User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Help  ‹  m_pitch and m_yaw.
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2011-09-22, 07:33
46 posts

Aug 2011
G'day,

I was just interested in finding out what people's opinions are on changing the values of m_pitch and m_yaw. Years ago (2001 ish) when I was a total noob I used to play with m_pitch and m_yaw .2 (the person who taught me how to play quake suggested this for me) and had no idea what the difference was. Years later I eventually went back to default by sheer chance and it seemed to respond more consistently, or so it seemed.

I still use default and since I have totally changed my configuration for quake I figured I should delve into this area once again. So I would just like to ask is there any positives and negatives to using default m_pitch and m_yaw values? Or is it better to change m_pitch and m_yaw, or just one or the other? I crudely understand (I think) that changing these values change the linear curve of acceleration that the mouse follows during movement, if so, why would you want to change this?
http://fsgamers.org/home/
2011-09-22, 07:45
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
There was some issue in the old clients about rounding error. So it was most smooth having sensitivity 1 and changing pitch/yaw according.

And you converted your old sens easy. If you had sens 4.5 and default pitch/yaw 0.022 you simply did 0.022 * 4.5 and set that as new pitch/yaw values, and changed sens to 1. same sens, but felt smoother.

afaik this has been corrected in newer clients so it's no longer needed for this method.

On another note, I have always used slightly higher m_pitch value (looking up and down), because of the thinking that you use less physical movement for that so you need little higher sens. It's easy to move mouse a lot from side to side, but not so easy back and forth.

Here are my settings for reference:

//Input - Mouse
in_m_os_parameters "3"
in_mouse "3"
m_pitch "0.15"
m_yaw "0.1259"

//Input - Misc
sensitivity "1"

Note I still use the sensitivity 1 method from old habbit
ready!
2011-09-22, 08:38
46 posts

Aug 2011
I did know about the rounding problem but I had no idea about that equation, that is, awesome! I have been experimenting with that equation noe and settings and it does seem a bit smoother, almost a TINY bit faster but 'tighter' or more responsive when stopping (which i think is overall, better). I am also experimenting with the higher m_pitch value, which does make rocket jumping easier. But I went a bit ridiculous at first, maybe 20% (or higher) faster m_pitch then m_yaw, now I am at 5% which feels a lot more natural! Thanks again for your help Paradoks!
2011-09-22, 17:54
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Funny, I use the opposite way of things. That is, lower sensitivity for pitch. I have extremely high sensitivity in overall. My reasoning is that for pitch the greatest possible turn will be somewhere around 175 degrees, but for horizontal aiming the greatest possible turn is much greater - at least 180, but even more, in some wild combat scenarios.
2012-10-20, 04:02
4 posts

Oct 2012
I know this thread is dead, but the discussion is rather interesting.
I've been considering experimenting with different m_yaw and m_pitch values, mainly m_yaw, but not sure how much I should increase it from the default without making it uncomfortable.
2012-10-21, 01:24
46 posts

Aug 2011
That will really be a personal thing. When I am experimenting, I try going up and down by increments of 1% of my sensitivity. So if my sensitivity is 4, I do 4 divided by 100 to get .04 and I use that value. If I find 1% is too fast or too slow, then try dividing the 1%. I usually start with quarters. So 1% divided by 4 (.04 divided by 4) and go from there.
  6 posts on 1 page  1