some links:

web irc - so you can join the channels in previous posts easily

Old but still valid guide

some videos. There MUCH MORE

Custom graphics for Quake

and ofc, some links to PLAY!!
quakeservers.net - web server browser (List of qw servers with ppl )
or you can use QTV (quaketv) to query servers and execute quakeworld from your browser! Has less server than quakeservers.net, but its _the_ choice for observing matchs!
The most famous server is xs4all FFA server (quake.xs4all.nl). its almost everytime crowded!

Have fun!!!!!!!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-11-10, 15:08
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I would recommend dualbooting and playing in windows, or use fodquake and force bigfoot/tuna to make it work nicely in OSX
2011-11-10, 19:26
212 posts

Apr 2006
You probably won't find a more helpful online community for any 3d action game than this one. However, everyone has to put in a lot of practice, configuration, reading and studying to generally understand how the game works and to play on a competetive level - at which even losing is acceptable fun.
2011-11-10, 19:34
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Welcome to QW
2011-11-10, 20:02
139 posts

Feb 2011
have u played demon souls and loved it, then u are in the right place

welcome!
2011-11-11, 04:12
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
Where did he go? =)

Obviously you scared him away with all your niceness and polite conversation.. shoulda raped his ass into submission.
ready!
2011-11-11, 11:15
364 posts

Oct 2006
A noob posts a question and rather than get harassed or ignored, gets 12 useful replies within 24 hours? This board is surreal.
2011-11-11, 12:58
48 posts

Aug 2008
This feels like one of those obscure little towns in a remote place in a movie where no one ever visits. And the people there act all nice etc at first.
I tell you m0zart, get out while you still can!

No I mean stay! Now we are 147 players! We've been stuck on 146 for a long while.
2012-01-17, 22:55
15 posts

Nov 2011
FSrazor wrote:
This feels like one of those obscure little towns in a remote place in a movie where no one ever visits. And the people there act all nice etc at first.

No I mean stay! Now we are 147 players! We've been stuck on 146 for a long while.

Hahahahah, that made my day!
But, you forgot me! :/ Now we're 148!
2012-01-17, 23:19
23 posts

Aug 2009
FSrazor wrote:

Mother is everywhere !! mother won't let us talk to strangers.
2012-01-18, 13:29
121 posts

Mar 2006
not entirely related to this thread, but nonetheless a very interresting article about competitive gaming communities phenomenons:
http://www.lostgarden.com/2009/11/testosterone-and-competitive-play.html

It relates to QW quitte much and especially the experience for noobs. While the welcome here on the forum is warm, cause we all want our community biggerr eh. The ingame experience can be very diffrent. This article explains why, brilliantly.
2012-01-18, 20:41
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I'm gonna go play some SC2. Back to 147 for you lot :p
2012-01-21, 19:47
18 posts

Oct 2009
Does just observing counts? If it does, back to 148.
  20 posts on 1 page  1