User panel stuff on forum
  17 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2011-10-25, 08:06
46 posts

Aug 2011
Just seeing if anyone linux savy can help with by making a couple of settings permanent. It is annoying to type the same thing over and over again every time after a reboot.

The main thing I want to keep permanent (if possible) is the links or paths for /dev/input/eventX. I am using in_evdevice (for example) " /dev/input/event2" with in_mouse "3", but when I reboot my mouse changes from 2 to 5, or whatever. Is there anyway to 'lock' or control the /dev/input/eventX position so it is constant? For exmple making sure my mouse is always /dev/input/event5.

Also, I am currently using razercfg, the utility to adjust razer mice settings under linux, whenever I reboot my settings go back to default after the DAEMON (razerd) loads, which is max speed (1000hz by 3500DPI on a Razer DeathAdder Black Edition), I just want 1000hz by 900 DPI to be constant after loading the DAEMON. Unfortunately so far, the razerd DAEMON isn't supported by Arch Linux to be auto loaded in /etc/rc.conf, so I have to type sudo razerd everytime to load it. Perhaps this is why my qrazercfg settings change?
http://fsgamers.org/home/
2011-10-25, 08:15
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Hmm?? I'm using arch linux, 64bit, ezquake, and razercfg and im not having your problems really.

The issues with evdev event changing number i dont think you can do anything about. However, you can add to the Xorg config that you always prefer 900 dpi.

I think that's what ive done if i remember correctly. Otherwise, try running qrazercfg as root if you havent already.

I don't have any problems with starting razerd daemon at start either? Hmm are you sure you have installed everything correctly?
2011-10-25, 08:44
46 posts

Aug 2011
Interesting, as I am using the same, 64 bit Arch linux and 64 ezquake, which I downloaded and installed through YAOURT. Same with RAZERCFG, I installed through YAOURT. When I installed both manually they didn't work ( I am a linux nub so perhaps I just made a mistake, although I did follow the readme files religiously).

What did you type in the xorg.conf to get 900 DPI? Could I just google this?

How would I run qrazercfg as root? Again I am a Linux nub and I finding things out as I go along.

Perhaps I should uninstall and try reinstalling manually? Last time I did, KDE (maybe it was Gnome) died without an on screen error (don't know where logs are) so I had to reinstall Linux.

Thanks for the reply!
2011-10-25, 09:19
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Hehe well first of all I don't think Arch linux is the most noob-friendly dist there is. But I can check my xorg.conf when I get home, I'm currently at work so I don't have access to my stuff from here.

I don't think installing ezQuake through YAOURT (which I think is like a client for the Arch User Repository, right?) is a good idea, it's better to download the latest version from the website.

Are you sure you have put the razerd at the correct place in /etc/rc.conf? It's sometimes easy to make a mistake and add it to the MODULES instead of DAEMONS?

Installing it manually is a bit harder since the README is written for Ubuntu/Debian, but with a bit of googling i think you could manage that too.
To run qrazercfg as root you could add yourself to the sudoers list by typing visudo and add yourself there, or just su root, and then run it.

Another pro tip is to make a backup copy of every file you change in the beginning. Often you can always hit CTRL-ALT-F1 (F7 is usually your X session), and log in there and replace the faulty file with your backup).
2011-10-25, 12:17
6 posts

Oct 2011
Arch32 here, I had the exact same problem with /dev/input/eventX changing on every boot, I made a udev rule to symlink my mouse to /dev/input/mx518, but after updating Xorg last night it seems to be broken... Once I find a workaround I will post the solution here, but for now it's going to be vim ~/misc/quake/qw/autoexec.cfg after every boot to change eventX
2011-10-25, 20:02
405 posts

Jan 2006
kexi wrote:
Arch32 here, I had the exact same problem with /dev/input/eventX changing on every boot, I made a udev rule to symlink my mouse to /dev/input/mx518, but after updating Xorg last night it seems to be broken... Once I find a workaround I will post the solution here, but for now it's going to be vim ~/misc/quake/qw/autoexec.cfg after every boot to change eventX

There is not so well known ezQuake feature which I added ages ago, so let me quote myself "in_evdevice now can take values which match in_evdevlist command output, so for example I have Logitech G5, it detected by in_evdevlist like "event5: Logitech USB Gaming Mouse", I set in_evdevice to "Logitech" and it detected properly, this helps since event assigned to mouse vary from boot to boot. I should admit what in_evdevice actually take regexp value so you can use something more complex."

So if you have few Logitech devices (say keyboard and mouse) then in_evdevice probably should be set to something like "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse" so it determined unambiguously.
<3
2011-10-25, 20:45
6 posts

Oct 2011
qqshka wrote:
kexi wrote:

There is not so well known ezQuake feature which I added ages ago, so let me quote myself "in_evdevice now can take values which match in_evdevlist command output, so for example I have Logitech G5, it detected by in_evdevlist like "event5: Logitech USB Gaming Mouse", I set in_evdevice to "Logitech" and it detected properly, this helps since event assigned to mouse vary from boot to boot. I should admit what in_evdevice actually take regexp value so you can use something more complex."

So if you have few Logitech devices (say keyboard and mouse) then in_evdevice probably should be set to something like "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse" so it determined unambiguously.

That's excellent, just tried it and it works fine, thanks for the info!
2011-10-26, 06:07
46 posts

Aug 2011
dimman: agreed, arch linux is hard to learn for a linux newbie but I really enjoy using it so I will persist, althought a friend did recommend it too me.

DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng network crond razerd dbus kdm) That is where I have razerd (inside of /etc/rc.conf) and it doesn't work

I get this error whenever I type razerd or load it in the DAEMONS:

Razer device service daemon
librazer: No config file /etc/razer.conf present. Ignoring.

But sudo razerd works!

And yeah, YAOURT is a repository program, my friend suggested using (as well as pacman) to install ezquake and razercfg with that while I am learning how to use linux.

I have added myself to visudo as root by typing username ALL=(ALL) ALL and that allows me access.

Thanks for the tip too by the way!

qqshka: That sounds awesome! Although I do have one question: everytime I reboot and I have to change the eventX for evdevice, it (quake) does not do anything unless I type "sudo chmod 644 /dev/input/event*" (in terminal) to gain read access to that directory, my question is, how do I set this permanently so I don't have to keep typing this?

Thanks for all the help guys!
2011-10-26, 07:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Ok Jambi: I think I removed my xorg.conf DPI setting and instead copied the razer.conf to /etc/razer.conf.

You can manually edit the razer conf, at the respective table for your mouse, and set the default Hz, DPI etc in there.

Try it out.
2011-10-26, 10:09
46 posts

Aug 2011
Thanks dimman, I actually didn't have that file as I don't think YAOURT installed it correctly. I tried installing it manaully again but the new xorg.conf file stops KDE (or anything, gnome or other windows managers) from loading.

But I did find this on the subject:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Razer

I will try again another time when I have more time!
2011-10-26, 11:05
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Jambi wrote:
Thanks dimman, I actually didn't have that file as I don't think YAOURT installed it correctly. I tried installing it manaully again but the new xorg.conf file stops KDE (or anything, gnome or other windows managers) from loading.

Even if you don't have that file, just google razercfg and download the latest release and grab the cfg file from there, apply your changes and put it at /etc/razer.conf ?

Skip changing xorg.conf for now, thats pretty advanced stuff and really shitty to be honest
2011-10-26, 18:54
6 posts

Oct 2011
dimman wrote:
Jambi wrote:

Even if you don't have that file, just google razercfg and download the latest release and grab the cfg file from there, apply your changes and put it at /etc/razer.conf ?

Skip changing xorg.conf for now, thats pretty advanced stuff and really shitty to be honest

Xorg.conf can be a right bitch too for less expierienced users..
2011-10-26, 19:23
1100 posts

Jan 2006
xorg.conf editing should not be necessary on modern Linux systems anyways.
2011-10-27, 05:57
46 posts

Aug 2011
Yeah when I edited xorg.conf it killed KDE as I missed a 0 above the input section, I changed the mouse0 to mouse but I didn't see the other mouse0 above it, so when I tried to run KDE it just died. Saw that, sorted it and it loaded.

Still getting the same error, just won't load automatically. Although it is possibly due to my HDD, as it is an old IDE one that I think is dying, as it is just running slower and slower each day. So I'll get a new Sata HDD next week and I'll do a fresh install and see how I go!

For now I will put up with making an alias for it and loading that automatically at boot with a simple script.

I don't like KDE now after this whole experience as when it wouldn't load it didn't give me an error as to why, so I installed Gnome and GDM and when that wouldn't load, it told me why which is how i figured out to check xorg.conf and found that FREAKING ZERO!!!

Thanks for all the help guys
2011-10-27, 11:40
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Jambi wrote:
Yeah when I edited xorg.conf it killed KDE as I missed a 0 above the input section, I changed the mouse0 to mouse but I didn't see the other mouse0 above it, so when I tried to run KDE it just died. Saw that, sorted it and it loaded.

Still getting the same error, just won't load automatically. Although it is possibly due to my HDD, as it is an old IDE one that I think is dying, as it is just running slower and slower each day. So I'll get a new Sata HDD next week and I'll do a fresh install and see how I go!

For now I will put up with making an alias for it and loading that automatically at boot with a simple script.

I don't like KDE now after this whole experience as when it wouldn't load it didn't give me an error as to why, so I installed Gnome and GDM and when that wouldn't load, it told me why which is how i figured out to check xorg.conf and found that FREAKING ZERO!!!

Thanks for all the help guys

It did load but complained about non existing config file. So have you tried to do as I said and copied the razer.conf to /etc/razer.conf with your DPI/Hz settings?
2011-10-28, 05:38
46 posts

Aug 2011
dimman: Yes I did manually copy the conf over and that did work! 900 DPI by default (which is what I wanted) now I just have to the use the alias for the chmod 644 of /dev/input/event* and alias to sudo razer. I will try this all again next week with my new HDD, for now, it is a lot better then it was!
2012-01-25, 22:19
46 posts

Aug 2011
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I did just FINALLY get it all working. I was a couple of syntax issues for Arch Linux, it needed different syntax too other Linux Distro's.

For anyone who cares, the solution is here.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1047527#p1047527

Thanks again for all the help.
  17 posts on 1 page  1