User panel stuff on forum
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Rookies' Corner
2011-08-24, 09:00
35 posts

Aug 2010
i am new in the quakeworld scene and wanted to say HELLO :-).

but this post shall not be sensless. i have read the discussion about how to get more new players and to benefit them. whats to do with the "noobs" of not losing them after some ffa games because they get bashed? i tell you my opinion from my point of view as a new player in qw.

when i played qw first i was fascinated about the gameplay and the very nice qwscene. my first step into qw was on which servern can i play, i knew the game was about 15 years old and i quastion my self "if there are servers existing". and they still, because of this great game :-D. the first server i found was the quake.xs4all.nl:27500 XS4ALL. much players at every time i want to play. i played q3 cpma before so i had not the problems about moving and so on. but one thing disappointed me a bit. with 10 players on the server you get fragt immediately after respawn by spamming rockets or nades or predictionshots. i am a player who comes from teamplaygames and it was a bit hard and boring after a while. i guess some new players have the same problem. but what to do, the problem was discussed in this forum and no solution was found.

in my point of view is that the qw scene must open the gates for other gamemodes like clan arena or fetzmode. fetzmode is an very interesting mode for beginners, you start up with all weapons and armour (no selfdamage is included). after you die you spawn immediately. so you have an mix of clan arena and ffa. the old quakers will say what a newbe mode but this should it be :-D for those who starts up with qw. i dont know if this mode exist in qw, think not. and i dont know how difficult it is to create this mode. but it would be deeply interesting, because the similarity to ffa is there.

for myself i like to see some european clan arena server, because i prefer this game at first. i know there are us-servers but they play when i sleep so the servers are always empty :-/. i got some friend who new in qw too, but they prefer ca too as me. it is possible to set up an clan arena server here in europe by quakeworld.nu? my friends an i joined on an KTX-server and try to start a clan arena game but after typing ready the server says there are not enough players. it is possible to lower the player limit to start the game?

so far, hope for response.

lg maiden in irc sometimes railingmaiden
2011-08-24, 09:27
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
Welcome!

If you get tired of getting fragged instantly when spawning in ffa you could always try to play more 2on2 when you get used to the game. During a 2on2 game you get a little more time to get items and do stuff and one of the players is not shooting at yo (in theory anyway). Especially on DM2 2on2 you are a little more left alone and able to pick up stuff.
Chosen
2011-08-24, 11:03
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
welcome to qw and
thanks for your words.
i hear you, i agree with you on xs4all ffa and dedicated clan arena servers.

advice: when xs4all is crowded. try to get players to join other ffa servers (list). (the one for rookies @ quake.xs4all.nl:27502). Plus, some ktx ports have ffa mode enabled also.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-08-24, 11:36
35 posts

Aug 2010
THX for the welcome :-)

and thx for the rookie server adress, i guess i try to lead some friends to this server.

but it is possible to make a mode like fetzmode? or playing ca in 1on1?

lg maiden
2011-08-24, 11:51
59 posts

Mar 2010
maiden wrote:
THX for the welcome :-)

and thx for the rookie server adress, i guess i try to lead some friends to this server.

but it is possible to make a mode like fetzmode? or playing ca in 1on1?

lg maiden

Yeah "ca" 1on1 is the same as dmm4 mode on normal servers. Type "dmm4" on server or choose some dmm4 map like povdmm4 to automatically get dmm4 mode on. Other arenastyle maps are like amphi,amphi2,dmm4_1,end,oldcrat,arena3,entry,noentry,dm2dmm4...

Also if you didn't already know, this is good server list for normal servers, just copypaste address to qw: http://qtv.quakeworld.nu/?full

If you want grenades allowed and non-unlimited ammo, then type "dmm5".
2011-08-24, 12:23
News Writer
1267 posts

Jun 2007
"non-unlimited" = limited <3
Chosen
2011-08-24, 13:59
35 posts

Aug 2010
thanx a lot,
but i guess in dmm4 selfdamage is on, we just want to play without selfdamage because of moving faster with rockets :-) for example in maps like q3dm6qw

and an other quastion, it is possible to make the maps voteable for the players on the rookie server? that would be graet.

lg maiden
2011-08-24, 14:43
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
simply put teamplay mode 3, type tp in console to toggle that.
ready!
2011-08-24, 18:53
35 posts

Aug 2010
thx for the rookie server it was really funny :-D
2011-08-25, 16:38
370 posts

May 2006
Hey Maiden,

Mushi brought this to my attention and I'll see what I can do about a CA server (I used to run one, but it was empty 99,4% of the time so I when it went down I couldn't be bothered restarting it).

As to Fetzmode, sounds interesting for new players
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2011-08-25, 19:22
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Just enable it in ktx?
2011-08-25, 20:31
35 posts

Aug 2010
i found some ktx server where we can play ca if we want. i tested also instagib, a tip by mushi. it was a real funny match.

by the way the map rotation on the rookie server is great with q3dm6qw and PDM18, thx a lot for that!

lg maiden
2011-08-25, 20:48
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Zalon wrote:
Just enable it in ktx?

that would be too easy

nah, really, i don't think ca in ktx has all the features CACE has.
Besides,
what i want to say is that, it isn't CLEAR that a regular, "all mods available" ktx server has Clan Arena mod (for instance), which isn't good. historically, if a player wants to play CA he'de join a clanarena server, same with CTF.

IMO, if (in this case) Flepser wants to setup a CA server, he has 2 options:
* regular CACE server
* KTX server, but with only Clan Arena enabled and mention it CLEARLY on the MOTD and server name.

that's what i would do. same with other mods, like ctf, and even instagib.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2011-08-25, 20:56
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
maiden wrote:
i found some ktx server where we can play ca if we want. i tested also instagib, a tip by mushi. it was a real funny match.

by the way the map rotation on the rookie server is great with q3dm6qw and PDM18, thx a lot for that!

lg maiden

thx for your input, appreciated
2011-08-27, 10:35
5 posts

Apr 2011
Look, let me tell you something about that arena and fetz.

This is quake here. If you want your no-item dumbed down noob friendly gameplay, go play cs. Ok? I heard they have deathmatch mode like this. But dont come thrash our beloved gameplay that has been the root of quake for ages. No items = dumbed down game. Its that simple.

Also, look at CPMA, and Warsow. Two true skilled games- but because of the easy accessible Clan arena mode, that is all that the kids play there. Why? Because its dumbed down and suits the kids coming from cs. But it spits on the face of everything that quake is about! Same thing on QL. QW is our last haven of true classic DeathMatch play, dont come taint this too, there is no place for sacrilege here!
2011-08-27, 10:49
370 posts

May 2006
Clan Arena has belonged to QW for quite some time and it used to be quite popular as well, what's your point now?
2011-08-27, 11:48
35 posts

Aug 2010
omg nandor! think and write!!!
2011-08-27, 17:02
5 posts

Apr 2011
Thats the point - clan arena is stupid and butchered form of original death match -eliminating the item related positional play and asymmetries of gameplay conditions that it brings. And conveniently, it is also preferred by the masses - the more popular mainstream shooters being based on the concept. As such, embedding it to the game means death through mediocrity.
2011-08-28, 09:42
35 posts

Aug 2010
nandnor if you dont like ca or other team games dont play it, but please let the other players who like it alone. dm is an constant extant in qw and that is GOOD! everyone shall play the mode he like, thats the fact, and no point of discussion is need here!
2011-08-28, 11:21
253 posts

Nov 2007
Nandnor, what do you mean on "original deathmatch"? FFA?
cheat 2 win!
2011-08-28, 13:16
87 posts

Apr 2011
Well, dmm4 is kinda popular, but, uh, I don't think it'll 'kill' normal dmm3.

Btw, Rocket Arena has been here since 97, and people still play normal deathmatch...
2011-08-28, 14:19
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
It's kind of a dilemma. QW is hardcore, and the Cadillac of quake is 4on4 tdm and 1on1. dmm4 aim maps, rocket arena, and clan arena are for noobs... for console gamers that are used to learning the game and owning in 2 minutes. 4on4 tdm and 1on1 are hard modes. So if they keep playing aim maps or arena they will never learn REAL quake. The chess of quake.. 4on4 tdm or 1on1. Postional advantage, item management, area control.. and we know how many console users and the like are afraid to learn something that is hard - they will just stick with the easy modes and never advance.. that will split users into aim map donkeys and, imo, real quakers. That's just a shame

But then again I'm a little hypocritical, cause I enjoy dmm4 mode as much as the next guy
I just consider myself a 4on4 player firstmost and dmm4 modes are for fun on the side, not my main mode.
ready!
2011-08-28, 15:25
226 posts

Mar 2007
ParadokS wrote:
and we know how many console users and the like are afraid to learn something that is hard - they will just stick with the easy modes and never advance.. that will split users into aim map donkeys and, imo, real quakers. That's just a shame

Yeah, it's basically the same thing with different maps, some like to stay in ez mode called tb3 we call them tb3 donkeys, others want to learn something new, they're the real playaz.
2011-08-28, 15:28
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
learn something new? you don't even know the old
Try and master TB3 before you venture out plz.
ready!
2011-08-28, 15:31
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
There is plenty of variety for everyone i think.. we got diverse 4on4 maps, 1on1 maps, different modes like midair, dmm4 aim maps, trick maps, FFA maps... I don't really see the problem.
ready!
2011-08-28, 15:49
462 posts

Jan 2006
Heh so the modes were you just happen to be good are the "real" modes and the modes where you suck (because you can't aim etc) are "for noobs". Convenient. Nah, it's all Quake. People like to play the modes that suit them and they feel they're best at. That said, pov > all.

The only modes designed into the game by id software are ffa and teamplay. All the rest is made up by us, the scene. Some modes emphasize strategic play and item timing and some aim and movement. I came to QW with Wolf3d and DooM background so for me "first person shooter" always meant a game where the emphazis is on aim, movement and non-stop action. I've always felt that qw 1on1 was extremely boring. But I don't want to take anything away from good duelers, they're great at what they do and they have a different kind of skills set.
2011-08-28, 16:26
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
movement/aim is huge parts of 1on1/4on4, but its the ONLY part of dmm4/arena style play.
ready!
2011-08-29, 10:58
5 posts

Apr 2011
Agreed. And that is why it is necessary to avoid tainting the game by saturating the servers with that content, and remain true to the real quake content.

Let us learn lesson from the mistakes of CPMA and Warsow, which have been hijacked by noobs playing clan arena maps 24/7 and dead duel&ffa scene
2011-08-29, 12:11
253 posts

Nov 2007
imho ffa is far more noobish then ca :E
but that doesnt matter. I just still dont understand why do you feel that it's a problem if somebody plays ca/pov/end/endif. all of them requires more skill then your beloved ffa...
cheat 2 win!
2011-09-08, 18:08
370 posts

May 2006
I have started a CA server, test it, as I haven't really looked into the server details and settings:
clanwars.xs4all.nl:27520
equals
194.109.69.76:27520
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page